Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 04:03 PM

720 posts, read 729,122 times

Advertisements

Went to an economic meeting with government and top officials in the phx metro area - we're good for at least another 2 years no signs of slowing down -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 06:39 PM

2,803 posts, read 3,159,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
Went to an economic meeting with government and top officials in the phx metro area - we're good for at least another 2 years no signs of slowing down -
I'm not sure if you can see two years ahead but currently I'm not seeing any significant weakening in economic indicators either. One of the most interesting indicators for RE prices IMO is lumber futures prices and they are very close to a high, having recovered from a recent pull back. Unless I see significant weakening in lumber futures prices I'm not too concerned for RE prices nationwide. Lumber futures prices "look" 6-12 months ahead.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:19 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,291,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
I don't disagree, but they wouldn't know any more or less than a lot of other so called experts.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:25 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,227,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I would not compare stock market to RE market, neither for investing nor living purposes. Totally different markets requiring different approaches. Do what you are comfortable with. From my experience for most people the stock market is not the way to go... human nature is so bad to deal with uncertainty and volatility. It almost forces us to make bad decisions. Not trying to brag, it is not a question of being smart. In fact being smart is often an obstacle for investing in stocks. Most chimps outperform humans in the stock market, I'm sure.
Most studies show investing in a S&P or Dow fund will outperform the market "experts" virtually every time. I've always done better than the "investment experts" we've hired and I'm no expert in the market. I guess there are people that can outperform the market but they're working for people like Buffett & Bezos.

I do compare how my real estate is doing compared to my stock investments in deciding how I want to invest my future capital.

I think Phoenix market is still about 40% below being in bubble territory.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Most studies show investing in a S&P or Dow fund will outperform the market "experts" virtually every time. I've always done better than the "investment experts" we've hired and I'm no expert in the market. I guess there are people that can outperform the market but they're working for people like Buffett & Bezos.

I do compare how my real estate is doing compared to my stock investments in deciding how I want to invest my future capital.

I think Phoenix market is still about 40% below being in bubble territory.
Doubt very much you are going to see a 40% rise in real estate prices before some sort of correction.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:48 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,227,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Doubt very much you are going to see a 40% rise in real estate prices before some sort of correction.
I was referring to the Phoenix market specifically...we'll see.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I was referring to the Phoenix market specifically...we'll see.
So, was I. 40% more from current levels is "a lot." We shall see.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:45 PM

550 posts, read 1,482,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
This is exactly our situation. How long did it take you to find something? Did you look from another state? Where in Phoenix did you end up? We're considering giving up over the lack of inventory.
We wound up buying a remodeled house out in NE Mesa, near Longbow Marketplace. I think in a hot market, buying something that needs a lot of work is rarely a good deal. Houses that needed 40-50k of work would be priced only 20-30k under market. So in the end remodeled houses were all we looked at. I also didn't want to buy a flip because frankly those are basically cheaply remodeled houses. We lucked out in finding a house that had been remodeled in the last two years. The owners were an unmarried couple who split up and neither could afford the house on their own. I was very picky about what I was willing to buy and ultimately it took us about a year to find what I wanted and make it stick (namely, a 3/2+ house that didn't need much work with a north or east-facing backyard, 2+ garage, and pool). We will be remodeling the pool and installing granite countertops, but flooring, roof, and HVAC were all done. And the pool and countertops can be done whenever we want.

Moved in last weekend, so much nicer than a crappy apartment, that's for sure!

Old 04-02-2018, 05:19 PM

300 posts, read 439,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
We wound up buying a remodeled house out in NE Mesa, near Longbow Marketplace.
Hey I'm closing on a place out there next week! The home had been on the market for ~30 days and they accepted our first offer. Meanwhile some places we looked at in Chandler were off the market by the time we got home from looking. I think horrible pictures were part of the problem.

We went for a place in Red Mountain Ranch that didn't need any repairs, and some stuff like the kitchen and pool had been updated, and the older stuff like the bathrooms weren't that bad because they're built in the 90s anyway.

Most of my peers and I are in our mid-twenties and looking to buy within the next year or 2.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:59 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,146,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
We wound up buying a remodeled house out in NE Mesa, near Longbow Marketplace. I think in a hot market, buying something that needs a lot of work is rarely a good deal. Houses that needed 40-50k of work would be priced only 20-30k under market. So in the end remodeled houses were all we looked at. I also didn't want to buy a flip because frankly those are basically cheaply remodeled houses. We lucked out in finding a house that had been remodeled in the last two years. The owners were an unmarried couple who split up and neither could afford the house on their own. I was very picky about what I was willing to buy and ultimately it took us about a year to find what I wanted and make it stick (namely, a 3/2+ house that didn't need much work with a north or east-facing backyard, 2+ garage, and pool). We will be remodeling the pool and installing granite countertops, but flooring, roof, and HVAC were all done. And the pool and countertops can be done whenever we want.

Moved in last weekend, so much nicer than a crappy apartment, that's for sure!

Congrats on your new house. Just wanted to mention granite is out. Most tile and slab stores hardly sell it anymore. Quartz is in now and marble if you can afford it but mainly quartz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area