Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 10:52 PM

640 posts, read 951,063 times

Advertisements

Pepsi no bueno.

Why does any restaurant serve Pepsi? I would go to Jersey Mike’s way more but they have Pepsi. So I’m stuck going to Jimmy Johns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 05:54 AM

9,681 posts, read 11,050,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Pepsi no bueno.

Why does any restaurant serve Pepsi? I would go to Jersey Mike’s way more but they have Pepsi. So I’m stuck going to Jimmy Johns.
While we all know the difference between Pepsi and Coke, most of the difference is between our ears. To illustrate my point, go out of your way to crack open a can of Pepsi or Coke (diet or regular). Now test the difference in the blind and statistically prove which one is which (ABX test). You will soon appreciate that the overwhelming majority of the difference is between your ears (placebo). Our daughter did this experiment in high school. I figured I could pass with ease (Coke is less sweet and more carbonation). In the blind, I was a random number generator. Therefore, while I slightly prefer Coke, it's too close to worry about.

The temperature needs to be the same. Also, it is high risk to pour it in a glass (combination differences).

Now before you think you you can easily pass like I did, read this: https://daily.jstor.org/the-coca-col...he-difference/ or read this https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.68fda5650afa

"Perhaps surprisingly, this question has attracted quite a lot of interest in the scientific literature. Indeed, as far back as 1949, researchers at the University of Wichita presented “A Progress report on some experiments with cola beverages.” In the first part of the study, participants were given Coca-Cola, Pepsi, or RC Cola. When asked to guess which was which, participants’ guesses (41% correct for Coca-Cola, 38% for Pepsi and 35% for RC) were not significantly more accurate than chance (the only reason they look a bit better for Coca-Cola is that they are more likely to guess this more famous brand, regardless of the drink being presented). Indeed, in the second part of the study, when participants were—unbeknown to them—given the same cola in all three glasses, an almost identical pattern was observed, with 45%, 32% and 25% correct guesses for Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and RC respectively."

I could point you to 10 other scientific experiments. Passing in the blind without your prebias is downright difficult. Give it a try. Until you do, you are going to be passing up a superior sandwich at Jersey Mike's.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:11 AM

9,681 posts, read 11,050,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You notice and discuss some very trivial things. I don't drink soda but even if I did I wouldn't pay any attention to what brand of soda is carried in restaurants.

I stick to Mexican beer, or iced tea in Mexican restaurants.
I've heard of Cornelius because it started out in MN. 30 years ago, I drove by the production facility twice a day in Anoka, MN. Plus, two of my brothers worked at that facility. So when I pour myself a fountain drink, I still notice the emblem.

I love carbonation in my diet cola. Here is what I do notice. 3/4's of the time if the server goes to the bar for my glass of soda, more often than not it lacks carbonation. Bars don't change their CO2 tanks very often. That's because people who have their rum and diets for instance don't appreciate the carbonation. Therefore, the only thing I care about is if there is a lot of fizz and not if it is Coke or Pepsi.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:52 AM

673 posts, read 461,464 times
I don't drink any soda with corn syrup. Only soda with cane sugar. Ooooops, you didn't ask......my bad

Old 04-01-2018, 12:18 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,232,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post
I don't drink any soda with corn syrup. Only soda with cane sugar. Ooooops, you didn't ask......my bad
Yep me too. We keep the mini fridge stocked with some Mexican Coke/Sprite, Boylan Soda etc (all pure cane). I still only have about 3 a month at most. Not a huge soda fan but when I want one I want pure cane sugar.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,713,719 times
I don't eat at restaurants all that much, but if I do, and it's lunch time, I will typically order a diet cola. I preferred Diet Pepsi for years until they changed the formula (stevia instead of aspartame). Now, although I prefer Coke Zero Sugar at home, I am pretty much OK with whatever they have.

One time I sat down at the counter for lunch at the Breakfast Club at Cityscape and ordered a Diet Coke. The waiter told me that they only served regular sodas, not diet. I asked him why and he said it was a health thing, that diet sodas were not healthy. They were willing to dispense high fructose corn syrup but not artificial sweeteners. I walked out.

I do like those Coke machines that they have at places like AMC Theaters and Pei Wei that allow you to to push buttons and get various flavors.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,887,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yep me too. We keep the mini fridge stocked with some Mexican Coke/Sprite, Boylan Soda etc (all pure cane). I still only have about 3 a month at most. Not a huge soda fan but when I want one I want pure cane sugar.
Soda Stream syrups are sweetened with cane sugar.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:23 PM

179 posts, read 323,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I do like those Coke machines that they have at places like AMC Theaters and Pei Wei that allow you to to push buttons and get various flavors.
I like those, except it seems that invariably, the person in front of me wanted a funky flavor, and my regular Barq's root beer winds up tasting lime-flavored or like fruit punch. Which, I've found, is quite disgusting, lol.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:41 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,577,679 times
Quote:
Local Mexican restaurant chains and Pepsi products
No idea, PJ.

Personally, I'd prefer to find my way over to a QT and grab their 'lish Horchata drink.

El yum.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:09 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,221,508 times
You go to a Mexican restaurant and get a soda?

My wife and kids prefer Horchata and I always get Jamaica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area