Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 10:51 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,155,489 times

Advertisements

Look at almost any school between 17 and western 101 from Northern to the mountains and you'll find a lot serious lack our resources.

The nicer suburban districts do better because they have more money.

Money and funding matters.

Failing to give an educational opportunity to the poor is wrong and leads to a very bad cycle that will cost us all more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 11:06 PM

9,684 posts, read 11,057,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
He and many others have this notion that Baby Boomers are selfish, but then he strongly believes the government should increase education funding & that everybody should pay more taxes to support other people's offspring. Not surprisingly, many who think this way are the ones with kids in the public system, so they believe all of us should subsidize their life choices under the guise of "children are the future", or "public education benefits everybody". Talk about self absorbed!
As a reminder, Ponderosa's kids have long since graduated. Mine too. Yet we still see the value in investing in services we do not personal use.

When you under pay people, you don't attract the best candidates. Banking historically under pays its workers. Behind the Business Attire, Many Bank Workers Earn Poverty Wages to your other post. It is why the people you are trying to hire are low grade applicants.

So when the Phoenix metro underpays teachers, on average, they are not attracting the best and the brightest. Now there are unmotivated and angry teachers.

Here is the way the system works. I have to pay for things that I do not use or agree with. You do too. You can b_tch and complain but at the end of the day, you have to pay in unless you escape to Sun City to be with the rest of the cheapskates who (on average) want a lot more than they ever put in.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-09-2018 at 11:20 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 11:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,765,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
As a reminder, Ponderosa's kids have long since graduated. Mine too. Yet we still see the value in investing in services we do not personal use.

When you under pay people, you don't attract the best candidates. Banking historically under pays its workers. Behind the Business Attire, Many Bank Workers Earn Poverty Wages to your other post. It is why the people you are trying to hire are low grade applicants.

So when the Phoenix metro underpays teachers, on average, they are not attracting the best and the brightest. Now there are unmotivated and angry teachers.

Here is the way the system works. I have to pay for things that I do not use or agree with. You do too. You can b_tch and complain but at the end of the day, you have to pay in unless you escape to Sun City to be with the rest of the cheapskates who (on average) want a lot more than they ever put in.
This exactly. If it is sinking money into education to attract teachers and support staff to enter the company or to stay, what is it for the private sector when they do it?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,895,003 times
Quote:

HEY NOW....
As someone who just moved to one of the Sun Cites and know people here I've not once heard anyone say they moved here to avoid school taxes.
They mostly move here for quiet and the HUGE amount of activities available at a reasonable price that are not available anywhere else. All of the activities,pools,golf courses etc are self supported by the residents, y'all don't pay a DIME for what goes on here.

The only difference is that Del Webb was able to convince the powers that be those many years ago that his development shouldn't be forced to pay school tax. My guess is because the government at the time saw this swath of fairly well off Seniors as a cash cow for the local economy especially when a large portion are not full time residents.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,895,003 times
I just heard on the radio yesterday that either the Red For ED group or the "Association" is planning another walkout in October? Anyone else hear the that?

Old 05-10-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I just heard on the radio yesterday that either the Red For ED group or the "Association" is planning another walkout in October? Anyone else hear the that?
I haven't heard of it but I wouldn't be surprised especially if teachers do not get the 9% raises due to the fact it wasn't written as confirmed on how the raises would be dealt on district level. I heard that I am getting a 5% raise for being support staff, which is well needed due to minimum wage laws and workload.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:29 AM

4,058 posts, read 5,086,642 times
Quote:
So...I am just going to ask...as the thought crossed my mind...what does BASIS pay their teachers? A quick search on a potentially C-D banned link says out of 26 reported salaries for Teachers, the average is $43,026. Now...BASIS schools in AZ, 6 of them are in the top 10 High Schools in the nation. Are you saying that they are not attracting the Best and Brightest teachers?

Old 05-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
So...I am just going to ask...as the thought crossed my mind...what does BASIS pay their teachers? A quick search on a potentially C-D banned link says out of 26 reported salaries for Teachers, the average is $43,026. Now...BASIS schools in AZ, 6 of them are in the top 10 High Schools in the nation. Are you saying that they are not attracting the Best and Brightest teachers?
They may or may not. One thing with teachers as opposed to most fields where low balling doesn't bring the best and the brightest to that field is that in education it is more about the passion for the field. So with that, often times they take a home field discount, just like someone wanting to stay in their home town. However they could easily get higher pay since the charters are not solely having funds from the public school fund like public schools get. For public school employees to get raises, they cannot really negotiate while a charter school teacher could though a private school teacher has the most pull.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:56 PM

6,662 posts, read 4,960,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'd suggest looking at year round school for one.

Yes. There are more things that should change too, IMO. I agree that teachers should be paid more, probably a lot more. But marching and asking for more tax money cannot be the only tool in the shed.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:15 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,155,489 times
BASIS doesn't attract the best teachers. At the HS level they just adopt a boiler curriculum, micromanage the implementation and then drop everyone who can't keep up.

They produce great results with the type of kid that can strive in that environment, which is in the vast minority.

Honestly, those kids are going to perform well in a lot of environments.

The challenge and work is bringing up the overall bulk of students, the ones that BASIS doesn't have to keep enrolled.

They also have very small class sizes, extremely active PTOs pushing in extra funding and a level of parental involvement that comes with parents seeking out specialized curriculum, accommodating transport, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area