U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM

7,957 posts, read 13,750,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK_7NAE-rKE

They'll never be satisfied until they have all of your disposable income in their hand to redistribute so that everyone is equally miserable.

Naturally except them...they are of a different class, the do the distributing.
Yes, those that sacrifice to teach our children are after all of our disposable income. I hope this was just a failed attempt at comedy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 01:39 PM

6,714 posts, read 9,824,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
The only real way is to raise income taxes. Let's not kid ourselves. The question is, who should pay more, and how much more.
The ones with kids in public school, and the ones who are staunch advocates of keeping the education system public are the ones who should pay higher income (and/or property) taxes. The rest of us who have no kids and/or don't use the public schools should rightfully receive a tax cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'll support legalized pot for teacher raises
I would as well. Since I don't use marijuana, it wouldn't affect my wallet at all. I look at it this way: the schools have been going to pot for years, so why not legalize pot?
()

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
Always remember...if you want to pay the higher taxes, that can be arranged. You can overpay and feel good about yourself any time you wish.
Exactly right! I can't emphasize enough how overly burdened the states' budgets are just from public education funding alone. Almost 70% of our property taxes go toward education. As a nation, we spend more government money on schools than almost all other countries in the world! This is a HELL OF A LOT OF REVENUE we pour into the school system ... yet, the results are substandard, and the liberals always cry for more funding. It's a vicious circle that will never end as long as education continues to be run, managed, and financed by the government.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:27 PM

211 posts, read 84,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I support them BUT I am afraid I wouldn't like teachers getting paid a lot to teach my 4 year old about gay, transgender and feminism and anti this and that speech. Schools and colleges are becoming training grounds for future communist, entitled millennial know-it-alls. We should change methods and curriculum first before we dish out more money for these teachers. Otherwise, people will keep sending their kids to charters
Your make-believe fantasy world seems an odd, yet comical one to live in.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:43 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,431,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The ones with kids in public school, and the ones who are staunch advocates of keeping the education system public are the ones who should pay higher income (and/or property) taxes. The rest of us who have no kids and/or don't use the public schools should rightfully receive a tax cut.
Would you also apply the same logic for those who aren't married? Why should singles shoulder a heavier tax burden just because of a legal status?

Old 04-25-2018, 04:21 PM

22,973 posts, read 24,160,694 times
This sounds like fake news to me......

Quote:
A Phoenix television anchor is claiming that the #RedForEd movement of striking teachers is actually an underhanded maneuver to legalize recreational marijuana in Arizona.

On Tuesday, Fox 10 Phoenix (KSAZ-TV) host Kari Lake tweeted an image of a T-shirt to back up her idea. The shirt showed a marijuana leaf overlaid on the state of Arizona and the words #GREENforED. A version of the design that Lake tweeted is for sale on the independent T-shirt marketplace Teepublic.
Phoenix T.V. Host Says Teacher Strike is About Legalizing Pot | Phoenix New Times

Old 04-25-2018, 04:22 PM

34,001 posts, read 43,714,153 times
Just looking at azcentral, the walkout tomorrow will close 1000 district and charter schools statewide with 850,000 students not in classes. There could be 50,000 or more teachers and supporters marching on the capitol.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:30 PM

4,030 posts, read 7,863,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Just looking at azcentral, the walkout tomorrow will close 1000 district and charter schools statewide with 850,000 students not in classes. There could be 50,000 or more teachers and supporters marching on the capitol.
We've received word in Chandler that schools are closed both Thursday and Friday.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:40 PM

6,714 posts, read 9,824,019 times
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...elp/548143002/

This is why it pays to be employed at a large corporation. Many of them are stepping up and offering reimbursements for daycare to employees who are being affected by the walkout. Sure a lot better than sticking the taxpayers with the bill!

Old 04-25-2018, 04:52 PM

34,001 posts, read 43,714,153 times
Tomorrow is bring your kid to work day, too. Good timing.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:54 PM

4,397 posts, read 2,722,778 times
A pot tax would not make a big difference. Colorado gets about $200M in taxes from pot. If you adjust for the somewhat higher population in AZ one might predict $250M here. That comes to a little over $200/student. Not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area