Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 05:52 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Yeah well, ignore lists are for the intolerant.

Not necessarily - ignore works great when people can't conduct themselves in a civilized manner. I have no issue with people disagreeing with any of my posts. When I do take umbrage at are people who are just plain rude or arguing for the sake of arguing. Some of these posts are the perfect example.

I have to tolerate enough BS in the real world, no need to deal with it here. Have a nice day!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:36 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Arizona summer is not great but you should have known that when you moved here. I moved to TN and the summers here are brutally hot and humid at least you do not have humidity. Every place has pros and cons man. I am not big on heat as well but you can go out early in the morning and late at night, beat the afternoon heat.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
You California bashers--I personally don't mind if they move here--I used to live there. They're great for our economy with all that house equity they come with. All I hope is that they don't vote extreme left of center, but no offense meant.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
You California bashers--I personally don't mind if they move here--I used to live there. They're great for our economy with all that house equity they come with. All I hope is that they don't vote extreme left of center, but no offense meant.
According to Fox News today, it seems Arizona is leaning blue. :-(

Old 07-09-2018, 02:07 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Arizona summer is not great but you should have known that when you moved here.
IMO, anyone thinking about moving here as a full-year resident should make at least a couple of week-long (or longer) visits during the summer. There are times when there's simply no "beating the heat", except by staying indoors or sitting in a pool. After enjoying a relatively benign June this year, on July 5th I opened the patio door first thing in the morning and was greeted with a blast of heat. The official overnight low at the airport was 94. We're usually a few degrees cooler in the morning (in Gilbert), but I honestly don't think we were much better on that day.

With all of that said, if a person is able to skip town for at least a couple months of the summer, I think Phoenix can be a pretty good choice. Moderate cost of living, lots and lots of events in town, and an easy day's drive to mountains/beach/Vegas/etc. Rush hour traffic in/out of downtown is crappy, but outside of that the traffic is fairly benign for such a large metro area. And no toll roads!

Last edited by hikernut; 07-09-2018 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 04:23 PM

132 posts, read 119,819 times
I just moved to San Diego from Phoenix. As I got older I really disliked the summers there, and they do seem to be getting hotter there with more concrete and asphalt everywhere.

So, I live is San Diego North County - said to have the most beautiful weather anywhere. Well, I HATE the fact that the sun goes down at 4:25 pm on December 21st, and I HATE going off of daylight savings time.

Also - it remains gray and foggy here throughout May and well in June every year. If you are used to sunshine this relentless cloudy overcast can cause a real case of medical-grade depression.

I can live with it - I just thought I should warn anyone thinking about moving from Phoenix to California that it is still a desert, but with a lot more spiders, fleas and dark nights where you end up going to bed at 9:00 pm because it just feels normal after 5 hours of darkness.

There are a lot of other issues I could address; taxes, opinionated and judgmental neighbors, the sloppiest dressers in the U.S. and more, but life is short. But based on the things you described, I think you will find things to love about AZ as soon as summer is over. Just say inside you house, car, mall, restaurant, etc. and think about what it was like before Carrier.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:24 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Arizona summer is not great but you should have known that when you moved here. I moved to TN and the summers here are brutally hot and humid at least you do not have humidity. Every place has pros and cons man. I am not big on heat as well but you can go out early in the morning and late at night, beat the afternoon heat.
Phoenix has dry heat but it feels like a blast furnace for someone coming from a wetter cooler climate

I lived in both Jackson, TN area and the Memphis, TN area so yes Tennessee has some nasty hot summers. I pretty much hid indoors during the summer until after dark while I lived there. I didn't find TN to be extremely humid--that honor goes to New Orleans. They call it the Big Easy but they ought to call it the Big Sticky or at least in the summer. I love humidity but New Orleans was a little much even for me.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
According to Fox News today, it seems Arizona is leaning blue. :-(
Yeah, maybe in central Phx and Tucson, haha.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motterpaul View Post
I just moved to San Diego from Phoenix. As I got older I really disliked the summers there, and they do seem to be getting hotter there with more concrete and asphalt everywhere.

So, I live is San Diego North County - said to have the most beautiful weather anywhere. Well, I HATE the fact that the sun goes down at 4:25 pm on December 21st, and I HATE going off of daylight savings time.

Also - it remains gray and foggy here throughout May and well in June every year. If you are used to sunshine this relentless cloudy overcast can cause a real case of medical-grade depression.

I can live with it - I just thought I should warn anyone thinking about moving from Phoenix to California that it is still a desert, but with a lot more spiders, fleas and dark nights where you end up going to bed at 9:00 pm because it just feels normal after 5 hours of darkness.

There are a lot of other issues I could address; taxes, opinionated and judgmental neighbors, the sloppiest dressers in the U.S. and more, but life is short. But based on the things you described, I think you will find things to love about AZ as soon as summer is over. Just say inside you house, car, mall, restaurant, etc. and think about what it was like before Carrier.
Hey guy, I remember those gloomy May and June days quite well. The part I disliked most was always waking up to cloudy skies, but by afternoon it would often become sunny.

I won't discuss my politically-oriented experiences there--bad memories.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:28 PM

97 posts, read 135,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
You poor millionaire. I'm playing the violin for you in my 500 sq foot studio apartment with a view of my building's dumpster.
I know I shouldn’t even post that I laughed. But omg this was hilarious. I couldn’t help it. To the OP I’m considering the move as well. I think many say the fist Summer is the most difficult. Oh and this past weekend it hit 115 in Orange County and the coastal breeze left California too! And just, you don’t have to deal with the limited water usage to 55 gallons a day that’s been signed into law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area