U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 AM

13 posts, read 11,184 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler area this summer! Just signed the job paperwork. My job is near Falcon Field, and I don't want too long of a commute. My wife will work from home to start, then possibly in Gilbert long-term.

We are looking to spend around 500-600K, want a newer or newly updated home, pool is a must, and a view would be wonderful. We're used to lots of trees in the south, so want some pretty landscaping. Would like to have friendly neighbors, but not too close! I saw another thread about 55+ communities, and we are not quite there in age yet, but they all seemed to be too far away, or lower end homes.

Any advice would be appreciated! We will be assigned a relocation realtor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 12:21 PM

16,862 posts, read 21,922,791 times
East Mesa - East of Brown particularly North o Ellsworth. Some might have an apache junction address.

You might also want to consider Val Vista Lakes. Great environment for a newcomer to the area.

Normally, I'd suggest Las Sendas and Mountain Bridge, but I'm betting the lots will be too small for you - but have a look anyway.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:20 PM

4,395 posts, read 2,712,871 times
What's too long of a commute? Driving on the 202 in that part of the metro shouldn't be bad. And if you end up living west of Falcon Field it would be a reverse commute from the heavier traffic anyway (assuming it's a day job).

Unless you're willing to look for a very long time, I'll suggest concentrating on either views, or the landscaping. There are some nice views in far NE Mesa, but those are relatively newer areas. We live in the south part of Gilbert, so I'm not too familiar with a lot of the Mesa neighborhoods. But I would think you can buy a very nice home with your budget.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:39 PM

110 posts, read 83,955 times
If you would like an area with lots of trees than Morrison Ranch in Gilbert is great. There is a good range of homes there, a lot of them two story, but a good portion single and just about all built in the last 10-15 years. The downside is though that since it is a masterplanned residential community the lots are smaller than I think you might want. But check it out for yourself. (For me personally I really like the neighborhood and although I prefer bigger yards, I would overlook it for that neighborhood)

Las Sendas and Red Mountain Ranch are much more desert like, but again smaller yards.

It depends what scenery you want to be around. NE Mesa is going to be a real desert theme. Where as other parts of Mesa and much of Gilbert, Chandler and Tempe have flood irrigation. These means that those areas have more greenery compared to the more desert areas as I call them.

It depends what you want. Do you want more of an Arizona Sonoran Desert feel with Cacti, Palo Verde trees and mountain views? Or do you want more of a farm thing with flood irrigation and much more shrubs and greenery in the area as a whole?

An important thing to note with the area you are looking at. The areas that further from shopping, restaurants, etc. are the more desert areas. NE Mesa will be a 15 minute drive to your work, but you will be further from centers of shopping. Not sure if that matters to you.

I would say though you are in a great place with your budget. Although good houses really go fast here, especially the ones with big yards! Be ready to buy when your dream home comes up!

I would suggest the following zip codes in Mesa: 85215,85207,85213, 85203 and 85206 (some parts of 85203,85206 are really nice and some parts aren't)

Anywhere in Gilbert is fine.

Chandler and Tempe are going to put you a bit further out, I am not sure how much you are willing to drive, but I would stick with Gilbert and Mesa personally, probably lean more toward Gilbert as it is nicer than Mesa.

I hope you find this helpful, let me know if I need to clarify anything or you have more questions!

Old 05-11-2018, 05:18 PM

4,395 posts, read 2,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
It depends what scenery you want to be around. NE Mesa is going to be a real desert theme. Where as other parts of Mesa and much of Gilbert, Chandler and Tempe have flood irrigation. These means that those areas have more greenery compared to the more desert areas as I call them.

If one can find an acceptable property that has flood irrigation, that certainly opens up an entirely new set of possibilities. We get water from the Roosevelt district. People who see photos of our place cannot believe we live in Phoenix (well, Gilbert).

Old 05-12-2018, 09:48 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,146,708 times
Thunder Mountain.
Beautiful homes on huge lots with picturesque views to the south and west. Close to the 202 or the 60 and shopping is just down the road.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
What's too long of a commute? Driving on the 202 in that part of the metro shouldn't be bad. And if you end up living west of Falcon Field it would be a reverse commute from the heavier traffic anyway (assuming it's a day job).

Unless you're willing to look for a very long time, I'll suggest concentrating on either views, or the landscaping. There are some nice views in far NE Mesa, but those are relatively newer areas. We live in the south part of Gilbert, so I'm not too familiar with a lot of the Mesa neighborhoods. But I would think you can buy a very nice home with your budget.
Good question. No more than 20 mi it’s. And the views would outweigh the landscaping. We plan to be here for a long time, and can build up the landscaping.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:54 AM

Thanks everyone, great tips. I was able to add a bunch of homes and areas to our favorites list. I've never lived out west, I guess I have a lot to learn about the area! I'm sure I'll be back for more tips as the date gets closer in a few weeks.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Thunder Mountain.
Beautiful homes on huge lots with picturesque views to the south and west. Close to the 202 or the 60 and shopping is just down the road.
Yes!! This is just what I'm looking for. Nothing in our price range yet, but it's close - I'm keeping this on the list and my fingers crossed.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:51 PM

300 posts, read 366,599 times
Las Sendas and Red Mountain Ranch would be right by your job and are very nice neighborhoods in your price range. Wouldn't even need to get on the highway if you didn't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area