Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Gone are the days when Phoenix was seen as a cheap haven. It's not cheap to live here anymore, and the home prices are a clear sign of it. We can still be affordable compared to many cities in CA, but being cheap does little for us other than attract cheap people who are here for cheap reasons. Hopefully, the spike in prices will attract better quality newcomers who are business & goal oriented, rather than because it's sunnier & cheaper than where they came from!
This. Too many people move here because they can’t afford quality “back home”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,852 times
Quote:
Gone are the days when Phoenix was seen as a cheap haven. It's not cheap to live here anymore, and the home prices are a clear sign of it. We can still be affordable compared to many cities in CA, but being cheap does little for us other than attract cheap people who are here for cheap reasons. Hopefully, the spike in prices will attract better quality newcomers who are business & goal oriented, rather than because it's sunnier & cheaper than where they came from!
Phoenix shouldn’t be getting too expensive ether because eventually the houses won’t be worth it when you can buy an average house by the beach over a super expensive luxury McMansion in the middle of a scorching hot desert.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:04 PM

277 posts, read 276,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I see another real estate crash coming
There are plenty of Phoenix sub markets that aren’t even at their 2006 highs, we are actually at quite an expected price on a solid 4-5% value increase a year.

Maybe some submarkets like Arcadia are overbought for sure but a general market crash and housing collapse a la 2006-2008 isn’t in the cards. If there is another recession (there will be) it’s likely to be much shorter and less severe than the last and he prices should recover quickly and not fall so far.

You should be happy recessions like the one we just went through happen once in a century. You got nothing to worry about.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:08 PM

277 posts, read 276,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA to AZ View Post
Phoenix shouldn’t be getting too expensive ether because eventually the houses won’t be worth it when you can buy an average house by the beach over a super expensive luxury McMansion in the middle of a scorching hot desert.
Why don’t you just move if you don’t like it. Save t for your psychiatrist and spare us the act

Old 07-07-2018, 07:56 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
Nice view but all the inside brown is depressing. If I had that kind of money, I still wouldn't buy the place knowing I'd be repainting every single wall in that house. Ugh.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Values going too high too fast.
Not really...it is supply and demand. Look at all the people on this forum every day...or on FB in the Living Chandler Group saying they are moving to AZ. "Moving to AZ...I want the best of everything" "Moving to AZ...how do I get my kid into BASIS" "Moving to AZ...how hot is it really". It is July and our local Fry's parking lot is covered with out of state license plates. (Pretty sure they are not here to enjoy the Dry Heat) Houses in my area are being snatched up in a week with bidding wars again. Maybe it is because we are by Intel, maybe it is because CUSD is one of the top rated school districts in the state...whatever the reason...people are still moving here in droves. That means the demand for available housing is going to go up, which raises the prices. Builders are starting to build again and resale homes are in demand as well.

I don't think this is a bubble. It is people wanting to live in this state...and bringing cash with them to do it.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:50 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Nice view but all the inside brown is depressing. If I had that kind of money, I still wouldn't buy the place knowing I'd be repainting every single wall in that house. Ugh.

I don't care for Fountain Hills because often the view is of the other houses on the next ridge over. That's not my idea of enjoying nature.

But you're right, it's a relatively small house and the brown just makes the rooms look smaller.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:52 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Not really...it is supply and demand. Look at all the people on this forum every day...or on FB in the Living Chandler Group saying they are moving to AZ. "Moving to AZ...I want the best of everything" "Moving to AZ...how do I get my kid into BASIS" "Moving to AZ...how hot is it really". It is July and our local Fry's parking lot is covered with out of state license plates. (Pretty sure they are not here to enjoy the Dry Heat) Houses in my area are being snatched up in a week with bidding wars again. Maybe it is because we are by Intel, maybe it is because CUSD is one of the top rated school districts in the state...whatever the reason...people are still moving here in droves. That means the demand for available housing is going to go up, which raises the prices. Builders are starting to build again and resale homes are in demand as well.

I don't think this is a bubble. It is people wanting to live in this state...and bringing cash with them to do it.
Good points

Old 07-08-2018, 08:06 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Not just California, we are literally cheaper than every other large city in the West except Tucson, which for whatever reason virtually nobody moves to Tucson. We're a bargain city with a booming economy, higher education opportunities, and all the benefits of big city living in the sunbelt. We were bound to see prices come in line with the region and we aren't even close to where it could be.

Here is the data:
Salt Lake City: $350,000
Denver: $503,000
Las Vegas: $265,000
Reno: $352,000
Portland: $428,000
Seattle: $770,000
Sacramento: $316,000
SF: $1.6M
LA: $576,000
SD: $595,000

Phoenix: $236,900

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 01:39 AM..

Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post

Totally agree, we have regular flyers on our door again with people proposing cash offers to buy our home right now. It's not for sale and no plans for it to be available any time soon. I see unsolicited offers as a strong economy.

What's been interesting about this boom is the volume of infill it's creating, central Phoenix between the 7's is really taking off like we thought it would in 2005-2006 timeframe but it never materialized. It's really nice to see the 6 cranes in downtown now with another 5 hopefully coming soon with Palm Tower & Marriott Midrise at AZC, Kenect PHX, Berger Hotel, Collier Center...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area