Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 07:40 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It isn't fake news, it was just a deleted tweet. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ion/552217002/
I didn't think the local Fox stations (unless they were a Sinclair owned station) would be as bad as Fox News, but in the last week they have. Fellow anchor John Hook did the same thing this week attacking teachers on KTAR, even saying they should have negotiated with lawmakers when in reality the lawmakers (namely Ducey) wouldn't. Mac and Gaydos (The interviewers) even called him out on it. Podcast Player Archives - KTAR.com

It is safe to say Fox 10 is bisaed towards the right. Luckily Arizona is a right leaning state but in these cases, these anchors are wrong and prove to be typical Fox sock puppets. I kind of wish they were a Sinclair owned station come to think of it, at least you can "trust" them...
Lake did some half-arsed apology last night saying how much she loved teachers but not much about how sorry she was for making stupid remarks on air. I don't know what has come over the local FOX station. They used to be pretty neutral but are now airing talking heads from FOX news with political viewpoints presented as news and, as you observe, even the hosts are getting in on it. I liked to watch them for the 9pm time slot. Local news should really be a spin free zone, IMO. I am dumping them for 3 after this Lake incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 08:18 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
But why not during the previous admin? If it has been going on for so long why not strike when a sympathetic POTUS is in the house?
This particular potus has been quite adamant that the economy is just glorious, the stock market has been on an incredible tear & bonuses have never been higher for those in the corporate world. If you can’t get a raise when the economy is peachy, when can you get a raise?

You can play a lot of games with budgeting, but the bottom line is government revenues are dependent on economic activity. You collect more income taxes when there’s more income. You collect more sales taxes when there are more sales, you collect more property taxes when property is worth more.

There’s more money in the pot to play with & it’s being diverted away from teachers. Employees in the private sector have often had to accept no raises when their company has no profits, but they start asking when times are good. This is exactly the same thing & it’s not unpatriotic or evil or bad, it’s fair.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Lake did some half-arsed apology last night saying how much she loved teachers but not much about how sorry she was for making stupid remarks on air. I don't know what has come over the local FOX station. They used to be pretty neutral but are now airing talking heads from FOX news with political viewpoints presented as news and, as you observe, even the hosts are getting in on it. I liked to watch them for the 9pm time slot. Local news should really be a spin free zone, IMO. I am dumping them for 3 after this Lake incident.
I'm with you! NBC 12 got in lock step with the Dems/left talking points so I jumped to Fox local which was fairly neutral then this happens along with a couple of other incidents so now I'll just stick with CBS local.

These people are supposed to be REPORTERS not opinion/political/spin masters...

Old 04-26-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
This particular potus has been quite adamant that the economy is just glorious, the stock market has been on an incredible tear & bonuses have never been higher for those in the corporate world. If you can’t get a raise when the economy is peachy, when can you get a raise?

You can play a lot of games with budgeting, but the bottom line is government revenues are dependent on economic activity. You collect more income taxes when there’s more income. You collect more sales taxes when there are more sales, you collect more property taxes when property is worth more.

There’s more money in the pot to play with & it’s being diverted away from teachers. Employees in the private sector have often had to accept no raises when their company has no profits, but they start asking when times are good. This is exactly the same thing & it’s not unpatriotic or evil or bad, it’s fair.
I love the Capitol's new talking point which is "it's the school district's fault, we give them money and they decide who gets what". Point fingers everywhere BUT at themselves...

Old 04-26-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I love the Capitol's new talking point which is "it's the school district's fault, we give them money and they decide who gets what". Point fingers everywhere BUT at themselves...
The problem is not enough to go around. The schools have to choose to buy tires for the buses, fix the AC, buy/replace chromebooks and tablets (textbooks are so 20th century), deal with skyrocketing health premiums, etc. or give raises - all on $1000 per student less than they had just a few years ago. It's an educational Sophie's choice. Arizona is not some broke state with a declining economy and people moving away. Things are booming again and it is high time we make our schools whole with the growing revenue from that boom.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The problem is not enough to go around. The schools have to choose to buy tires for the buses, fix the AC, buy/replace chromebooks and tablets (textbooks are so 20th century), deal with skyrocketing health premiums, etc. or give raises - all on $1000 per student less than they had just a few years ago. It's an educational Sophie's choice. Arizona is not some broke state with a declining economy and people moving away. Things are booming again and it is high time we make our schools whole with the growing revenue from that boom.
I've heard it explained that back in 2009/2010 (ish) everyone took a reduction due to the economy tanking which was fair, the dollars just weren't there. Now that the economy has recovered they should be returned to prior levels.
If they had the money prior to the crash why wouldn't they have it now given the economic growth that's been going on for a few years now?

Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I've heard it explained that back in 2009/2010 (ish) everyone took a reduction due to the economy tanking which was fair, the dollars just weren't there. Now that the economy has recovered they should be returned to prior levels.
If they had the money prior to the crash why wouldn't they have it now given the economic growth that's been going on for a few years now?
Ducey claims they have the money. I saw him on the news this morning. There are legislators though that say otherwise and those who want to put the money into a rainy day fund. What they fail to acknowledge is that it has been raining cats and dogs in education for a decade or more.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:08 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Don't forget breakfast.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:32 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

I understand all that. Thanks for the explanation on how taxes work. Maybe in your next lesson you can teach me about debt.

I'm all for getting TEACHERS what they deserve. My issue is with this particular strike and the claim that it's a grassroots movement.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
I'm with you! NBC 12 got in lock step with the Dems/left talking points so I jumped to Fox local which was fairly neutral then this happens along with a couple of other incidents so now I'll just stick with CBS local.

These people are supposed to be REPORTERS not opinion/political/spin masters...
NBC12 leans Dem at times but not annoyingly so like Fox 10 with being conservative puppets. Fox 10 (KSAZ) is owned and operated by Fox TV so it shouldn't surprise anyone their slant. When I lived in New York, I don't even recall WNYW being THAT conservative. Then again we are in a hyper-biased era of the news. If you know to look at bias, it is easy to find it and it is easy to dismiss news that you don't agree with due to "bias" and look to aim for news that aligns with your views.

ABC-15 and from what I heard KTAR aren't that blatantly biased. AZ-3 is pretty fair too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area