Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:33 PM

83 posts, read 80,895 times

Advertisements

I will be moving in a month to Buckeye and am trying to determine which internet and TV provider to go with. Because experiences vary so much in the region, I’m looking for responses specifically from people who live in, or have lived in, Buckeye.

Our home is currently wired for DirectTV, but as we just discovered, DirectTV doesn’t really provide internet. Yes, they’ve partnered with Century Link, but they have to run a completely separate DSL line; the service isn’t carried along with the DirectTV cable. I would be inclined to do an a la carte service with DirectTV and Cox, but how would our SmartTVs then work?

So I am looking for advice, info about your own service in Buckeye, etc. to help frame our decision. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 05:19 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Pretty simple...get Cox and buy DirectTV via their App. Or use Contour from Cox.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 04-05-2018 at 05:32 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 07:56 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
a smart tv just needs an internet connection, NOT a "cable company/satellite tv" service..
If you dont want cable tv or home phone, just get a cox cable internet plan

Old 04-06-2018, 05:04 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
While the audio and video quality isn't as good with streaming, I buy Netflix and Hulu commercial free. My MIL (83) who hasn't turned on a computer or texted in her life has internet because it is cheaper to bundle it with Comcast in MN. With the account info (and we pay her cable bill), we are streaming CNN, FOX, HBOGO etc on both homes. Honestly, if had a million channels on cable, I only watch news programming channels PLUS I like the HBO series. So I cut the cord and pay about $25 a month.

Long term, streaming will win the war.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:44 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
While the audio and video quality isn't as good with streaming, I buy Netflix and Hulu commercial free. My MIL (83) who hasn't turned on a computer or texted in her life has internet because it is cheaper to bundle it with Comcast in MN. With the account info (and we pay her cable bill), we are streaming CNN, FOX, HBOGO etc on both homes. Honestly, if had a million channels on cable, I only watch news programming channels PLUS I like the HBO series. So I cut the cord and pay about $25 a month.

Long term, streaming will win the war.
That's not true. I get 4K HDR and Dolby Digital with Netflix.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:57 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
me too; plus the same with Amazon video using the Fire TV device

Old 04-06-2018, 09:48 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
until you have used up your 1TB allocation and then you get nothing. I tried Hulu plus and really liked it but did not keep it because they do not have a provision for reducing quality to cut back on data used. I figured I could never get through the month with the amount of TV I watch.

If someone is not home all day watching or backgrounding TV then Hulu would work well. They have cloud DVR capability which DirectTV online version doesn't (or did not when last I checked). I have CL 40 gig and it streams effortlessly. 60 gig CL (or even 100) is likely the offering in Buckeye on a no contract, locked forever price.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:51 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
until you have used up your 1TB allocation and then you get nothing. I tried Hulu plus and really liked it but did not keep it because they do not have a provision for reducing quality to cut back on data used. I figured I could never get through the month with the amount of TV I watch.
Still, it doesn't make the statement, "the audio and video quality isn't as good with streaming" any more true. I stream 4K and 1080p content regularly and have never been impacted by a cap.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:03 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Still, it doesn't make the statement, "the audio and video quality isn't as good with streaming" any more true. I stream 4K and 1080p content regularly and have never been impacted by a cap.
No, you're right. Streaming probably has the best quality as satellite is compressed and it's lossy. But it can be impractical in some cases because of the caps and internet limitations. With the sats, you can run five tvs on HD if you want and never worry about getting throttled or buffered.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:16 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
I study this topic with intensity. The audio and video quality isn't the same. Google Netflix "compression and HDR". Google "HEVC lossy compression". I can go on. Not all 4K (HDR) is created equal. There are also topics like eARC and ATMOS that have sparse content on NETFLIX. I can go on and on but I won't.

But to be clear, many people are delighted. But not any of the purist. So was correct in stating Netflix is a compromise. OTA will look and sound better. And some set top boxes pass the full OTA bandwidth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: