U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-27-2018, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,402 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Reputation: 9206

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
HA...I just heard that Payson Unified is making the days up on Saturdays. No way in heck would I be sending my kids to school on a Saturday because the Teachers decided to walk out. Nope nope and nope.
Well they can choose to do that but I think it is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2018, 11:05 PM
 
Location: northwest valley, az
1,595 posts, read 760,645 times
Reputation: 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Actually I take it back, April is the "deadline" Thanks Ballotpedia...

Basically April is supposed to be end of the time to debate the budget to pass one, leading to a balanced budget on the desk of the governor.

There is no proof of Arizona having or not having budget adendems. I'm sure there is unless it is constitutionally illegal in the state like pre-planned spending.
so, you just proved my point, that even though April is the "official" deadline, the Gubernator can ram through any kind of budget addendum, including this "alleged" deal he is talking about, when ever he and the legislature wants to..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,402 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Reputation: 9206
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
so, you just proved my point, that even though April is the "official" deadline, the Gubernator can ram through any kind of budget addendum, including this "alleged" deal he is talking about, when ever he and the legislature wants to..
Eh, no you're being obtuse as the timetable fits because it will need to be worked into the budget and not an addendum to the budget that hasn't been passed yet. The timeline would end in June which there are some state legislature members want to wait as long as possible (which may sink the deal as Ducey wants it signed sealed and delivered this week.) This means it could stretch out far longer because of the legislative process, which is why the walk outs will extend into Monday for many districts. For my district it might have been only one day as today and Monday were designated no schools day when the schedule came out.

As I stated before, Ducey is foolish to think his own party agrees on his deal due to hardcore the fiscal conservatives in the AZ's legislature, who want any added budget expenditures paid for and not by voodoo economics that sound good today, but then turn into an accounting nightmare tomorrow. As I've said before, the concerns of an economic downturn due to Trump's possible trade wars are a real threat since Arizona is largely built up upon real estate which is one of the first things to slow when downturns happen. Ducey didn't talk of any tax increases or pot sales in his deal on NBC 12 from what I heard in his not in reality rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 12:52 AM
 
33 posts, read 8,071 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
"The kids" are negatively affected by crumbling schools, out of date or no school books, large class sizes, 2000 unfilled teacher slots etc.
How would protesting during the summer cause anything to happen? No leverage no listening, that is a FACT.
Again, by all reports they tried to settle this before the walk out but those in power refused to hear of it or even meet over it. The Governor was told "talk or walk", he ignored so here we are...

What choice did they have at that point?
On another subject, I'd like a forensic audit of where all the lottery money went after it hit the general fund?


Most of the schools in metro Phoenix are nearly new to brand new, their all have lighted football fields and state of art of tracks lol The word is, 3 days of no show is considered a volunteer quit and the head of AZ education & AZ Attorney General are threating to take their teaching certification away, It's all about Teachers & Unions Greed !! Teacher Unions demands are never ending. I just a some high school kids repeating "it's about the kids" and laughing Lots of Subs in AZ looking for full time teaching jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,402 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Reputation: 9206
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaGirl2 View Post
Most of the schools in metro Phoenix are nearly new to brand new, their all have lighted football fields and state of art of tracks lol The word is, 3 days of no show is considered a volunteer quit and the head of AZ education & AZ Attorney General are threating to take their teaching certification away, It's all about Teachers & Unions Greed !! Teacher Unions demands are never ending. I just a some high school kids repeating "it's about the kids" and laughing Lots of Subs in AZ looking for full time teaching jobs
This post is entirely misguided.

Metro Phoenix is rather big. It includes Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, North Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, even Chandler and Glendale. I seem to remember in one of the two Arizona teacher walk out threads I've posted on, that someone posted an article where a school in Glendale was nearly condemned due to structural issues. And this is in an area that is in metro Phoenix. Now yes, it is an extreme, but we shouldn't discredit it as such because many rural areas have similar issues.

There is no teacher union in AZ because it is a right-to-work state. There is no greed in the teachers either. Stop drinking the conservative Kool-Aid and think outside the box. If it was REALLY about teacher greed in AZ, why would the teachers walk out if they got their 20% by 2020 from Ducey? If it was REALLY about teacher greed, why would support staff funding be a sticking point like it has been besides with support staff (like myself)? If it was REALLY teacher greed, why would three out of every four teachers vote to walk out?

Also if the substitutes in AZ are really looking for full-time teaching jobs or even co-teaching jobs, they could easily do just that. There are as many as 5,000 teaching jobs available statewide that are left open because there aren't qualified applicants who want to be paid 35K a year (or more due to stipends.) Some are combined with other classes while others use long-term subs These are real issues that many districts have a problem with. Ducey even tried

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself before posting these talking points again. It sounds like you know nothing about Arizona's education crisis at all, just like many of the politicians who are school choice shills (Douglas), liars (Ducey) or just plain out of touch (Republicans in the legislature.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 04:41 AM
 
425 posts, read 175,264 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Also I just have to say that it is refreshing to have this type of conversation on an open forum without the typical Facebook and Twitter BS. My wife has been called everything from a horrible parent to a twatwaffle by people just for voicing her opinion. Thank you.
What is a "Twatwaffle"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 06:24 AM
 
881 posts, read 461,070 times
Reputation: 2976
I don't know why teachers complain. No one else in the country gets 17 weeks of vacation and still gets to have top-notch benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
27,814 posts, read 37,852,315 times
Reputation: 17396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Eh, no you're being obtuse as the timetable fits because it will need to be worked into the budget and not an addendum to the budget that hasn't been passed yet. The timeline would end in June which there are some state legislature members want to wait as long as possible (which may sink the deal as Ducey wants it signed sealed and delivered this week.) This means it could stretch out far longer because of the legislative process, which is why the walk outs will extend into Monday for many districts. For my district it might have been only one day as today and Monday were designated no schools day when the schedule came out.

As I stated before, Ducey is foolish to think his own party agrees on his deal due to hardcore the fiscal conservatives in the AZ's legislature, who want any added budget expenditures paid for and not by voodoo economics that sound good today, but then turn into an accounting nightmare tomorrow. As I've said before, the concerns of an economic downturn due to Trump's possible trade wars are a real threat since Arizona is largely built up upon real estate which is one of the first things to slow when downturns happen. Ducey didn't talk of any tax increases or pot sales in his deal on NBC 12 from what I heard in his not in reality rhetoric.
I agree that Ducey's financing of his plan is more hope and prayer than solid economics. On the other hand, I don't think it is up to teachers to be dictating how the state legislature or governor raises revenue. Teachers should accept the offer or not when there is clear certainty that it will pass and let the policians worry about how to raise the money to pay for it. Down the road, there will be recession - there always is. Education needs a more reliable source of income than state sales taxes which are the first hit in a downturn. But that is a big project and will take some time and willing people in the seats in the capitol. You won't and should not hope to change that with a strike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 AM
 
33 posts, read 8,071 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This post is entirely misguided.

Metro Phoenix is rather big. It includes Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, North Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, even Chandler and Glendale. I seem to remember in one of the two Arizona teacher walk out threads I've posted on, that someone posted an article where a school in Glendale was nearly condemned due to structural issues. And this is in an area that is in metro Phoenix. Now yes, it is an extreme, but we shouldn't discredit it as such because many rural areas have similar issues.

There is no teacher union in AZ because it is a right-to-work state. There is no greed in the teachers either. Stop drinking the conservative Kool-Aid and think outside the box. If it was REALLY about teacher greed in AZ, why would the teachers walk out if they got their 20% by 2020 from Ducey? If it was REALLY about teacher greed, why would support staff funding be a sticking point like it has been besides with support staff (like myself)? If it was REALLY teacher greed, why would three out of every four teachers vote to walk out?

Also if the substitutes in AZ are really looking for full-time teaching jobs or even co-teaching jobs, they could easily do just that. There are as many as 5,000 teaching jobs available statewide that are left open because there aren't qualified applicants who want to be paid 35K a year (or more due to stipends.) Some are combined with other classes while others use long-term subs These are real issues that many districts have a problem with. Ducey even tried

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself before posting these talking points again. It sounds like you know nothing about Arizona's education crisis at all, just like many of the politicians who are school choice shills (Douglas), liars (Ducey) or just plain out of touch (Republicans in the legislature.)
Misguided ? 99% of Metro Phoenix is New, Queen Creek, Chandler, Gilbert, San Tan Valley, Surprise, Goodyear etc.. alone built over 100 new schools in the last 10 years, and many new schools are under construction right now, Queen Creeks even building a 2nd High School right now , A couple of years ago, the AZ teachers were crying they need more money and most school budget overrides were approved by voters but then, people got really pissed when their taxes went up,


Speaking about Drinking Kool-Aid !! Anytime taxes are raised, it destroys the economy !! NYS has the highest paid teachers in the country and also has the highest taxes in the country because the teachers & all union public sector workers get yearly raises and property taxes are raised every single year to pay for them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 08:22 AM
 
33 posts, read 8,071 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaGirl2 View Post
Misguided ? 99% of Metro Phoenix is New, Queen Creek, Chandler, Gilbert, San Tan Valley, Surprise, Goodyear etc.. alone built over 100 new schools in the last 10 years, and many new schools are under construction right now, Queen Creeks even building a 2nd High School right now , A couple of years ago, the AZ teachers were crying they need more money and most school budget overrides were approved by voters but then, people got really pissed when their taxes went up,


Speaking about Drinking Kool-Aid !! Anytime taxes are raised, it destroys the economy !! NYS has the highest paid teachers in the country and also has the highest taxes in the country because the teachers & all union public sector workers get yearly raises and property taxes are raised every single year to pay for them
Here's what happens when taxes are raised to pay for never ending School Union demands
and taxes are so high, all the business's left and Buffalo already lost more then half it's population


Look at Buffalo NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mLnD-GIFq0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top