U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 21,443 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I wonder if anyone could offer any advice?
My wife, 4 year old son and I are hoping to make the move to the US within the next five years (hopefully less), we're sick to death of the grey, damp, miserable life in the UK. We've visited the US a couple of times, in fact we backpacked all over America in the mid nineties, including Arizona, although we spent most of our time in AZ at Grand Canyon and Flagstaff.
Anyway, back to my question. I am moving into the field of computer networking and need to know what the employment situation there is like for people in the tech industry, I presume I would have to be located in the Phoenix area? Also, where would you recommend as a good safe place for us? We are in our early thirties and don't want to be in the hustle and bustle. We would prefer somewhere a little quieter. We've heard great things about Scottsdale, but don't know much about anywhere else in the Phoenix area. We would be looking for a three bed, two bath, single family home if that helps.

We would be really greatful for any help/advice you could offer. Paul.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM

77 posts, read 282,947 times
You will definitely not find it grey or damp in AZ! I can't say I know a whole lot about the tech industry, but I'd imagine you'd probably have to work in the Phoenix area. As far as living someplace away from the center of town, maybe Gilbert, or the southern parts of Chandler?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll look into the Gilbert and Chandler areas and see what I can find out.

Anybody else out there have any suggestions??

Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 AM

2,675 posts, read 6,908,514 times
Paul, I know some transplanted Mancunians who live happily in Scottsdsale, but I don't know of your price range. Keep in mind that the Phoenix area has relatively uniform population density from inner city to outer suburb. For that reason, you can actually live quite close to Downtown and have a quiet suburban lifestyle if you wish.

In evaluating places to live, I'd focus first on where you'll be working. A manageable commute is key to enjoying a high quality of life. After that, you'll want to look at school quality and housing affordability.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 AM

124 posts, read 459,831 times
Keep in mind that Phoenix is a sprawling area and we have no where near the public transportation the the UK does. You will have to consider your price range as well when looking for a "quiet" place to live. Scottsdale is beautiful but pricey...Queen Creek is beautiful and inexpensive...but you'd have to be married to your car. These are just two extremes, there are plenty of areas in between.

Research, reasearch, research and I'd be visiting too before buying if I were you, so that you had a chance to drive around the different areas. If you are working in South Chandler you probably will not want to live in Scottsdale. If you are working in North Phoenix you probably will not want to live in South Chandler.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the info people, our price range is around the $300,000 to $350,000 mark, it may be more by the time we manage to get over there.

Which areas should we avoid? and which do you all concider to be the good, safe, family orientated areas?
We plan on coming over to have a good look around before we make the big move, but would like to know where to avoid so we can cross them off the list before hand and not waste any valuble time while we're there.

Thankyou so much for all your input advice and input.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM

31 posts, read 105,994 times
Default Just Do It!!!

My wife and I immigrated to Phoenix from London fourteen years ago when we were in our mid-thirties. Having visited many areas in the U.S. before we arrived we decided that Arizona was the place we wanted to be.
We haven't had a moment of regret since we arrived. Arizona soon began to feel like home for us, so much so that when visiting the UK we can't wait to get back to the desert! We live in Fountain Hills, a suburb to the East of Scottsdale. Beautiful town separated from Phoenix by the McDowell mountains. I would describe our town as a great place to raise kids, although I can see that for teenagers FH can sometimes seem very quiet. $350K would be at the lower end for FH property but still should cover many of the older properties in town. In any case it's all relative- a $350k house in Fountain Hills or in almost any other Phoenix suburb is going to knock the socks off anything you are likely to find in Manchester for twice the price.
Overall I can't recommend Arizona, and the Phoenix area in particular, highly enough. Obviously parts of Phoenix have issues of crime etc but these issues are quite localized. In any case, Manchester and London have these kind of problems themselves. 300 days plus of sunshine (80 today and clear blue sky), four hour drive from Mexican beaches, two hours from the ski slopes in Flagstaff make Phoenix impossible to beat for us.
I assume you know the visa situation makes it very difficult for non-nationals to work in the US, so if you haven't done so already consult a US-Immigration Attorney and start applying for positions in your field.
Paul, my advice is to just do it and get over here asap. Forget about the five year timescale-do it now!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the reply uk2fh, that was a really encouraging message!
I really wish we could come straight over, but I'm moving into a new field of employment and want to get a couple of years experience under my belt before taking the plunge.

Thanks again for the message.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM

56 posts, read 204,817 times
just wanted to say hiya paul! i am from phoenix, but currently am living with my english husband very near to manchester. we plan to move back to phoenix this summer after living in england for the past 3 years, cant wait to get out of here and back to AZ!

wanted to direct you to a small forum i am a part of - Moderator cut: cannot post other forum sites

Last edited by sablebaby; 03-30-2008 at 07:38 PM..

Old 03-30-2008, 08:58 PM

919 posts, read 3,258,365 times
Best wishes moving here. As others have said, try to get a fix on where you might be working prior to deciding where to buy.

Should you worry about abandoning home, we've got some pubs run by ex-pats. There's a restaurant in Tempe specializing in, of all things, the Pasty - and has become quite popular. His place would be very unique even in the UK.

There's a British "Shop" in South Scottsdale offering sweets, jams, jars, cans and bags of UK faves, should you develop a sudden urge for baked beans or fruit gums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area