U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 AM

22,973 posts, read 24,141,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Actually...you don't have to be a certified teacher to "teach" in AZ...and they are offering Substitutes (i.e. scabs) an extra...wait for it...$10 DOLLARS PER DAY.
My son is one of those Substitute teachers hoping to go full time in the near future. A couple of classes that he'd love to teach came up on the Substitute webpage earlier this week. We talked as he was really conflicted about doing what he really wanted vs supporting the profession he hopes to enter.
Given he's not a full time employee I advised he stay out of either side of it as it's a no-win situation.

As for being Certified, we just found out what it takes to become Certified.
$$ and a couple of tests is all it takes...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 09:38 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,428,396 times
Quote:
Actually...you don't have to be a certified teacher to "teach" in AZ...and they are offering Substitutes (i.e. scabs) an extra...wait for it...$10 DOLLARS PER DAY.
I'd want to say I'm surprised and outraged, but I'm honestly not. It's pretty sad it has gotten to this point.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:57 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,334,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
My son is one of those Substitute teachers hoping to go full time in the near future. A couple of classes that he'd love to teach came up on the Substitute webpage earlier this week. We talked as he was really conflicted about doing what he really wanted vs supporting the profession he hopes to enter.
Given he's not a full time employee I advised he stay out of either side of it as it's a no-win situation.

As for being Certified, we just found out what it takes to become Certified.
$$ and a couple of tests is all it takes...
Understood...my wife is a former educator and we have a few friends that either are or were teachers in this state. Teachers, in general, are passionate for their profession and WANT to be in the classroom, but teachers are getting the shaft here. They have been for years along with the State funding levels of our schools. If we want to attract businesses to this state...our education funding is a big deterrent. No parent wants to send their kids to an under-performing school. You see it time and time again on this forum, when looking for relocation information people ask about Charters, Private Schools and the best performing Public Schools.

Interestingly enough...despite our State funding debacle...many schools in AZ are nationally ranked (no I am not talking about BASIS). Charter schools aside, many of our students in the Public system get full ride academic scholarships, go on to Ivy League schools and opportunities in Fellows programs both domestically and abroad. The higher performing schools are turning out graduates well above the State Average, all on mediocre pay.

Our teachers are amazing and have one of the hardest jobs in modern society. I support additional funding, we in CUSD have been doing it for years through our support of Bonds to pay for things we needed for our schools. My criticism is this walk out.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 04-27-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 AM

3,061 posts, read 1,818,283 times
Quote:
I support additional funding. My criticism is this walk out.
My feelings exactly

Old 04-27-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Understood...my sife is a former educator and we have a few friends that either are or were teachers in this state. Teachers, in general, are passionate for their profession and WANT to be in the classroom, but teachers are getting the shaft here. They have been for years along with the State funding levels of our schools. If we want to attract businesses to this state...our education funding is a big deterrent. No parent wants to send their kids to an under-performing school. You see it time and time again on this forum, when looking for relocation information people ask about Charters, Private Schools and the best performing Public Schools.

Interestingly enough...despite our State funding debacle...many schools in AZ are nationally ranked (no I am not talking about BASIS). Charter schools aside, many of our students in the Public system get full ride academic scholarships, go on to Ivy League schools and opportunities in Fellows programs both domestically and abroad. The higher performing schools are turning out graduates well above the State Average, all on mediocre pay.

Our teachers are amazing and have one of the hardest jobs in modern society. I support additional funding, we in CUSD have been doing it for years through our support of Bonds to pay for things we needed for our schools. My criticism is this walk out.
I don't think they had a choice. Do it before the start of school and cause the delay of the start vs doing it now? I don't think there's a difference, it'd still be criticized.
There is/was no real way for the teachers to stay in the classroom and get the items they want as nobody was listening and haven't been for years as evidenced by all the missed/ignored opportunities for the state to head off this walkout.
Had the state negotiated in good faith AND with an open mind we'd most likely not be here right now...

Old 04-27-2018, 10:27 AM

9,241 posts, read 7,796,268 times
Kids will now have to attend school extended into their summer, as their summer break will be cut short.

Any planned summer vacations with the kids will be interrupted.

Any families that have paid vacations at the end of the school year will be affected.

It seems selfish to protest during the school year. The kids are negatively impacted because of the adults.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:28 AM

34,651 posts, read 18,840,084 times
The problem I have with the logic of "I'm fine with schools getting additional pay, it is the walk out" is what else would they do? Educators have been promised the moon and gotten just a slight thrust from Earth. Prop 123, was overturned thanks to a lawsuit by Jeff DeWitt. Ducey didn't want to talk to educators. He forced it and honestly I can't trust that Ducebag for the same reasons I couldn't vote for him in 2014 and will never vote for him again. The incumbents in the legislature, I'll remember what those yella belly e-mailing cowards did in August and again in October.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:31 AM

7,949 posts, read 13,735,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Kids will now have to attend school extended into their summer, as their summer break will be cut short.

Any families that have paid vacations at the end of the school year will be affected.

It seems selfish to protest during the school year. The kids are negatively impacted because of the adults.
That’s a very short-sighted take on this. A few days over one summer versus a lifetime of education. You’re missing the big picture.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

"The kids" are negatively affected by crumbling schools, out of date or no school books, large class sizes, 2000 unfilled teacher slots etc.
How would protesting during the summer cause anything to happen? No leverage no listening, that is a FACT.
Again, by all reports they tried to settle this before the walk out but those in power refused to hear of it or even meet over it. The Governor was told "talk or walk", he ignored so here we are...

What choice did they have at that point?
On another subject, I'd like a forensic audit of where all the lottery money went after it hit the general fund?

Old 04-27-2018, 10:37 AM

33,968 posts, read 43,669,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That’s a very short-sighted take on this. A few days over one summer versus a lifetime of education. You’re missing the big picture.
You strike at the core of the problem in America: it's all about "vacation", time off, having fun and seldom about hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area