U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-30-2018, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ area
3,338 posts, read 3,875,626 times
Reputation: 4112

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Chandler schools closed for Tuesday as well...
Tempe called me a few hours ago to say they are closed on Tuesday... For some stupid reason Tempe calls me with their automated bull even though my son is 4 and I've never even owned real estate in Tempe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2018, 08:07 PM
 
2,304 posts, read 4,718,240 times
Reputation: 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Chandler schools closed for Tuesday as well...
This is now beyond "walk-out." This is a strike.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
34,657 posts, read 18,850,061 times
Reputation: 12414
The district I work in is closed tomorrow, it seems to be a day to day district and not supporting the walkout at all. Others are canceling school until the walkout is over entirely.

I how it is soon and that teachers and support staff get paid fair raises. I am having how the legislature are handling it and I suggest getting rid of all incumbents in the legislature and Ducey. They were just trying to pass the buck around. I want someone to be accountable. Sadly that is a foreign word.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
34,657 posts, read 18,850,061 times
Reputation: 12414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
This is now beyond "walk-out." This is a strike.
Call your local legislaturers and ask them why the vote is taking so long. Thursday they adjourned over the weekend so no vote and today there was nothing done as well. Why are the teachers the one you blame when the legislature is dragging their damn feet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 09:05 PM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,973 posts, read 24,145,899 times
Reputation: 15587
Schools will be closed at least until Thursday at this point as the proposed full budget with the current teacher deal included has to go to a vote by the legislature.

On another note, Peoria Schools put all 800 of their teaching positions on the Substitute board last night. This lasted until midday today when they decided it was better to just stay closed. I didn't think they'd be able to fill 'em and wonder if it was an attempt to get leverage against the striking teachers by saying "see, we have you replaced already".

If so, nice try but EPIC failure. Not surprised as they can't usually fill all the regularly open sub positions they've already got...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
34,657 posts, read 18,850,061 times
Reputation: 12414
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Schools will be closed at least until Thursday at this point as the proposed full budget with the current teacher deal included has to go to a vote by the legislature.

On another note, Peoria Schools put all 800 of their teaching positions on the Substitute board last night. This lasted until midday today when they decided it was better to just stay closed. I didn't think they'd be able to fill 'em and wonder if it was an attempt to get leverage against the striking teachers by saying "see, we have you replaced already".

If so, nice try but EPIC failure. Not surprised as they can't usually fill all the regularly open sub positions they've already got...
Yeah, it is a little too much. This just proves that there aren't enough teachers. If there are a ton of substitutes, why couldn't a district get enough to run a school. We have at least 2,000 unfilled positions if not 5,000 and still don't have the substitutes for a normal work day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 11:05 PM
 
33 posts, read 12,317 times
Reputation: 20
Most district School boards have been getting swapped with 100's & 100's calls to fire the teachers !! Plan b
is to bring in subs to get the HS's up and running and get some review for the exams,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 11:39 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,429 posts, read 9,392,060 times
Reputation: 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaGirl2 View Post
Most district School boards have been getting swapped with 100's & 100's calls to fire the teachers !! Plan b
is to bring in subs to get the HS's up and running and get some review for the exams,
Typical entitled parents. Support the teachers until it becomes an inconvenience for them, the parents. This is part of why many drop out of teaching - the parents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 11:42 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,429 posts, read 9,392,060 times
Reputation: 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Call your local legislaturers and ask them why the vote is taking so long. Thursday they adjourned over the weekend so no vote and today there was nothing done as well. Why are the teachers the one you blame when the legislature is dragging their damn feet.
GREAT IDEA!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 11:45 PM
 
Location: SDL/PDX/RDU
6,363 posts, read 3,256,914 times
Reputation: 7114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaGirl2 View Post
Most district School boards have been getting swapped with 100's & 100's calls to fire the teachers !! Plan b
is to bring in subs to get the HS's up and running and get some review for the exams,
Source?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top