Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrank3 View Post
I'm not sure. I know it's 10 mins from my sister-in-laws place in Peoria.

Any insight into Honeywell. A lot of info on the web is negative but it's very outdated

Thanks!
If it's at the Deer Valley location then it will be a bit longer than 10 minutes to Peoria, especially depending on where in Peoria. If it's at the 101 and 59th ave (Glendale) then it probably is 10 mins (unless she lives in south Peoria).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,898 times
The site at Deer Valley and 19th Ave is generally referred to as the "Deer Valley" site whereas the one at 59th Ave and Union Hills is referred to as the "Glendale" building or sometimes the "Space" building. The one at Unions Hills and I-17 is referred to as "UHF" for Union Hills Facility.

CFrank3, if you were told "Deer Valley", then the Honeywell people mean the site at Deer Valley and 19th Ave.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 AM

41 posts, read 164,412 times
Parts of Peoria would probably only be 10 minutes. (I go from Cave Creek to near in Peoria in 20-25 minutes when there isn't any traffic).

Surprise would be further.

Honeywell is laying people off. My husband does tech writing and said that a number of Honeywell's tech writers are being laid off. That being said, I've worked at several companies through layoff periods and found that the layoffs were often an excuse to weed people out, rather than as true cost saving efforts.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
.... This will often involve restructures, mergers, acquistions, layoffs, spin-offs, and consolidations. You don't honestly expect what you saw back in 1992 to be the same in 2008 do you?
I haven't been keeping tabs on Honeywell since 1995, so all that corporate restructuring doesn't surprise me at all, that's why I implied in the last part of my message, that things could have changed since I worked there 16 years ago.

Does anybody know what happened to their Automated Manufacturing division, that was on 23rd Ave & Peoria? I know around 1994 or so, it was moved to I-17 and Union Hills.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
That was Honeywell Automation and Controls, a different business unit of Honeywell. The location of the layoffs from that business was mainly at the Union Hills facility on I-17 and Union Hills.
The layoff of about 450 employees and the outsourcing is the Honeywell Aerospace at 19th ave and Deer Valley. IAC Honeywell is not effected. Below is the story

Honeywell laying off 420 in Phoenix, moving jobs to S. Asia (broken link)

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The layoff of about 450 employees and the outsourcing is the Honeywell Aerospace at 19th ave and Deer Valley. IAC Honeywell is not affected. Below is the story

Honeywell laying off 420 in Phoenix, moving jobs to S. Asia (broken link)
Then it looks like both businesses have done recent layoffs in manufacturing and moved work overseas. The last part of the story you posted made reference to the layoffs that I was thinking about that happened in Jan 2008 which are the ones in Honeywell Process Solutions (formerly IAC).

Jan 11, 2008: "Honeywell Process Solutions, a maker of factory-automation systems, said Thursday that it will lay off 240 employees at its Phoenix facility and move most of the jobs overseas. ...the cuts represent the last of a number of manufacturing jobs that have been moved out of the Union Hills Drive facility in Phoenix." and "the Phoenix jobs will be moved to York, Pa., as well as overseas to Tianjin, China; Sarl, Switzerland; Pune, India; and Bangalore, India."

Honeywell to eliminate 240 jobs in Phoenix (broken link)

Old 03-28-2008, 02:55 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
The OP was refering to the Aerospace Div.
The article you noted says that the employees at IAC at Union Hills are not effected by the moves/layoffs in the Glendale and Sky Harbor airport facilities.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The OP was refering to the Aerospace Div.
The article you noted says that the employees at IAC at Union Hills are not effected by the moves/layoffs in the Glendale and Sky Harbor airport facilities.
Yes, yes, I got that the OP was asking about Aero. The point is, I didn't realize that Aero had done layoffs too! I was only aware of the layoffs in Process Solutions. So thank you for pointing out that Aero had recent layoffs too! And it's "affected" not "effected". "Affect" is a verb whereas "effect" is a noun.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 36,486 times
Default Info

Thanks for all the info everyone. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Christine

Old 03-28-2008, 05:26 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,216 times
Honeywell is a great company to work for. I recieved 2 weeks of vacation day 1, great benfits. I would go for it, Honeywell is a large company that can work through the high and lows of the economy without being hurt drastically. Their aerospace divison drives the company and is very well respected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area