Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,840 times

Advertisements

I was tired of the traffic In California and the wacky politics so In December 2017 I sold my property for 1.4m and bought a dream McMansion in Scottsdale. It was the best decision I made in my entire life.. until the first summer hit. To be honest, if I would had known what I was getting myself into I wouldn’t had left California.

I’v driven through the San Fernando Valley and Inland Empire when it gets 98 degrees so I assumed “no big deal, Scottsdale will just be like that but slightly hotter” but boy was I wrong. There’s something different about the desert heat.

Also I miss the feeling of just knowing the beach is around the corner even if I wasn’t going to get in the water. Sure my big pool in Scottsdale is magnificent but I don’t get the coastal breeze or nice marine layer in the mornings to wake up to. Now I’m stuck here in my mountainless view house until my employee contract ends in 5 years.

I love Arizona the rest of the year though. I’ll just keep a positive attitude, blast the AC, and he get off ice cream. No hiking for me.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:33 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
We flew into Phoenix to visit for the first time in December 2007 and purchased a home that was to be built. We loved it here and the winter weather. We left two weeks later and then drove back to Phoenix in July 2008 once our home was complete. It was only the second time we had been to Phoenix with the first time being in December when we purchased the house. Was a whole different place.

I still remember driving across Hoover Dam and watching the temperature climb to over 110 degrees as we came up the hill into Arizona. Luckily we didn't hate it but it did take some getting used to. The military forced us here in 2008 but we stayed by choice after I retired from the military.

Don't give up yet.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:34 PM

200 posts, read 174,834 times
You poor millionaire. I'm playing the violin for you in my 500 sq foot studio apartment with a view of my building's dumpster.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I still remember driving across Hoover Dam and watching the temperature climb to over 110 degrees as we came up the hill into Arizona. Luckily we didn't hate it but it did take some getting used to. The military forced us here in 2008 but we stayed by choice after I retired from the military.

Don't give up yet.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! yes as I said, I’m going to have a positive perspective in life. I refuse to be like those miserable people on City Data who only complain about where they live. As I said, I don’t mind getting fat off icecream and going for a dip in my pool every weekend

Any other tips for how to get through intense heat waves? I hear a lot of people “escape” up to Flagstaff for the weekend.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:42 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
How do these folks make this kind off money while being, to say it nice, not all that sharp????
You drive to Phoenix, or fly. Look out the window, what do you see??????

Old 07-07-2018, 06:51 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
This is a common complaint of those who move to the Valley, many from the C.S.S.R.

I do wonder about your motive to start this thread. There's many like it, yet . . . .

Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 PM

277 posts, read 276,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA to AZ View Post
I was tired of the traffic In California and the wacky politics so In December 2017 I sold my property for 1.4m and bought a dream McMansion in Scottsdale. It was the best decision I made in my entire life.. until the first summer hit. To be honest, if I would had known what I was getting myself into I wouldn’t had left California.

I’v driven through the San Fernando Valley and Inland Empire when it gets 98 degrees so I assumed “no big deal, Scottsdale will just be like that but slightly hotter” but boy was I wrong. There’s something different about the desert heat.

Also I miss the feeling of just knowing the beach is around the corner even if I wasn’t going to get in the water. Sure my big pool in Scottsdale is magnificent but I don’t get the coastal breeze or nice marine layer in the mornings to wake up to. Now I’m stuck here in my mountainless view house until my employee contract ends in 5 years.

I love Arizona the rest of the year though. I’ll just keep a positive attitude, blast the AC, and he get off ice cream. No hiking for me.
...okay

For 1.4 million dollars you can have a great sprawling house with Mountain View’s, I don’t know how you got so rich because you must be stupid if you can’t manage to live like a king coming from Malibu

Old 07-07-2018, 07:02 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
This is a common complaint of those who move to the Valley, many from the C.S.S.R.

I do wonder about your motive to start this thread. There's many like it, yet . . . .
The complaints about the weather are much preferred to the complaints about our politics from those escaping California and then wanting to change AZ to mirror CA.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:11 PM

Okay, listen up buddy. I don’t feel “entitled” to living like a king in Arizona. I just feel like i should warm those in my situation who got a flawless perfect utopian view on Phoenix during a winter visit while not knowing the cons of summer heat.

As I said earlier, i’m going to be positive and live life to the fullest here in Arizona for the next four and a half years.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:16 PM

277 posts, read 276,207 times
Quote:

I still remember driving across Hoover Dam and watching the temperature climb to over 110 degrees as we came up the hill into Arizona.
If you were coming over Hoover damn it would be just as hot on the Nevada side as the Arizona side and actually it would be hotter at the damn then several hundred feet above the canyons

I honestly think people invent half these fantasies in their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area