Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Big cats, why don’t you move? You clearly don’t like it here
I loved it here enough to move, didn't I? And I don't exaggerate. I tell it like it is, using data to support my points. I shot you down with my evidence for our humidity/dew point. You shut up. I shot you down with our mosquito problem with evidence. You shut up. If you don't like being refuted with FACTS, I suggest you go back to your fantasy world. And I don't hate PHX. If there's one thing I hate, its our summers. They suck. Period.

I also loved Chicago, but hated the winters. Whats the difference? Now go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 AM

277 posts, read 276,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I loved it here enough to move, didn't I? And I don't exaggerate. I tell it like it is, using data to support my points. I shot you down with my evidence for our humidity/dew point. You shut up. I shot you down with our mosquito problem with evidence. You shut up. If you don't like being refuted with FACTS, I suggest you go back to your fantasy world. And I don't hate PHX. If there's one thing I hate, its our summers. They suck. Period.

You competed exaggerate about humidity and treat your preference for cooler temps like fact. With modern air conditioning living here feels the same every time of year besides the 13 seconds you spend walking to and from air conditioned areas and how much time you choose or sit in the pool

Old 07-20-2018, 10:12 AM

61 posts, read 48,264 times
Not really, you can feel the humidity inside even with Air Conditioning, it went up to 45% in our apartment when we had the storms, now it's back into the 30's.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:47 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
You competed exaggerate about humidity and treat your preference for cooler temps like fact. With modern air conditioning living here feels the same every time of year besides the 13 seconds you spend walking to and from air conditioned areas and how much time you choose or sit in the pool
There's no exaggeration, dude. In the mornings its been 60-70% humidity with 50-70 degree dew points. That's FACT. And those types of levels are what you find in subtropical places.

And while I prefer cool weather, so what? Its an opinion. Here's why I prefer cooler weather. Disagree all you want, but at least offer up a logical rebuttal this time. Fair?

1) you don't sweat - negating the need for multiple shower and wardrobe changes - saves our water

2) if you're cold, you add clothing and you're good. When its hot, what can you do if you're, say, hiking?

3) people are in better moods when its cool out - heat makes people irritable.

4) heat is cheaper than a/c

5) you don't need to run gas-sucking a/c in the car - saves you money

6) cars don't break down as much in the cool weather - extreme heat is very taxing on automobiles

I find it hilarious how people here say "heat is awesome", but then spend every waking minute during the summer trying to get... ummm... cold. Makes sense.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:14 AM

277 posts, read 276,422 times
Quote:
There's no exaggeration, dude. In the mornings its been 60-70% humidity with 50-70 degree dew points. That's FACT. And those types of levels are what you find in subtropical places.

And while I prefer cool weather, so what? Its an opinion. Here's why I prefer cooler weather. Disagree all you want, but at least offer up a logical rebuttal this time. Fair?

1) you don't sweat - negating the need for multiple shower and wardrobe changes - saves our water

2) if you're cold, you add clothing and you're good. When its hot, what can you do if you're, say, hiking?

3) people are in better moods when its cool out - heat makes people irritable.

4) heat is cheaper than a/c

5) you don't need to run gas-sucking a/c in the car - saves you money

6) cars don't break down as much in the cool weather - extreme heat is very taxing on automobiles

I find it hilarious how people here say "heat is awesome", but then spend every waking minute during the summer trying to get... ummm... cold. Makes sense.
In sub tropical places ALL THE TIME AND ALL DAY. Not in particularly wet mornings in particular times of year

As for the rest of your post it is nonsense liveing in cold climates and trying to keep warm is far more energy intensive and difficult that living in hot places, there is a reason why civilization began in arid flood plains just like Phoenix

Old 07-20-2018, 01:36 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
I think the thread should get back to topic...

Both cities are great, they both have their pros and cons going for them which make them unique in their own ways.

Phoenix:

pros

Predictable weather
Best interstate system in the US
Relatively cheaper cost of living (food, shelter, taxes) compared to other major metro areas
Abundance of restaurants and large variety
Diverse in different cultures. Western/southwestern AZ culture is unique, hope it doesn't change

cons:

Hot summers, not much greenery
Very sprawled, too dependent on driving
Not as many high paying jobs compared to similar large cities
Economy isn't diversified enough, too much emphasis on tourism and retirees
Utility costs are high during the summer

Denver

pros:

4 seasons
Diverse economy
Tons of outdoor activities (hiking, biking, fishing, camping, winter sports)
Rocky Mountains
Large craft beer industry

cons:

Cost of living is high and isn't stopping
Winter driving can be harsh at times, also weather is bi-polar
Infrastructure is out of date and can't keep up with population growth
Political landscape drifting too far left
Isolated from other large cities, have to drive long distance for something different

Anybody else want to add something I missed or need corrected feel free to do so.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I think the thread should get back to topic...

Both cities are great, they both have their pros and cons going for them which make them unique in their own ways.

Phoenix:

pros

Predictable weather
Best interstate system in the US
Relatively cheaper cost of living (food, shelter, taxes) compared to other major metro areas
Abundance of restaurants and large variety
Diverse in different cultures. Western/southwestern AZ culture is unique, hope it doesn't change

cons:

Hot summers, not much greenery
Very sprawled, too dependent on driving
Not as many high paying jobs compared to similar large cities
Economy isn't diversified enough, too much emphasis on tourism and retirees
Utility costs are high during the summer

Denver

pros:

4 seasons
Diverse economy
Tons of outdoor activities (hiking, biking, fishing, camping, winter sports)
Rocky Mountains
Large craft beer industry

cons:

Cost of living is high and isn't stopping
Winter driving can be harsh at times
Infrastructure is out of date and showing signs of deteriorating
Political landscape drifting too far left
Isolated from other large cities, have to drive long distance for something different

Anybody else want to add something I missed or need corrected feel free to do so.
The political landscape comment could be a pro or a con depending on the person. I think it'd be more helpful to leave your own opinion out of such a post that is intended to be informative. Otherwise, good points.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:47 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The political landscape comment could be a pro or a con depending on the person. I think it'd be more helpful to leave your own opinion out of such a post that is intended to be informative. Otherwise, good points.
I see it as the same for 4 seasons, not everyone considers that a pro especially if you can access 4 seasons within a relatively short drive fr home. All the benefit without as much of the downside.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:50 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:

I think it’s good to strike a balance with the facts, anyone who works with data or finance knows data can be manipulated to make all types of points. I think the general challenge here is the relative shortness of humid seasons and relative lack of mosquitoes versus quite a few other regions in the south.

I can find periods of time low humidity/Dew points in Louisiana and Mississippi too but that isn’t representative of the typical weather in those places.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
That's an excellent summary.

One thing I dislike about Denver area is the trend toward toll roads/lanes. They like to blame it on Tabor, but somehow Phoenix and Arizona provide transportation services with very similar tax rates (sales tax, property tax, income tax).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area