Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 PM

21 posts, read 25,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
After just moving here 8 months ago after an very long life in Chicago and its various suburbs, I can promise you that the crime here is NOTHING like you experienced in Cicero or its surrounding areas..

As you know there is crime everywhere, but alot less of that kind of stuff out here..

As far as where to live, almost all of the popular metro areas are 45 min or less from Sky Harbor, so, that opens up a ton of options.

We live in a beautiful area several miles north of the North part of Glendale, and its beautiful, safe, and clean here. We can get to Scottsdale in 30 minutes most of the time, we are 60 minutes from Sedona, and the mountain view are spectacular here, and growth is explosive..

You'll find that asking a question like where to live on this Forum will get you 20 different answers, all based on that posters personal likes or dislikes, so, you almost have to nail down East or West Valley as the first decision, and then start to research on your own what looks good to you.

If you want my specific help, please send me a personal message, so I can help you out directly, without you being more confused by those that wont agree with my observations..

good luck, you will love it out here, as long as you can take the blast furnace heat that is starting a little early this year! Since you work from home, and make your own schedule, its easy to work around that and deal with it! Get ready to say goodbye to weeks and weeks of cloudy, depressing weather!!
Hey!! Great to see another Chicagoan here! So, you know it all to well...that place we call, “****cago!” Lol.
We have dealt with all we could possibly bear in this blasted state just so we know *for sure* that we want to make this big move. I couldn’t possibly have imagined crime being as bad in comparison to some of IL’s less desirable areas, so thank you for reassuring us.

Oh yes! I remember that heat blast, the hot walls on the inside of the houses, frying eggs on top of cars, lol, and feeling like my tennis shoes would melt just by walking on the black asphalt. Ha! We both get pretty bad Seasonal Affective Disorder each winter, and I suffer from Fibromyalgia, so the heat and ample sunshine will be a MUCH welcomed change for us both. ITS TIME!

I will definitely be reaching out to you soon! And thank you for extending your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
What about Gilbert? That is pretty safe and there is some nice neighborhoods. Maybe you want to look into Las Sendas is Mesa? Very pretty scenery there.
Gilbert is on the list, too, even though a family member said, “just stay away from the ghetto part!” Didn’t know Gilbert had any such part.

We have 10 areas we are trying to narrow down to at least 5, lol. I have cousins in central Phoenix, Chandler, and Avondale, so we will definitely be checking those areas out as well. Thank you!

Old 05-08-2018, 07:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Given your interest in dining, parks, festivals, safety and hiking, Scottsdale seems like a no-brainer. I’d suggest the McCormick Ranch area near the greenbelt.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM

720 posts, read 734,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Given your interest in dining, parks, festivals, safety and hiking, Scottsdale seems like a no-brainer. I’d suggest the McCormick Ranch area near the greenbelt.
I agree! Chandler, Gilbert, Phoenix proper all nice - but what you describe sounds like you would love to live off Hayden in the McCormick Ranch area - here is a list from apartments.com in the 85258 zip which lists mccormick ranch and scottsdale ranch areas > https://www.apartments.com/10455-e-v...z/?pid=ppv5ygt

Old 05-08-2018, 10:20 AM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
One more vote for Scottsdale.

And it's about 30 miles long, north to south, so you'd be doing plenty of exploring.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:12 AM

6,756 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacingWest View Post
Gilbert is on the list, too, even though a family member said, “just stay away from the ghetto part!” Didn’t know Gilbert had any such part.

We live in Gilbert. You get more house for the money in Gilbert vs. Scottsdale, of course. There's a little "old town" area just north of Elliot on Gilbert Road with a handful of restaurants/bars (Snooze, Joyride Tacos, etc). They sometimes have farmer's markets, food trucks, etc over by the water tower. When it's just me and my wife we tend to go to that area or to the San Tan Mall. There's a good amount of variety, but certainly not like you would get in Scottsdale/Phoenix.

There are older and newer parts of Gilbert, but I'm not aware of any area I'd call a ghetto(??)

Old 05-08-2018, 03:35 PM

6,756 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacingWest View Post
Yes, Scottsdale is 2nd runner up, after Chandler....we have been eying the San Brisas apartments, and pretty much almost anything that’s a Mark-Taylor property.

I know that area quite well. I used to live a few blocks from those apartments. It's really convenient with respect to shopping, and a very easy trip to the airport except during rush hour.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:29 PM

186 posts, read 195,428 times
Stop listening to your cousin. It’s obvious that she must not get out much. NE Mesa is a REALLY nice area. Close to lots of recreation opportunities and 30 minutes to either Mesa Gateway or Sky Harbor via the mostly uncrowded 202 expressway.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Thank you! We will check that out, as well.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
I agree! Chandler, Gilbert, Phoenix proper all nice - but what you describe sounds like you would love to live off Hayden in the McCormick Ranch area - here is a list from apartments.com in the 85258 zip which lists mccormick ranch and scottsdale ranch areas > https://www.apartments.com/10455-e-v...z/?pid=ppv5ygt
Wow, thank you so much! These look great. You couldn’t get anything half that nice in our current location at those rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area