U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-26-2018, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
3,427 posts, read 3,341,682 times
Reputation: 4831

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
no, not upset, just punish them at the ballot booth
Did the parallel escape you or are you just ignoring it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2018, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Peoria, AZ
972 posts, read 1,194,912 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
His opponent is perfectly poised because of this exact demonstration. He’s an educator himself.

David Garcia. https://dg4az.com/meet-david/

Ducey (and more importantly his donors) are trying to get ahead of this teacher issue because it will cost him his job. I’ve noticed that some local news anchors (namely Fox10 and KTAR) have started coming out against RedforEd. Bizarrely Kari Lake is trying to make it some underground marijuana legalization conspiracy.
KTAR has made a turn to the far right in recent years.

Fox 10 is owned by News Corp. so that isn't surprising.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
3,427 posts, read 3,341,682 times
Reputation: 4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Where did anyone say anything about this being anti-political? Politics are what caused the current environment.

And a random bus pic with zero context proves nothing.
Yup...the narrative keeps changing. Everyone knows we need to fund our schools better. We pay our teachers peanuts. This should have been a slam dunk. Find the money in the budget (unlikely) or pass an initiative on the next ballot to fund a salary increase. Asking the Governor (who has no budgetary power, everything has to go through the Legislature) to wave a magic wand and find them $1.5B is not going to happen. No Republican is going to push for a tax increase. No one is looking at the 217 school districts in AZ, many of whom have a SINGLE SCHOOL in the district, and see where we can save some money. The Districts...who actually SET the teachers' salary...have been eerily quiet during this whole debate. I am sure the collective Superintendents sitting on $200k+ salaries don't want the public looking at them too closely. Today was nothing but political grandstanding.

The Teachers walked out...can't really call it a strike since they aren't staying out of the classroom until something gets fixed. They are back in school on Monday (according to the CUSD letter I received this afternoon). The legislature just called their bluff. They may collectively get voted out at some point...but more than likely not. The Governor will probably get voted out of office...but then Garcia is going to have to deal with the legislature. They will likely take up the issue again if they don't at least band-aid it now...but with a Democrat Governor, they can pass new taxes to get it done. (BTW while this was all going on, the legislature raised your vehicle registration fees...or maybe you missed that). So, yes, this morning they left and took a long weekend. Nothing is going to get resolved before Monday and more than likely, not before July. They DON'T HAVE THE MONEY. This walk out/strike did NOTHING.

As for the bus, the photo was taken by KTAR at the rally today. Nice of the puppet master to show up at his rally.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 08:35 PM
 
Location: northwest valley, az
3,064 posts, read 1,824,792 times
Reputation: 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Did the parallel escape you or are you just ignoring it
Nope, got it 100%!

Hopefully, the teachers actually do come back on monday, its brutal on parents if it goes into next week

I will bet that the pot legalization is a slam dunk now, even though we all know that the revenue will neither be enough to solve this problem, nor will it all go to education; remember, the lottery money was supposed to solve the education shortfall around the country..

Havent been out here long enough to know for sure, but if its true that the funding was reduced during the 2008++ budget nightmare, then, at this point, I guess some, if not all of that, should be restored, since there is a pretty strong economy is Arizona at this point..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
3,427 posts, read 3,341,682 times
Reputation: 4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Nope, got it 100%!

Hopefully, the teachers actually do come back on monday, its brutal on parents if it goes into next week

I will bet that the pot legalization is a slam dunk now, even though we all know that the revenue will neither be enough to solve this problem, nor will it all go to education; remember, the lottery money was supposed to solve the education shortfall around the country..

Havent been out here long enough to know for sure, but if its true that the funding was reduced during the 2008++ budget nightmare, then, at this point, I guess some, if not all of that, should be restored, since there is a pretty strong economy is Arizona at this point..
There was definitely a shortfall in 2008, all the funding in the state took cuts due to the Great Recession. That was not the start of it though. Education funding really started declining in 1990...prior to that we were about national average. Good ol Symington took his swipe at education by allowing Charter Schools (1995), Nepalitano got sued for trying to combine school districts...Hull and Brewer didn't do much and then there is Ducey. He is trying to do something but he just doesn't have the money in the budget. We have gone from a $3.5B budget in the 1990s to a $9.8B budget today...with the amount of students and families moving into the state we are trying to play catch up to the 2008 spending on K-12 (which seems to be a bubble in itself honestly, the highest in a 30 year period). Still a large amount of the State budget goes towards Education. The districts then also receive state and local funds (property taxes) to set up their budgets. Lottery money? I don't think anyone knows where that goes.

Don't get me wrong...there is a shortfall in State spending. This needs to be fixed...this walkout though is political theater. It solves NOTHING.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 04-26-2018 at 09:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 10:00 PM
 
2,424 posts, read 967,600 times
Reputation: 2404
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
That's why California is facing a budget crises.
California us no longer facing a budget crisis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 PM
 
Location: SDL/PDX/RDU
6,367 posts, read 3,261,926 times
Reputation: 7119
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Asking the Governor (who has no budgetary power, everything has to go through the Legislature) to wave a magic wand and find them $1.5B is not going to happen. No Republican is going to push for a tax increase.
Which was in essence what I emailed to Ducey this afternoon. If he's unable to use the clout of the Governorship to help resolve matters, of what use is he? Why support someone in a leadership position if they fail to lead?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 12:46 AM
 
2,305 posts, read 4,721,186 times
Reputation: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
There was definitely a shortfall in 2008, all the funding in the state took cuts due to the Great Recession. That was not the start of it though. Education funding really started declining in 1990...prior to that we were about national average. Good ol Symington took his swipe at education by allowing Charter Schools (1995), Nepalitano got sued for trying to combine school districts...Hull and Brewer didn't do much and then there is Ducey. He is trying to do something but he just doesn't have the money in the budget. We have gone from a $3.5B budget in the 1990s to a $9.8B budget today...with the amount of students and families moving into the state we are trying to play catch up to the 2008 spending on K-12 (which seems to be a bubble in itself honestly, the highest in a 30 year period). Still a large amount of the State budget goes towards Education. The districts then also receive state and local funds (property taxes) to set up their budgets. Lottery money? I don't think anyone knows where that goes.

Don't get me wrong...there is a shortfall in State spending. This needs to be fixed...this walkout though is political theater. It solves NOTHING.
Add this to your previous comment:

No one is looking at the 217 school districts in AZ, many of whom have a SINGLE SCHOOL in the district, and see where we can save some money. The Districts...who actually SET the teachers' salary...have been eerily quiet during this whole debate. I am sure the collective Superintendents sitting on $200k+ salaries don't want the public looking at them too closely. Today was nothing but political grandstanding.

And we're talking turkey.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
3,427 posts, read 3,341,682 times
Reputation: 4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Which was in essence what I emailed to Ducey this afternoon. If he's unable to use the clout of the Governorship to help resolve matters, of what use is he? Why support someone in a leadership position if they fail to lead?
Well...I don't consider politicians "Leaders" per se rather than Employees...but that is another topic. You aren't looking at what the Governors' role and scope of power/responsibility is when it comes to the budget. He or she can make proposals and design the budget...it still has to be passed by Legislature...you know...the peoples' representatives in Government. The Governor can't just say something and it "shall be so"...that is more of a Dictatorial role. The AEA is asking for $1.5B in additional funding. Please tell us where that is going to come from given our current budget:

AZ State Budget
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
3,427 posts, read 3,341,682 times
Reputation: 4831
FWIW...CUSD just reported schools will remain closed on Monday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top