Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:23 PM

110 posts, read 118,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntin View Post
My house is about 1/2 a mile from the tracks in southwest Tempe. I've never heard the train.
That's good to know. Makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 06:23 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,579,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
All it takes is one flood to totally ruin your home and destroy thousands of dollars in possessions. That's why I'm concerned about flooding. I want to avoid the flood zones. If I have to buy flood insurance, that area is a no-go for me.
Your realtor can help outline the flood zones in whatever area you are interested in. However, with our monsoons you just NEVER know where flooding will happen.

I was in Chandler in September, 2014 when we had 6 1/2 inches of rain in ONE day. Not all parts of the valley were affected. Chandler and parts of Mesa were hit worst.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...back/31563463/

Old 05-18-2018, 11:20 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,197,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
All it takes is one flood to totally ruin your home and destroy thousands of dollars in possessions. That's why I'm concerned about flooding. I want to avoid the flood zones. If I have to buy flood insurance, that area is a no-go for me.
If you ever purchase any real estate you will be given a flood map. EVERYTHING is in a flood zone the question you should be asking is if it is bad enough that it requires flood insurance. When it rains you will always need to be concerned with flooding in the valley; heavy rains are rare but they do happen and because we are so dry the soil doesn't do the best job soaking it up right away. Pay attention to the forecast and if it seems it may be bad enough I'm pretty sure the fire department does free sand bags, they do out here in the NW valley but you bag yourself.

Find a realtor that knows the area, the questions you are asking are a little odd. If there are train tracks there will be horns at every intersection for safety reasons, the trains run most nights I'd bet, hell I saw one train that was two engine cars running at 2 am heading down Grand a few weeks ago.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:29 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,235,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Ive lost over $10K worth of property from flooding here in PHX. We learned our lesson real fast. If a property poses even the slightest risk of flooding, we look elsewhere. Having to live with no carpet, drywall, etc, for weeks while repairs are underway, and throwing out personal belongings such as a laptop, irreplaceable college projects, etc, that were damaged due to flooding is heartbreaking.
That's awful!! I'm sorry that happened to you

I do think the OP's feats of flooding are a bit extreme got Phoenix though. It's nothing like the Midwest where entire small towns are wiped out by flooding and the water doesn't recede for weeks. I grew up on the Mississippi River so I'm familiar. It's nothing like that here.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:00 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,921,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That's awful!! I'm sorry that happened to you

I do think the OP's feats of flooding are a bit extreme got Phoenix though. It's nothing like the Midwest where entire small towns are wiped out by flooding and the water doesn't recede for weeks. I grew up on the Mississippi River so I'm familiar. It's nothing like that here.
Thanks! We've moved on, but it still felt horrible having to throw away dozens of my college advertising, design, and illustration projects that I worked so hard on. Ill never get those back.

While its true that the Valley doesn't experience flooding on the levels of the Midwest/South/NE, etc, we still flood. Water damage is water damage. In the Midwest if you don't live around a river or pond, you're pretty much ok. I never once had any place get even remote water damage, and that included 12 residences over the last 20 years. Plus you basically always had advance warning in the Midwest, so you can prepare. Here if it rains hard for just an hour or so, you're SOL if you live in a flood zone because the water gets so deep so fast, there's not much reaction time. People here lose cars and homes due to water damage all the time here in PHX. I'm talking entire blocks sometimes. I think it was 2 years ago we had a good rainfall one morning and by afternoon our company had about 25+ cars towed in for water damage. Total write-off's. One car had so much water in the trunk (that's how deep the water was at their house) that you could have floated several catfish in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area