U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 12:12 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,325,655 times

Advertisements

Also I just have to say that it is refreshing to have this type of conversation on an open forum without the typical Facebook and Twitter BS. My wife has been called everything from a horrible parent to a twatwaffle by people just for voicing her opinion. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 12:13 PM

3,051 posts, read 1,811,180 times
more proof that face krap/tweeter are the biggest waste of bandwidth to ever hit the internet!

Old 04-27-2018, 12:17 PM

34,609 posts, read 18,807,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I agree; a walk out of some sort was probably inevitable; the only difference with doing it at the start of the school year would have been the teachers could have had the general public on their side, by having public forums, discussions, and warning everyone that the start of school would be postponed unless sincere discussions are started. Doing it now, and with this probably going into next week, just gets the general public mad at the teachers, AND, hopefully, the politicians who were too lazy to work this weekend and get something hammered out..
Doing it in summer has no leverage though. I said if anything it should have been in August when schools start back up and it is election season (primaries.) However, they had to strike while the iron was hot and not let the education debate be sidelined by some other local political issue of the week.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the teachers walking out didnt stop the legislature from talking their "hard earned" weekend off, so unfortunately, that strategy didnt seem to matter to the politicians
Yeah and what annoys me is that these legislatures will go on and say "Oh teachers don't deserve raises, they don't work 3 months out of the year." What exactly do they call this?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:24 PM

3,051 posts, read 1,811,180 times
well, this type of "change" in attitude that is needed for folks to understand that education is more important, doesn't occur in a few days at the end of the school year; stating the "blitz" in june, and pushing hard until school starts in August might have been a better way to hammer this issue home..

and, as far as getting politicians to actually work full time on our behalf is a whole other problem that needs to get fixed not just in Arizona, but in most states in the USA..

Old 04-27-2018, 12:33 PM

7,948 posts, read 13,720,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is upsetting everybody. Even adults without children.
So what? That just means that they’re only concerned with themselves and a mild, temporary inconvenience and are ignoring the long-term goal and benefit.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:36 PM

7,948 posts, read 13,720,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I'll just leave this one here for you then:

AEA Endorses David Garcia
That doesn’t at all prove your point that this is some political master plan. Again, to accept your theory, you’d have to invalidate the teachers’ concerns and I think anyone can see just how real and impactful they are.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:49 PM

7,796 posts, read 5,164,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I hear what you are saying...and let's say the legislature DID put something together and pass it. Would the educators accept that they got what they wanted or say it is more of "The Ducebag"'s tricks? Or can we actually see this for what it is...an election year stunt to promote David Garcia?
How do you know it’s not the other way around? I.e. Garcia is just riding the movements coattails?

Old 04-27-2018, 01:12 PM

9,241 posts, read 7,790,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
So what? That just means that they’re only concerned with themselves and a mild, temporary inconvenience and are ignoring the long-term goal and benefit.
What beneit? School performance is still mediocre. No one is talking about test scores or how can students perorm better. It's throwing money again and missing the problem. It's only basing results on the teams salary.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:15 PM

9,241 posts, read 7,790,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Also the attitude of so what is inconsiderate.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:24 PM

211 posts, read 84,378 times
It's fairly obvious to find the people who care about our future's education and those who just simply don't think being intellectual is important. Protesting over the summer? Is there a bigger joke than a teacher who strikes over the summer? It solves nothing, draws no attention to the cause, and is comical at best. You don't protest on your own time, you protest on someone else's, that's Protesting 101 right there. People are commenting that this is a detriment to the students and that these teachers shouldn't be doing this. This is not only amazingly narrow minded, but it's simply wrong. The frustration should be alongside the teachers, not against them. The teachers WANT to be there, the government is making this literally impossible for some because they're not paid enough for the work they do. Yes, yes, yes, teachers know what they're getting into when they sign-up, I know I did. Yet knowing this does not equate to "you get a lower-middle class salary to start, now you're stuck there forever while the price of everything goes up." These teachers aren't fighting against starting salaries (well, some are now) they're upset they aren't given raises like most in the private sector get. No raises in some cases in 20 years?! Government has the money, it's there, it's always there, most of time however they'd rather spend it on things that matter less than the future of our children's education.

Last edited by CypressHeat; 04-27-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area