Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:54 AM

335 posts, read 516,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
In a few years when 120+ highs become routine maybe you'll understand.
I'll just leave this here...

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/art...afc89-36424221

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 03:08 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,227,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
Do you think Phoenix is a safe place to be for the next Ice Age? I fear Global Cooling much more than Global Warming.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:57 AM

32,813 posts, read 36,084,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
OK. There was a two year deviation. Now we're back to the global warming trend.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,092,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
OK. There was a two year deviation. Now we're back to the global warming trend.
Or...we are moving back to a neutral El Nino/La Nina cycle after coming through a moderate La Nina winter...

Old 05-01-2018, 01:14 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,195,676 times
After a long streak of winters that have been warmer & drier than average, I hope we're moving toward a cycle that's closer to normal than anything else ... or even better, a wetter cycle like we had during much of the 1980s & '90s. This past winter was unusually warm and dry. The higher than normal temperatures, as well as the lack of snow in the high country & lack of rain in the lower elevations have caused an early, rampant fire season.

Stupid, careless humans of course are to blame for these fires, but the chance of any kind of forest fire spreading as rapidly as these have would have been considerably lessened if the winter/early spring had been in a more normal weather pattern. But people still move here in droves because it's sunny & warm. Meanwhile, forests are going up in flames & many homes have either been burned or are in danger. I hope the sun freaks are happy!

Old 05-02-2018, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,904,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
After a long streak of winters that have been warmer & drier than average, I hope we're moving toward a cycle that's closer to normal than anything else ... or even better, a wetter cycle like we had during much of the 1980s & '90s. This past winter was unusually warm and dry. The higher than normal temperatures, as well as the lack of snow in the high country & lack of rain in the lower elevations have caused an early, rampant fire season.

Stupid, careless humans of course are to blame for these fires, but the chance of any kind of forest fire spreading as rapidly as these have would have been considerably lessened if the winter/early spring had been in a more normal weather pattern. But people still move here in droves because it's sunny & warm. Meanwhile, forests are going up in flames & many homes have either been burned or are in danger. I hope the sun freaks are happy!
And if they (environmentalists/others) would allow downed fuels to be cleaned out and the forests to be thinned of standing dead trees the fire risk would be lessened and if one does happen it'd be less intense/easier to put out.

Year after year it's always the same old thing, even when a fire goes through and kills a bunch of trees it takes an act of god to even get a permit allowing the harvesting of those burned trees. They can be harvested after a fire but it has to be quickly done or they become worthless...

Old 05-02-2018, 10:53 AM

8,028 posts, read 12,195,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And if they (environmentalists/others) would allow downed fuels to be cleaned out and the forests to be thinned of standing dead trees the fire risk would be lessened and if one does happen it'd be less intense/easier to put out.
This is true, but fires will still happen unfortunately, largely because of these morons who start them. Seriously, do they not realize the importance of properly extinguishing campfires, or understand that shooting off fireworks in a tinder dry forest is utterly stupid?! I am hoping that this storm system moving through will provide enough moisture to help with fighting the Tinder Fire north of Payson. The biggest obstacle, however, is the wind which we've had a lot of in the past month!

Old 05-03-2018, 06:04 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,022,260 times
I never knew it (almost) takes major effort to remove downed or burnt trees. Sounds stupid.

I think the "tree thinning" objective in the high country is to remove excessive small trees living under the canopy of the mature ones. Ponderosa pine, mostly.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,904,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I never knew it (almost) takes major effort to remove downed or burnt trees. Sounds stupid.

I think the "tree thinning" objective in the high country is to remove excessive small trees living under the canopy of the mature ones. Ponderosa pine, mostly.
It is a huge process to remove down/burnt trees and ground fuels because of the groups that believe humans have no right to meddle with nature and some even go as far as to say that humans should be barred from even entering the woods as they destroy the ecosystem/disturb wildlife just by being there...

Old 05-04-2018, 09:15 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,912,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It is a huge process to remove down/burnt trees and ground fuels because of the groups that believe humans have no right to meddle with nature and some even go as far as to say that humans should be barred from even entering the woods as they destroy the ecosystem/disturb wildlife just by being there...
The irony being of course that we’ve fuel loaded our forests thanks to decades of not allowing proper wild fires to run their course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area