Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:54 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,029,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Look into Sierra Vista too. Why anyone would want to retire to multimillion people metro Phoenix when there are so many nicer places both here and around the country is beyond me.
The short answer is that small communities like Sierra Vista can't even begin to compete with a big metro like Phoenix in terms of activities, amenities, shopping choices, local media, social groups, on and on. Talk about boring: I think the Rim country or Sierra Vista would fit that bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 AM

4,620 posts, read 9,252,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
If you were younger, I would have said cash out, come to AZ, use some of your proceeds to buy a house, and invest the rest so you can be a multi millionaire. But since you seem older, I would follow your gut. Do you want to live where everything is familiar and is closer to family or do you want to save money and live on the land of unknown?
If they are retiring I would think it's safe to assume that they're already a multi-millionaire. Unless one has a pension (which most younger retirees do not have), 2 million would be a starting point.

I would prefer Orange County to Peoria, but I'm not a fan of condo living and sharing walls. If that is the trade off then maybe Peoria is a better option. Keep in mind San Diego County is cheaper than OC, maybe look at prices there first to see if you can find a single family home at the right price.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:20 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,029,835 times
^^^^^ You're uninformed if you think you're going to find "bargains" in San Diego county compared with OC. That is, of course, if you don't mind living in a slum that looks similar to Tijuana��

Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM

192 posts, read 133,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
If they are retiring I would think it's safe to assume that they're already a multi-millionaire. Unless one has a pension (which most younger retirees do not have), 2 million would be a starting point.

I would prefer Orange County to Peoria, but I'm not a fan of condo living and sharing walls. If that is the trade off then maybe Peoria is a better option. Keep in mind San Diego County is cheaper than OC, maybe look at prices there first to see if you can find a single family home at the right price.
But there is the question of how long those $$$’s will last in retirement. Az undoubtedly has a lower col than anywhere in California. Even with prop 13 there, we were able to buy homes (2) in Az worth twice as much as our California home and our Az property taxes are still half of what they were in Cali on one home.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
^^^^^ You're uninformed if you think you're going to find "bargains" in San Diego county compared with OC
Quite the opposite actually, I'm a former Californian and research properties regularly as I plan to return. Areas like Oceanside, within 1 mile from the ocean are SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than an area 1 mile from the ocean in Orange County. There are of course some very expensive areas in SD county, but if one wants to live 5 minutes from the ocean, there are relative bargains in SD county compared to Orange County. Even areas like Carlsbad and Encinitas are much more affordable than their comparisons in OC. I think you're mistaken because SD county is much more expensive than Phoenix.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
But there is the question of how long those $$$’s will last in retirement. Az undoubtedly has a lower col than anywhere in California. Even with prop 13 there, we were able to buy homes (2) in Az worth twice as much as our California home and our Az property taxes are still half of what they were in Cali on one home.
Right, I'm not speaking to what their specific finances are, they simply stated the option is a condo in OC or a house in Peoria. I can't decide for them if they can or can't afford this versus that.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:05 AM

189 posts, read 229,738 times
whatever you do, don't choose Tucson lol

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...e-in/35909271/

Old 06-13-2018, 11:17 AM

755 posts, read 1,116,150 times
The upside of OC is climate and beach as far as I know. For you personally, maybe family, friends, roots... Downside is cost of living and (from my perspective) just too crowded. Living in a condo versus a beautiful, well-designed sfh with private pool (and in Vistancia, likely a golf course and/or mountain view) is a downside in my view but might be an upside to those looking to simplify. A condo with an ocean view, that would be another story. Walkable to the beach? Would need to think hard.

How often do you get to the beach? How important is the proximity to your support system/family/friends? Does that outweigh the downsides?

If you're a homebody who doesn't need to get to the "big city amenities" too often (say, once or twice a week for sporting events, upscale shopping, cultural events etc.) Peoria is lovely if quiet and Vistancia is beautiful and well-planned. Golf, tennis, pickleball, etc. and plenty of walking with hiking nearby and Lake Pleasant not far away. Still the airport, football, baseball, shopping are within what is reasonable driving distance in that huge valley where one becomes accustomed to driving everywhere.

As far as that's concerned, I don't see the driving and suburban nature of the Valley of the Sun (which many deride) as much different from OC.

Hey, there's another upside. IMO, even in traffic the highways in Phoenix are much more pleasant than those in SoCal. Tidy, attractive, well-designed!

In fact, if you do not need to be in the thick of things (and as stated earlier in the thread, you probably can't go wrong investment-wise buying something closer in to Scottsdale or central Phoenix proper) there are plenty of beautiful, well-planned developments all over the valley, some of which will be lower in price than Vistancia. Estrella in Goodyear, Pebblecreek (55+) in Goodyear, Verrado in Buckeye, too many to name in Gilbert and Chandler....Northeast Mesa is close to some lakes as well and has some very attractive golf course and gated communities that are comparable in price to Vistancia.

So, upside in AZ is that you can take your choice of places to live, basically; have a new or nearly new home in a beautiful neighborhood where you can walk and recreate 8 months of the year and hide in your pool the other 4 if so inclined; We found people all over the valley friendly, and so many transplants and groups/activities that it's relatively easy to make new friends if you'd like; lower overall cost of living; beautiful desert surroundings if you like that kind of thing; better tax situation.

If being at the beach a lot were part of my way of daily life though, I'd have a hard time giving that up. But I know several people living in OC who get to the beach a few times a year and are killing themselves to keep up or have resigned themselves to never owning a home though they'd like to. I could easily get to the beach that often and still live a better daily lifestyle in AZ.

Phoenix has an art scene, a foodie scene, sporting events, great air service....Really convenient infrastructure for aging which is not nothing...

Just no ocean!

Old 06-13-2018, 11:29 AM

97 posts, read 134,700 times
Quote:

San Diego county isn’t somewhere I would want to live. Just never been interested living there.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:56 AM

192 posts, read 133,050 times
Quote:
Right, I'm not speaking to what their specific finances are, they simply stated the option is a condo in OC or a house in Peoria. I can't decide for them if they can or can't afford this versus that.
I was just adding something else to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area