Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 01:56 PM

3,815 posts, read 9,397,164 times

Advertisements

I've seen more than my fair share of urban redevelopment around central Phoenix the past few years. But this is a first for me. At Third Street & Earl (just north of Thomas) the entire block of homes and businesses has been fenced off to make room for another apartment complex. Wondering how the developer was able to make an offer that at least 20+ homeowners couldn't refuse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 03:05 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,430,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I've seen more than my fair share of urban redevelopment around central Phoenix the past few years. But this is a first for me. At Third Street & Earl (just north of Thomas) the entire block of homes and businesses has been fenced off to make room for another apartment complex. Wondering how the developer was able to make an offer that at least 20+ homeowners couldn't refuse?
One of the apartments I used to live at ended up demolishing a couple blocks worth of existing single family homes to build, in the vicinity of 24th St and Culver St. If you look at a satellite image of the area from over 10 years ago and today, completely different

Old 05-14-2018, 05:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,717,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
They are building an apartment complex right there for autistic adults.

Phoenix nonprofit builds apartments to help adults living with a - Arizona's Family

Old 05-14-2018, 05:20 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,705,896 times
I don't know the history but the applicant asked for and received a zoning change a year ago from R-5 (multi-family) and R1-6 (small lot single family) to "WU (Walkable Urban Code) T5:6 MT(Midtown Transit Oriented Development Policy District)". It was already in the General Plan as "Multifamily Residential, 15+ dwellings per acre" so this usage must have been foreseen for some time. They are approved for 335 dwelling units with 517 parking spaces and 50 bicycle parking spaces. The proximity to light rail would have allowed them (should have in my mind) to go down to 474 parking spaces but they did not. Primary pedestrian access is on 3rd Street with a parking garage facing Cheery Lynn.

Details: https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...PZ/Z-12-17.pdf

Old 05-14-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

Phoenix nonprofit builds apartments to help adults living with a - Arizona's Family
No, that is something different, much smaller and farther south.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:51 AM

3,815 posts, read 9,397,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

That complex is almost done, I'm working with the agency that is building that. This is a new complex on the other side of Earl.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:26 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,895,139 times
I'm all for infill but the trend of bulldozing single family homes to build over priced "luxury" apartments is sickening. The amount of these units coming on line is ridiculous and totally unsustainable. Developer greed buying city councilman and not giving a crap about what's best for our city. Typical.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:36 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,430,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I'm all for infill but the trend of bulldozing single family homes to build over priced "luxury" apartments is sickening. The amount of these units coming on line is ridiculous and totally unsustainable. Developer greed buying city councilman and not giving a crap about what's best for our city. Typical.
How is it sickening? Supply and demand. Would you rather have a $1,500/month apartment or a $800,000 house (which would be a $4,000/month mortgage payment with no down, $3,200/month if you could come up with the 20% down)?

Old 05-15-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Developer greed is a fact, but "buying city councilman (sic)" is reckless rhetoric. I suppose that you have evidence.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 AM

2,755 posts, read 7,376,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Developer greed is a fact, but "buying city councilman (sic)" is reckless rhetoric. I suppose that you have evidence.
Allegations of corruption have unfortunately become common even when the only real complaint is an undesired outcome. There are plenty of controversial decisions made every day, but relatively few are attributable to genuine corruption. Personally, I'm glad to see more density near light rail, although I agree with your earlier statement that it would have been nice to see the developer take advantage of diminished parking requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: