U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:42 AM

3,903 posts, read 4,445,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Saving that kind of money you could also easily have a home on a lake in Northern AZ for winter ski trips and summer getaways. I don't think I'd have any problem with this move personally, but then again I've always preferred to live in the desert by choice, not by force.
So...out of curiosity...where are these "homes on a lake"? Only place I am aware that has waterfront available is Pinetop-Lakeside and (arguably) that is not much of a lake.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-08-2018, 11:03 AM

3,921 posts, read 3,102,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
So...out of curiosity...where are these "homes on a lake"? Only place I am aware that has waterfront available is Pinetop-Lakeside and (arguably) that is not much of a lake.
I really like Alpine

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

Pinetop works for me too, I'm not here to argue over what's a "real lake" though. A lake in the mountains around pines is great to me.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/13_zm/0_mmm/

Along the river near Payson looks alright as well

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/11_zm/0_mmm/

Near the McCain's in Cornville wouldn't be a bad spot either

Old 07-08-2018, 02:16 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,729,580 times
I feel embarrassed by the rudeness our forum has shown the OP. I'm sure he/she knew it stays above 100 for the entire summer. However, doing is quite different than knowing.

In any case, I think once you get over the initial shock and/or depression, you will acclimate--at least that's how it went for me. Most important thing is to have a strong, reliable AC system and keep your car in the garage (and you can even air condition your garage (I might.)

For example, when I need to mow the lawn, I first take the garden hose and totally soak myself. Keeps me perfectly cool until I'm done.

Another thing is shade. I can't imagine living in a home where the yard is all rocks, yuccas and cacti. I have nice shade trees--the cost to water them is worth it to me.

Final thought: Think of it this way--I do: All we valley dwellers are in this together. It's slightly like an endurance test and when it feels insanely hot sometimes, it becomes funny to me. Yeah, kind of weird humor but I bet you get it ��

Old 07-08-2018, 02:20 PM

550 posts, read 1,513,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA to AZ View Post
I was tired of the traffic In California and the wacky politics so In December 2017 I sold my property for 1.4m and bought a dream McMansion in Scottsdale. It was the best decision I made in my entire life.. until the first summer hit. To be honest, if I would had known what I was getting myself into I wouldn’t had left California.

I’v driven through the San Fernando Valley and Inland Empire when it gets 98 degrees so I assumed “no big deal, Scottsdale will just be like that but slightly hotter” but boy was I wrong. There’s something different about the desert heat.

Also I miss the feeling of just knowing the beach is around the corner even if I wasn’t going to get in the water. Sure my big pool in Scottsdale is magnificent but I don’t get the coastal breeze or nice marine layer in the mornings to wake up to. Now I’m stuck here in my mountainless view house until my employee contract ends in 5 years.

I love Arizona the rest of the year though. I’ll just keep a positive attitude, blast the AC, and he get off ice cream. No hiking for me.
If you can afford a nice house in Scottsdale, I would recommend buying a cabin in northern Arizona. Go there during summer. You could also head to the California coast and rent a vacation property through Air BNB or something similar.

There is nothing like Phoenix heat. There is a reason why it's called Valley of the Sun.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:10 PM

277 posts, read 245,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I feel embarrassed by the rudeness our forum has shown the OP. I'm sure he/she knew it stays above 100 for the entire summer. However, doing is quite different than knowing.

In any case, I think once you get over the initial shock and/or depression, you will acclimate--at least that's how it went for me. Most important thing is to have a strong, reliable AC system and keep your car in the garage (and you can even air condition your garage (I might.)

For example, when I need to mow the lawn, I first take the garden hose and totally soak myself. Keeps me perfectly cool until I'm done.

Another thing is shade. I can't imagine living in a home where the yard is all rocks, yuccas and cacti. I have nice shade trees--the cost to water them is worth it to me.

Final thought: Think of it this way--I do: All we valley dwellers are in this together. It's slightly like an endurance test and when it feels insanely hot sometimes, it becomes funny to me. Yeah, kind of weird humor but I bet you get it ��
It’s because every day you have people come to this forum to complain about it being hot and it’s a waste of all of our time

Old 07-08-2018, 03:48 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,604,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
It’s because every day you have people come to this forum to complain about it being hot and it’s a waste of all of our time
If it is a waste of your time why do you keep coming in this thread now that you know it is a complaint about it being hot?

Old 07-08-2018, 03:49 PM

3,903 posts, read 4,445,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I really like Alpine

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

Pinetop works for me too, I'm not here to argue over what's a "real lake" though. A lake in the mountains around pines is great to me.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/13_zm/0_mmm/

Along the river near Payson looks alright as well

Near the McCain's in Cornville wouldn't be a bad spot either

Fair enough...although nothing like some states that actually have homes built on lakes with docks, boats, etc. Just wondering.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:54 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,327,120 times
Dry heat is a b%tch, it's a scorching heat that makes you feel you are in an oven. In my opinion, humidity helps, nice to see someone who agrees. Living in a desert climate the issues that come with dehydration are simply unlivable to me.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:18 PM

468 posts, read 279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA to AZ View Post
..... but I don’t get the coastal breeze or nice marine layer in the mornings to wake up to. Now I’m stuck here in my mountainless view house until my employee contract ends in 5 years.

I love Arizona the rest of the year though. I’ll just keep a positive attitude, blast the AC, and he get off ice cream. No hiking for me.
It's only my second full summer here but trust me, you'll get used to the high temps. Like others have mentioned, take advantage of the cooler temps earlier in the day and when the sun goes down. In five years (probably sooner) you'll think 70 is cold.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:49 PM

575 posts, read 390,448 times
There will always be a less-than-desirable season regardless of where you live. You have to decide which is more tolerable - hot summers, bitter cold winters, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods....

I also hate extreme heat and know living in Phoenix would be difficult for me in the summer. Have you checked out Mount Lemon in the Tucson area? There are some cabins and rentals available and is supposed to be nice and cool.

The 'ideal' in the US is to have a summer home and a winter home. Most of us can only dream of that, though, so we have to pick our poison. My poison is Southern Oregon. Hot summers but not too much and the season is fairly short. Chilly winters but not too cold. All-in-all, it has fewer bad things about it than other places.

Here's hoping you get through the summer in Phoenix and enjoy the rest of the year which is glorious. Wishing you luck and happiness! Also, if you brought that $1.4 million back to Malibu tomorrow, you'd be lucky to get a trailer at Paradise Cove, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area