Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 08:48 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I bet you and your wife as parents give a damn about how your kids perform in school (homework,grades etc) and I'd bet they also have manners and are able to do some critical thinking as I'm sure y'all have passed that along to them.

Sadly, not all parents are like you and if the schools I've been around over the years are any example you'd be the minority not the majority.
I don't argue with anyone who says the schools are broken, they are. We all need to figure out where and fix it. I don't believe it all lays at the teachers feet, in fact I doubt more than 25% does.
Parents being engaged with their kids education are the key to any successful student IMO. Whether a parent enrolls their kid in Ranch Solano or Chandler schools the success of the kids depends on the level of parent involvement. A kid can be a success or failure in public or private schools, that's the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 10:12 PM

33 posts, read 16,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Parents being engaged with their kids education are the key to any successful student IMO. Whether a parent enrolls their kid in Ranch Solano or Chandler schools the success of the kids depends on the level of parent involvement. A kid can be a success or failure in public or private schools, that's the point.
That's whys Purple for Parents was formed

Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 PM

33 posts, read 16,727 times
Red for Ed thought they could pull a fast one on the public. They thought they could hide their Progressive agenda and attempt to oust the Governor and control the legislative budget within a plea that pulls on the public's heartstrings for the underpaid teachers. Red for Ed is 100% political, and they used our kids to promote their agenda.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:20 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
I think the public school system should be abolished it's a bureaucratic nightmare. I'm in favor of charter schools private schools have always been better if have to spend tax payer money on this then at least do it efficiently.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:03 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I think the public school system should be abolished it's a bureaucratic nightmare. I'm in favor of charter schools private schools have always been better if have to spend tax payer money on this then at least do it efficiently.
Charter schools are failing in Arizona due to running out of funds. Mind you, AZ has few restrictions on charters so any fast-buck artist can set up shop if they get accreditation. At least 40 charter schools are in danger right now of closing down.
Pick any of these four, they are the same AP article:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...oes/364727002/
Arizona charter schools at risk of closing due to money woes - Arizona's Family
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-to-money-woes
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ng-due-to-mon/

The following are from a local radio station and cite two specific Phoenix charters closing:
State board revokes charter for Phoenix-area school that closed last month
Phoenix charter school plagued with debt to close this summer

I'm not against charter schools, just Arizona NEEDS to create stiffer regulations to prevent fast-buck artists who start up and then dry up, especially due to mishandling of funds. Both articles from KTAR, show executives who stole from the schools. Now yes, this can happen in traditional public schools too, but it is a little bit rarer. Charter executives seem to use the charter school money as their own piggy bank far more commonly than traditional public schools.

As for private schools, what happens if the students cannot afford such. Oh but we offer vouchers, I'm sure this is coming, it always does. However they don't often go to those that need it and rather is a form of wrich welfare.
Nicholas Kyle: Who really benefits from school vouchers and ESAs? | Columns | joplinglobe.com

Old 05-03-2018, 01:07 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
He might keep the base but lose the general election especially if the 9 percent becomes a five in legislature like it is widely rumored to be. Ducey promised it, he isn't delivering, especially if it passes and he signs it into law. If he signs a 5% raise after being for 20 by 2020 with the 9% for this coming school year, his goose is cooked regardless of teacher views because he broke a promise.

There isn't a union but that don't mean he cannot meet with teachers. Three weeks ago he had Save Our Schools behind him for his 20 by 2020 plan. He should have talked to that advocacy group.
If politicians lost elections because of broken promises and lying, there wouldn't be any government at any level in the world.

My point about negotiating with any group is that he doesn't have to, so politically, why should he? As for SOS, Ducey's base is probably pro voucher and one look at SOS and you see their #1 issue is "Vouchers Hurt."

If you don't have to give someone a seat at the negotiating table, you don't.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
It's no longer an unbelievable idea. Search the internet for Eva Moskowitz.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:16 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaGirl2 View Post
Another group is forming Green For Greed
That would be Congress, I believe.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:26 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Default Methodological Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
If politicians lost elections because of broken promises and lying, there wouldn't be any government at any level in the world.

My point about negotiating with any group is that he doesn't have to, so politically, why should he? As for SOS, Ducey's base is probably pro voucher and one look at SOS and you see their #1 issue is "Vouchers Hurt."

If you don't have to give someone a seat at the negotiating table, you don't.
So he plays it that way and the legislature who are being a bunch of partisan idiots right now and grandstanding to move to their ideal 5% raise rather than the Ducey promised 9% raise. Should Ducey sign that after promising to the Arizona voters, he will be playing with fire. We all know what happens when you play with fire eventually you get burned. It may not be the primaries but he will NOT be elected governor in November. This election cycle will get dirty. The teachers are pissed off and if the Ducey deal doesn't get passed, they will be out for blood. A sleeping giant has be awoken. You may think we lost, but it is really Arizona that is losing and the idiots in Phoenix will go down with the teachers come August and November. They have failed Arizona.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Well, it's DONE. Schools should be open tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area