U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:54 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,598,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Ok, I agree with the above posts that Ca is much more expensive than Phoenix, but honestly if it were me I'd try California. You're young once and you'd have a lot more to do and see in CA than in Phoenix. When you are ready to slow down come back and see us here in the desert. It's nice, but you must be willing to accept it for what it is.
I agree for the most part.

In defense of SoCal today; its one trump card are the much milder summers.

That stated; the cost of renting/buying here in the Phx area is significantly less to be polite.

So it would be a wash.

I moved to Calif in 1978 (SF Bay area), then 1980 found me in the Los Angeles area---------within a decade I wound up in Arizona have been here continuously with the exception of a few months in Oregon (1990).

After reading about Phx of 30 years ago, talking with the 'old timers', as well as looking around the older (pre 1970) enclaves, if I were age 20 again-------frankly speaking, I would have bypassed Calif and headed straight here from Wash DC. I left DC in 1978.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:19 AM

87 posts, read 214,181 times
Humm, if I were 18 again. Well, I'm not but, if I were I'd move to LA. I grew up in the bay area of California, then moved to LA in my early 20's and moved to the Northwest in my early 30's were I lived ever since. The Northwest has been great as a young man. Good for outdoor activities even in the winter (fly fishing in the rain, snow skiing etc). But that was then, this is now. LA is the place to be if you are young.

Now that I'm 50, I'm moving back to the sunlight. For some of us as we age, we long for more sun and the possibility of more activity that sunlight (vs rain, cloudiness or snow) brings. I'm single again, kids are grown and out of the house, my job follows me, no dog, no cat, no girlfriend or drama so time to relocate with just myself to consider - almost like being an 18 year old again (except that I'm not).

Old 03-30-2008, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 13,034 times
My cousin was running the other posts.
But now I am because she bailed.
One of the reasons I'm looking into Arizona more than Long beach... Is because the school I'm attending has a soccer program.
& I'm semi Nervous about meeting people.
In Cali the school I'll be attending doesn't have soccer.
Does anybody know of any soccer leagues in Long beach for somebody my age?

Old 03-30-2008, 01:46 PM

274 posts, read 540,024 times
Move to California and be young fabulous and broke. After you get all the party years out of your life, move someplace that will actually allow you to afford a life. Phoenix seems to be a hot spot for disgruntled Californian transplants.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 PM

1,846 posts, read 1,825,753 times
Thumbs up Cali Caliente!

Definitely go to Long Beach...here's some info regarding soccer teams:

Long Beach Soccer Club
Southern California Soccer Clubs

Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 30,774 times
I lived in Orange County from 2002-2007 and I loved it! Living there in my younger years was great, but when it's time to buy a house and start a family that's when Phoenix is a better place for that.

You can't beat Belmont Shores south of downtown LB, love that place!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 AM

3,229 posts, read 5,922,269 times
Keep in mind that she is 18.

If you move to California it is very expensive. You will have to get a roomate/more likely roomates...

Long Beach is up and coming but there are some areas that are still dangerous.

California has more educational and employment opportunities...

Also keep in mind that L.A. already has 187 murders this year....That puts them on pace for 750 for this year...

L.A. Homicide Report

Old 03-31-2008, 03:23 PM

1,846 posts, read 1,825,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Keep in mind that she is 18.

If you move to California it is very expensive. You will have to get a roomate/more likely roomates...

Long Beach is up and coming but there are some areas that are still dangerous.

California has more educational and employment opportunities...

Also keep in mind that L.A. already has 187 murders this year....That puts them on pace for 750 for this year...

L.A. Homicide Report
Well, to be accurate, the entire state of California is not very expensive. However, statewide, California is "safer" than Arizona, according to these latest stats Most Dangerous States.

Also the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale Metro area is more dangerous than all of Los Angeles County.

At 18 I would suggest being safe and cautious wherever you choose to live...but I still say, enjoy the beach and play soccer in the California sun while you're young!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 PM

3,229 posts, read 5,922,269 times
I just moved from California...lived there for ten years (L.A. County).

Stats really do not mean much because Auto Thefts skew them for this area...

So sorry to tell you, based on the real world, L.A. is a much more dangerous and expensive place then Arizona. When a 900 square foot home in Compton California cost $300,000 then you know something is very wrong...

Mesa, Phoenix, and Scottsdale is not more dangerous then L.A....plain and simple...

Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 21,050,060 times
Lived almost 20 years just outside of LB. Go for it. There is no comparison. Tough call when you are thirty have small children and can't make enough to get by in LB. But that is a different set of cirucumstances.

Enjoy..LB is a fabulous place to be young...raised my daughters there and think it pretty hard to find a better spot.

Screw the economics. Young people get by everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area