Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:29 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Cheap for my parents to live in Surprise. They moved there in 2003. Homes were a lot cheaper then. My parents keep the AC set at 80 in the hot months. When it is over 100 outside. They have a low electric bill compared to most people. One of my sisters keeps her AC at 72 and pays three X what my parents pay. her and her husband don't have kids so I figure it is somewhat comparable.

Transportation compared to California, where I live, is cheaper in the Phoenix area. The cheap gas in our area cost a $1 a gallon per gallon in Surprise and more than likely within the Phoenix area.

My youngest brother moved last month to the Phoenix area. He is now working in the area. He is in his early 30's and has always rented a place. He went from renting a 1 bedroom apartment for $2,200 a month in Southern California, to a new luxury apartment with stainless steel appliances for under $1,000 a month.

For homes, not sure what you are looking for but where I live on the coast in California, $500,000 buys you a basic looking tract home built in the 1960's.
I'm curious, as I have lived in three different complexes that have billed themselves as luxury apartments including my current unit. What neighborhood/city does he live in here, and what is the type of construction, complex amenities, does it have elevators, etc.

The first two luxury complexes I lived in here, first one was wood and stucco construction, open and awning parking, no elevators, had a pool and a weight room, and our 2 bed 2 bath, 1100sf was $1,000/month in 2014, and got bumped to $1,100/month in 2015.

Second complex, similar to the first, but in a different neighborhood a few miles away, our 1 bed 1 bath 900sq ft was $900/month, but only because we signed the day we did, if we had waited until the next day, it would have been $1,040/month. That was in 2016.

Now, our current apartment I would truly consider a luxury apartment. The building is concrete with steel framing, has a parking garage, has elevators, has street level retail, and the units have hardwood floors and granite countertops. And our one bedroom one bath 800sq ft is $1,350/month.

So again, I ask, what does less than $1,000/month get you here in the Valley, and in what city or neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinmover View Post
20% down on a house. House location can be anywhere near north tempe, within 35min drive including Gilbert. Both cars will be paid off, and with zero debt. Ill be moving from New Hampshire.

Thanks for all the answers.
Ahhh, another northeast resident coming to the southwest! I am from Massachusetts. You may miss the coast, but there are more than enough mountains here to satisfy, if you are a hiker. Our mountains may not be as green (I love the White Mountains in NH) but Flagstaff, Payson and Pinetop come close. Good luck with your move.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Ok, I see. They still exist in 85257. Certainly as not many though.

Made me curious, so I checked. I see four or five SFH on homes.com in the 400-500K range. They are mostly under 2000 sq ft for 3-4 bdr. Not much for your money, just to get a Scottsdale address.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Made me curious, so I checked. I see four or five SFH on homes.com in the 400-500K range. They are mostly under 2000 sq ft for 3-4 bdr. Not much for your money, just to get a Scottsdale address.
Look elsewhere, pricing like that isn’t limited to Scottsdale. It’s getting pricey all over.

Here’s an interesting one in 85257. Four bedrooms, nicely redone, pool, quarter acre lot, and the price tag to go with it. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale.../home/26940263

Old 04-27-2018, 04:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Look elsewhere, pricing like that isn’t limited to Scottsdale. It’s getting pricey all over.

Here’s an interesting one in 85257. Four bedrooms, nicely redone, pool, quarter acre lot, and the price tag to go with it. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale.../home/26940263

The big lot is nice, that patio off the master is a nice addition. Overall, the renovations I saw on smaller homes in the same ZIP were much nicer. Tempe has similar houses to the 85257 ones, or slightly larger, for a LOT less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area