U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-29-2008, 02:01 PM

97 posts, read 184,554 times
Talking Phoenix - College student friendly?

Hi,

I currently live in Grand Forks, ND. (Way up there, right? ) Well, I am sick of the cold, crappy weather, and also I am sick of how slow technology is advancing up here.

Is Phoenix a nice place to live for someone in his or her twenties? Or is Phoenix just a place for retirement?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-29-2008, 02:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 10,191,098 times
It's both! There's a great mix of ages here. Some areas you will find more retired folks and some areas you'll see a younger crowd.

Unread 03-29-2008, 03:24 PM

769 posts, read 1,348,620 times
I've been to Phoenix, AZ many times. Last year I spent a month there in September. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a friendly place for people in their twenties (I'm 23), but you can find some similar people there. But moving from ND may be a real shock for you. I am from Minnesota and it was certainly a shock in it's own way. Some places I went to I had to speak Spanish to get by. Also, the hot weather surprised me. I've lived in places that were in their 80s or 90s before but that was a tad bit too much for me. But since I've lived in suburban cities before I didn't find Phoenix that big of a shock because Phoenix is a suburban city. And I felt very much at home going around the strip malls.

All in all, Phoenix is extremely different from North Dakota. Truly be prepared for a sharp contrast between the two; and research it more. Definitely.

Unread 03-29-2008, 03:39 PM

5,457 posts, read 12,930,526 times
One of my best friends here at ASU is from Fargo, ND (incidentally, he plans on moving to Minneapolis after he graduates). There are also a ton of people from nearby Minnesota-- so you're not alone. Phoenix has a lot of young people, especially in the Tempe-Scottsdale corridor as well as the area of Mesa around MCC. What colleges are you looking at? Community college? Are you looking at ASU? Phoenix/Tempe can be a good place to go to college, but keep in mind, you'll have a totally different experience here than in a "college town." Most college students here, including most ASU students, especially after freshman year in the dorms is over, are really just young people living in Tempe in an apartment, working a job, who happen to go to classes on the side, some full time, some part time. As well as partying it up on Friday and Saturday nights (and often Thursday night too). It's a very "real world" kind of place and not a very "collegiate" atmosphere. I'm not saying one is better than the other; it all depends what you're looking for.

Unread 03-29-2008, 03:50 PM

1,478 posts, read 3,789,023 times
It's a myth that Phoenix is a city of retirees. It's actually one of the youngest cities in the country. Median age is 31.4, tied with Austin TX for 60th place among the 70 largest cities when those cities are ranked in descending order of median age.

Places within United States - R0101. Median Age

Unread 03-29-2008, 04:38 PM

Wow! Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I am actually 22 and I run a website as my main job/business, so college is just an afterthought. I have lived in northern Minnesota (and then eastern North Dakota) all of my life and it's just time for a change. Maybe I will end back up here, I don't know. I have other family who have moved from Fargo, ND, to Phoenix, AZ, and they love it... so I don't think it will be that bad. I guess I can always get an apartment for a while and see if I really like it enough to buy a house.

My biggest fear, I suppose, is just not knowing anything about Arizona or the area... but I guess that is the case with any place.

Have any of you heard or been to Anthem, AZ? That is where my relatives suggested I buy a house because it's a "new" area and still close to Phoenix.

So, college kids and the younger crowd generally live in Tempe-Scottsdale?

I have my generals done for college, so I would just be continuing a four year degree (hopefully at a university). I don't even know what the best universities around this area are. I guess I'll have to do my research.

Unread 03-29-2008, 04:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,278,942 times
Default Phoenix among least stressful metro areas, according to study

I would not recommend Anthem for a young 22 year old. Anthem is nice, but more of a family community then a college one. Tempe and Scottsdale would be more attractive.

Unread 03-29-2008, 07:22 PM

77 posts, read 166,202 times
To repeat what others have said, Tempe and [South/Old Town] Scottsdale are nicer for those of us in our twenties than way up in Anthem would be. Especially if you are planning on finishing a 4 year degree at a University. Arizona State does have other campuses (West, East, & Downtown) but the primary campus is in Tempe and Anthem would be a painful drive. ASU is the major university in the Valley.

Unread 03-29-2008, 08:26 PM

5,457 posts, read 12,930,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
Wow! Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I am actually 22 and I run a website as my main job/business, so college is just an afterthought. I have lived in northern Minnesota (and then eastern North Dakota) all of my life and it's just time for a change. Maybe I will end back up here, I don't know. I have other family who have moved from Fargo, ND, to Phoenix, AZ, and they love it... so I don't think it will be that bad. I guess I can always get an apartment for a while and see if I really like it enough to buy a house.
I have my generals done for college, so I would just be continuing a four year degree (hopefully at a university). I don't even know what the best universities around this area are. I guess I'll have to do my research.
Well there sure aren't any colleges in Anthem! There's only one full blown 4-year traditional university in the Phoenix area: Arizona State U. Their main location is in Tempe, but there's also a branch campus in northwest Phoenix (51st Ave & Thunderbird) that you may be interested in if you want to live in the north side of town. I wouldn't recommend living in Anthem though (don't want to start another fist fight on this forum, but I said it, so there!); north Glendale or north Peoria or parts of north Phoenix is a better choice, IMO. There are a bunch of rinky-dink "adult education" schools around town (like every other city) that may or may not even be accredited (like University of Phoenix).

Unread 03-29-2008, 10:46 PM

I didn't realize there was only ASU.

hmmm

The city I live in now is where the University of North Dakota is, and since the town is only 50,000 people and there are like 14,000 students... you get the picture. (A lot of college kids.)

Anyway, I appreciate all of the replies. I guess I just have a little thinking to do. Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area