Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 AM

262 posts, read 202,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
So...man is fiddling with a handgun at the bus stop (not really illegal but suspicious), 911 call goes in from a Security Guard, police showed up, confront the person and tell him not to touch the firearm in his pocket, man proceeds to pull the handgun from their pocket and the Police defended themselves from a perceived threat.

That about sum it up? If the Police tell you to not touch a potentially deadly weapon...don't do it.

"Officer, I am not dangerous and have no intention of harming you, would you like me to present my firearm?"
Maybe he thought they would be impressed!

Maybe he thought they’d be buddies if they liked his gun enough.

Maybe they liked his gun so much they killed him for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 07:39 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azc.../amp/658433002

I’m with the mom I want to see video evidence of what took place.

Man is described as someone that wouldn’t just be fiddling with guns.

Very may well have just been seen with a gun and never had done any motions to intimidate at all.

I don’t know if anyone that was there to tell us otherwise

Old 06-01-2018, 08:26 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,138,339 times
That is why there are reviews of officer related shootings and trials. This whole new "Court of Public Opinion" has got to stop. There are processes and procedures in place for a reason. The fact that you think you are entitled to a review of all the evidence in the case is just one part of how the proliferation of information and social media is just ruining our society. Even if the officers in question are proven justified, under the law, in this case...one or two misunderstandings of the evidence, some public protest, and vilification of the officers can and has (in the past) ruined their lives and livelihoods.

Just stop.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:37 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,915,605 times
Quote:
That is why there are reviews of officer related shootings and trials. This whole new "Court of Public Opinion" has got to stop. There are processes and procedures in place for a reason. The fact that you think you are entitled to a review of all the evidence in the case is just one part of how the proliferation of information and social media is just ruining our society. Even if the officers in question are proven justified, under the law, in this case...one or two misunderstandings of the evidence, some public protest, and vilification of the officers can and has (in the past) ruined their lives and livelihoods.

Just stop.
Spot On!

Old 06-02-2018, 09:27 PM

Oh excuse me for wanting to hold the people who can legally kill us and get away with it accountable.

I can’t get away with it so why can they?

In THIS case I have no clue except the word of the people who have the most to gain from embellishing the story towards their own favor.

But in MANY cases cops get away with flat out murder. I’m not gonna apologize for wanting every kill to be justified

Old 06-03-2018, 04:40 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times
They are held accountable. Where are all these cases where they get away with murder?

Old 06-03-2018, 08:58 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
Oh excuse me for wanting to hold the people who can legally kill us and get away with it accountable.

In THIS case I have no clue except the word of the people who have the most to gain from embellishing the story towards their own favor.

But in MANY cases cops get away with flat out murder. I’m not gonna apologize for wanting every kill to be justified

You're right you don't have any clues so why bother starting this thread just to stir the pot? Maybe wait until all the FACTS are out than post you judgement but don't persecute the cop until then!

Old 06-03-2018, 10:45 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,138,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post

I'm sorry....are you a defense attorney retained by the suspect in this case? Are you a judge? Some sort of government official that is entitled to advance evidence in this case?

Do you honestly link that most Police Officers wake up in the morning thinking, "Hey, I am going to go out and kill someone today." You have the same amount of rights as a Police Officer when it comes to "getting away with murder". It is called Self Defense. Police officers don't have the right to just go around shooting people for the fun of it and neither do you. Also, you are both going to be going through due process in the event of a shooting.

For Police Officers it is a bit different since they have been trained and the event may have taken place in the course of their duties. There is going to be a review, they are going to be placed on desk duty for a while while the incident is under review and if found a "justifiable shooting" be placed back on duty. If not, they are going to have to go on trial.

You, as a private citizen, do NOT engage the dregs of society on a daily basis so the likelihood of you engaging in a life threatening situation are infinitely smaller. You have not been trained to handle life and death situations in the course of your going about your work day. You are more than likely going to be arrested, questioned and then the shooting would have to be reviewed to determine a claim of self defense. If so, no charges will be filed. If not, you will be tried for the crime.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:57 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,915,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
You're right you don't have any clues so why bother starting this thread just to stir the pot? Maybe wait until all the FACTS are out than post you judgement but don't persecute the cop until then!
Never let the facts get in the way of a good internet post!

Quote:
I'm sorry....are you a defense attorney retained by the suspect in this case? Are you a judge? Some sort of government official that is entitled to advance evidence in this case?

Do you honestly link that most Police Officers wake up in the morning thinking, "Hey, I am going to go out and kill someone today." You have the same amount of rights as a Police Officer when it comes to "getting away with murder". It is called Self Defense. Police officers don't have the right to just go around shooting people for the fun of it and neither do you. Also, you are both going to be going through due process in the event of a shooting.

For Police Officers it is a bit different since they have been trained and the event may have taken place in the course of their duties. There is going to be a review, they are going to be placed on desk duty for a while while the incident is under review and if found a "justifiable shooting" be placed back on duty. If not, they are going to have to go on trial.

You, as a private citizen, do NOT engage the dregs of society on a daily basis so the likelihood of you engaging in a life threatening situation are infinitely smaller. You have not been trained to handle life and death situations in the course of your going about your work day. You are more than likely going to be arrested, questioned and then the shooting would have to be reviewed to determine a claim of self defense. If so, no charges will be filed. If not, you will be tried for the crime.
Its in vogue today to accuse every cop who shoots a criminal of some sort of wrong doing; you are 1000% correct in everything you said here Kurt..

Old 06-03-2018, 01:40 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,633,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Never let the facts get in the way of a good internet post!

Its in vogue today to accuse every cop who shoots a criminal of some sort of wrong doing; you are 1000% correct in everything you said here Kurt..
I suppose I need to rephrase my response. The notion that people question authority because it’s “in vogue” couldn’t be more erroneous. There have been many cases where cops have been on the losing end of a wrongful death. No one has suggested that that is the majority case. This has nothing to do with style, but rather with holding all parties accountable. What could anyone possibly find wrong with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area