Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:11 PM

26 posts, read 119,024 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm an East Coaster who was just hired by ASU. How long of a commute would I be looking at if I was to settle down in Chandler, or Scottsdale?

It seems you can get way more bang for your buck in Glendale, Chandler and Gilbert, but I hear the commute to Tempe/Phoenix can be horrendous.

Can you find nice places to live in Tempe for $700-800 per month? Thanks everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 PM

77 posts, read 298,311 times
Depends I guess which part of Scottsdale or Chandler you're talking about. Some parts of Scottsdale are closer to ASU than some parts of Tempe; other parts of Scottsdale would leave you stranded way, way north with an awful commute down the 101. Likewise I imagine living in the west parts of chandler wouldn't be too far from ASU (eg around Warner and Dobson) and those are decent areas, but most of the new housing south of the San Tan could make it quite a trip...

Old 04-03-2008, 09:31 AM

38 posts, read 135,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bona0718 View Post
Hi All,

I'm an East Coaster who was just hired by ASU. How long of a commute would I be looking at if I was to settle down in Chandler, or Scottsdale?

It seems you can get way more bang for your buck in Glendale, Chandler and Gilbert, but I hear the commute to Tempe/Phoenix can be horrendous.

Can you find nice places to live in Tempe for $700-800 per month? Thanks everyone!!!
Hey, congrats on the job! I'm a California just accepted to grad school at ASU and I'm thinking about living in Scottsdale as well. I was told by some current students that it's a great place for an older crowd, apparently Tempe is completely infiltrated by undergrads. Downtown Scottsdale apparently has some very nice bars and restaurants and is where many young faculty and grad students live, which sounds great to me! I'm going to drive out there and check it out this weekend, I'll report back with any info/pictures I can get.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 AM

Right on MovingSomwhere!! I'm looking forward to hearing your findings.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:56 PM

32 posts, read 111,921 times
I work at ASU and live in Maricopa. It takes me appox 45- one hour to get to ASU but i leave at 5:45am to work at 7:00am (i like to be early plus i get a primo parking space). the commute in is not bad that early. returning home at 4:00pm is not bad either. if i had to work 8-5 like i used to i'd get another job. the commute at that time is horrible. but in maricopa you can BUY a house for about $150,000. and the area is SO quiet (except for the trains but they don't bother me) and the air is clear (except for the DANG dairy in the early morning). good luck!!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 PM

287 posts, read 896,802 times
S Scottsdale isn't as pricey and is closer to ASU but it isn't necessarily the best part of town. You are talking about renting, right? I don't like driving, either. I do park & ride into downtown phoenix (right around the corner from ASU DOwntown).

Old 04-07-2008, 02:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I'm coming out to Phoenix over Memorial Day weekend to meet with a realtor and look at some spots (and experience the infamous Phoenix heat!) Right now, it seems that Tempe and South Scottsdale fit the best. I will keep you guys posted!!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM

59 posts, read 241,400 times
$800 bucks gets you crap in Tempe. My wife works on mill there but since anything under $275 is junk/iffy, we moved to Chandler. The bulk of your commute 10-15 minutes will be just to get out of the 2 mile radius of ASU, after you escape the ASU zone you might as well tack on another 10-15 minutes to get to Chandler/Gilbert. Live in Scottsdale if you can afford it, but if that is the case you might as well get a nice place (500k) in Tempe, good luck!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:11 PM

285 posts, read 901,703 times
You may have tried this search but I just picked Gilbert with a 10 mile radius which picks up some of Chandler. $500-$1000 but just for apt and no restriction on # of bedrooms/bath.
Gilbert, AZ Rentals on Yahoo! Real Estate: 11-20 of 127 listings

Old 04-08-2008, 05:32 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
My niece works at ASU. For around your range you can afford a few places a bit north in Scottsdale. She lives at Via de Ventura and Hayden. I believe her commute is give or take 10 miles. Her rent is around $800. Her apartment isnt exactly "top of the line" but I think it is fairly nice for the rent and in pretty good condition. And in a really nice neighborhood, with a smallish shopping center with a few restaurants and the like within walking distance (right across the street).

If you are "older" and not looking for "party scene", the further north you can get for your money and still do the commute, IMHO the better.

I am just a bit upwards of your age range (early 40s) and I love where I live. My niece is about 10 miles north of ASU give or take. I am about 6 miles further north in the Kierland or Desert Ridge area (easy map locator: the top of the 101 where it starts to loop). Rents here would be a bit higher for the most part, and why come so far when you can live closer in. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area