Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 07:29 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmccormick44 View Post
In a perfect world right!?

I know this is a total first world problem as I can afford to live in a community where I wouldn't need to post this question but being new to the area still and not knowing, figured I should ask! Who wouldn't want to build their own home if they could lol!
Well, just to put things in perspective- if you look at the crime map for your current location (59th and 101), you’ll probably see lots of “crime” at the businesses there - people stealing car stereos from apartments, people grabbing a six pack from the party store and running, shoplifting at the depot, even traffic stops where someone gets pulled over from the 101 and stops on Beardsley (and has a warrant) all end up on the map. My brother lived at 51st and 101 for ~8 years & it was actually very “Mayberry” like, but the crime map made it look pretty rough. If you park your car inside the garage, you eliminate about 90% of your chances of being a crime victim there yourself.

Part of the original focus of “crime mapping” is for cops to find out where to patrol- because just a couple of meth-heads on a multi-week binge can burglarize multiple houses per day for a few weeks before they finally get caught or shot by a homeowner. My own neighborhood had a crime spree exactly like that - we turned from “green” to “red” & back to “green” literally because of two people on meth.

Eight burglaries in two weeks in a four block area is more likely a small-time meth spree rather than living next to the guys from oceans 11. Home invasions are quite often bad people robbing other bad people.

A constant source of “crime” in my old neighborhood was the *church* across the street- when the church was remodeled, the contractors left storage trailers in the parking lot that got burglarized (for tools) sometimes twice a week. Then some car thieves decided that a church was a great place to park stolen cars for a couple days (in case they had gps/lo-jack or onstar) before re-stealing them and taking them to be chopped up.

You could be totally oblivious to “crime” like that & never really be in actual danger of being a victim- no one was getting carjacked, robbed or murdered & the entire neighborhood felt perfectly safe walking their dogs or jogging after dark.

So, just know that crime mapping isn’t the end of it - a given area might look like Beirut if you don’t dig into the data. And a bright green area might be hell on earth for homeowners if there’s a militant for-profit property management company running the HOA. I’d much rather get my ipod stolen out of my car than get (legally) shook-down by a property manager for $100 per week “violations” like forgetting to roll my trash bin into the backyard, or having a cable-tv wire that isn’t painted the same color as the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area