Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 03:35 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
You sound like somebody who moved to chandler and hasn’t been anywhere around central phx in 15 years
Why would you say that? Big Cats said nothing about Central Phoenix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 03:54 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue38 View Post
I'm looking for people who have moved from Denver area to Phoenix area. How do you feel about the move now? Is it better or worse than living in Denver area, and why. What are some of the pros and cons. I'm aware of the weather differences, but would like to know more how you feel about daily life since moving to Phoenix area from Denver. Has it changed for the better, or would you move back if you had the chance.

I am considering a move soon from Denver to Phoenix. I've lived in Denver for 10 years. I have been to Phoenix several times. The move would be more of a financial one for me, as I am 47 year old divorced male struggling with high cost of living in Denver. I have a job offer in Phoenix. I've enjoyed Denver so it is a very tough decision for me. I would love to hear your experience.
While I didn't move from Denver, I visit quite often for work. I actually think it is not that hard to compare the 2.
Both locations are full of people that love the outdoors...hiking, mtn biking, camping, etc.

We may not have Red Rocks but we have quite a few music venues around the Valley.

We don't have a designated "16th St Mall" type area but several of the downtown have developed entertainment districts: Gilbert, Chandler, Scottsdale (Old Town), DT Phoenix has been experiencing a revival in the past few years with some kind of "Boulder-esque" type of cafes, coffee shops and services.

All the Major sports leagues: NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. We may have an MLS team soon (Phoenix Rising FC) but I haven't been following that transition too closely.

All the major amenities of a large city are available in both.

Weather wise? We don't get tornadoes or snow, they don't get dust storms of our magnitude. Heat in the summer goes without saying...

Less expensive CoL (for now) and historically we lean a bit right on the political scale. We'll see what this election cycle says about the political leanings of the droves of people moving here.

Personally I haven't noticed a difference between people's attitudes...there are too many people from all over the country to make a gross generalization that says Arizonans are "nice" or "polite"...I run into people daily that fall into neither of those categories.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:22 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
You sound like somebody who moved to chandler and hasn’t been anywhere around central phx in 15 years
This is not going to be pretty...

Old 07-13-2018, 05:00 AM

94 posts, read 84,697 times
I moved from Denver 5 years ago. There is good and bad in Phoenix like everywhere else. Here are my observations:

1. Almost everyone in Phoenix has a home alarm system - it took me a while to figure out why.
2. Lots and lots of burglary type crimes - car/home
3. Lots of dogs running around in neighborhoods - still don't understand why.
4. People in Phoenix are extremely friendly
5. You can walk your dog year round in Denver - not in Phoenix - my very small dogs get exhausted in Summer even though I walk them very early in the morning.
6. Phoenix has a great entrepreneurial environment. Lots of opportunity here to own your own business. I love supporting family businesses.
7. Drivers in Phoenix are horrible
8. Phoenix is spread out - lots of driving required to get to places. Nothing like going from Denver to Aurora.
9. Public transportation is lacking in Phoenix - definitely need a car in most ares. Traffic is horrible.
10. Lots of pit bulls in Phoenix
11. Phoenix is very dog friendly as far as being able to take your pet to various stores/events
12. Not a lot of Whole Foods stores - not sure why

Overall, I like Phoenix although still struggle during the summers. Denver seemed safer to me. Phoenix is a lot more urban than Denver which I dislike, but Phoenix is a decent place. I haven't noticed a huge decrease in COL although real estate is definitely more affordable. Not sure about renting. Also, there seem to be a LOT of homeless folks in AZ. Not sure what the statistics are, just my observation.

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:53 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,389 times
We moved from Monument to Avondale (West Valley) almost 3 years ago to be closer to our daughters in San Diego. As our home in Monument was at 7500 feet and in a pine forest, our experience may differ from someone moving from Denver.
Pros>
- I wear shorts year round. Sometimes I have to don a sweatshirt. We have donated most of our winter clothing.
- If you keep your car in a garage, you seldom need to wash it. In CO, our car would need washing every week due to rain, mud, snow, hail, or pollen. And there is no sand/mag chloride on the highways blasting the paint off your car. Our garage floor stays clean year round. No snow/mud falling out of the wheel wells after pulling in.
- You don't need a car with AWD or winter tires.
- We are much closer to amenities. We have dramatically decreased our mileage.
- Weather is pretty predictable here. Mostly sunny.
- The population is much more diverse, with a noticeably higher percentage of Latinos.
- There are much more options for Mexican and Asian foods.
- Real estate is generally cheaper
- Even if the summer heat bothers you, it does not restrict your movement like winter cold and snow does. You get into your car and blast your a/c, and go. No worries about your locks frozen, windows iced over, snow or ice on your driveway and roads.
- You can grow stuff here year round. Home Depot's outdoor area is open and stocked all year.
- I don't sense any of the native (born in wherever) attitudes that I saw in CO.
- We can drive to San Diego in 5.5 hours. About the same to Vegas.

Cons>
- Weather is pretty predictable here. There are a few events like dust storms or monsoon rains, but I kinda miss the frequently crazy weather that occurs in CO, especially along the Palmer Ridge.
- Seems like petty crime like vandalism and car break-ins are more frequent here.
- Like someone else said, there is nothing here to compare with the Rocky Mountains, especially in the Colorado Springs/Monument area.
- Most of the developments here are pretty boring> small lots, tile roofs, and beige stucco.
- Air conditioning is necessary, and expensive to operate and replace. Our summer energy bills are roughly the same as our CO winter bills.
- Maricopa County requires smog checks every 2 years on cars built after 1965. El Paso County (Colorado Springs) did not require smog. Limits choices for car projects or mods.

Overall, we are satisfied with our move to AZ. CO was great for us, and I think it's a great place to live. We try to look at the positives of anywhere we live and make the best of it . I think satisfaction has a lot to do with individual circumstances and attitudes, so I tried to keep my comments general. Good luck.

Good Luck

Old 07-13-2018, 07:01 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
I currently live in Denver and hate it. The so-called "natives" look down on anyone who wasn't born here because being randomly born somewhere is apparently quite an accomplishment and something to celebrate.

With the average home price being 540k in Denver, I could never afford to own here. I like Phoenix. I prefer the weather to winter and snow. Crime is almost identical. Phoenix is more diverse.

I'd make more in Phoenix and housing is 44.4% less. I might end up making this move in the future.
In Seattle, we don't blink an eye anymore at home prices. Its close to 800k for the average home price. The only people moving to Seattle are the homeless and tech workers. Those that work in the service industry serving the tech workers are all old timers who were here before Amazon moved in.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catosmato View Post
I moved from Denver 5 years ago. There is good and bad in Phoenix like everywhere else. Here are my observations:

1. Almost everyone in Phoenix has a home alarm system - it took me a while to figure out why.
We do not, neither do my 10 closest friends. A few have cameras on their front doors but that’s about it within my social circle.
3. Lots of dogs running around in neighborhoods - still don't understand why. In Tempe we have stray cats but have not seen a single stray dog in 4 years. I have seen stray dogs in Guadalupe.
5. You can walk your dog year round in Denver - not in Phoenix - my very small dogs get exhausted in Summer even though I walk them very early in the morning. I think this depends on the dog, ours goes year round but it’s early or at night in the summer and shorter, we see many neighbors doing the same regularly all summer long.
6. Phoenix has a great entrepreneurial environment. Lots of opportunity here to own your own business. I love supporting family businesses.
7. Drivers in Phoenix are horrible I’ve yet to go anywhere that doesn’t have terrible drivers.
8. Phoenix is spread out - lots of driving required to get to places. Nothing like going from Denver to Aurora.
I have always contended that driving long distances is based on a persons choices move to Queen Creek or East Mesa or Vistancia and yeah you’re driving a ton. Live in central
Phoenix and work nearby, you’re likely driving a lot less or very possibly not at all since public transit does serve downtown Phoenix to Tempe and Mesa.
9. Public transportation is lacking in Phoenix - definitely need a car in most ares. Traffic is horrible.
11. Phoenix is very dog friendly as far as being able to take your pet to various stores/events
12. Not a lot of Whole Foods stores - not sure why One reason is we have Trader Joe’s, a local company that many of us like better than Whole Foods. There are 9 Trader Joe’s and 5 Whole Foods with a 6 Whole Foods under construction in Tempe right now, that feels like enough...

Overall, I like Phoenix although still struggle during the summers. Denver seemed safer to me. Phoenix is a lot more urban than Denver which I dislike, but Phoenix is a decent place. I haven't noticed a huge decrease in COL although real estate is definitely more affordable. Not sure about renting. Also, there seem to be a LOT of homeless folks in AZ. Not sure what the statistics are, just my observation.

Good luck.

Since you asked so many questions figured I’d answer as a long term Phoenix resident.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
You know what they say about people who ASSume things, right?

Sad for you, bubba, but I work downtown, and spend almost 8 hours a day driving around central PHX visiting clients and customers.

Sucks to be wrong, huh? Put a sock in it.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:42 AM

277 posts, read 276,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catosmato View Post

3. Lots of dogs running around in neighborhoods - still don't understand why.
5. You can walk your dog year round in Denver - not in Phoenix - my very small dogs get exhausted in Summer even though I walk them very early in the morning.
7. Drivers in Phoenix are horrible
12. Not a lot of Whole Foods stores - not sure why

Good luck.
Lol are you in a very Hispanic neighborhood? I usually see stray cats in Phoenix not wild dogs

Old 07-13-2018, 08:44 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Lol are you in a very Hispanic neighborhood? I usually see stray cats in Phoenix not wild dogs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3EdhGjd8E0

Gotta watch your back in Maryvale, but now for Chihuahua gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area