Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:56 PM

3,344 posts, read 2,285,478 times

Advertisements

They are used but they are surprisingly rare compared to other places. They really make a big difference with or without solar power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 09:56 PM

226 posts, read 226,928 times
Words of advice for you Arizona newbies:
Do NOT hike Camelback Mountain at 4pm when it's 116 degrees outside.
Also not a good idea to play with rattlesnakes.
Scorpions do not make good pets.
Remember, central Arizona is a desert. It is not a meadow, swamp or arctic tundra.
Prepare accordingly.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:06 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,588,849 times
This can make a big difference in customer comfort for those who make a trip to the supermarket in a hot summer day.

Fry's Signature Marketplace at Shea & Tatum has covered parking.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:20 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,939,056 times
As others have mentioned, the key here is to KNOW YOUR LIMITS. I've been defeated by Camelback on two occasions, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Both times I was beat were when the temps were 105+, and I felt the onset of heat exhaustion setting in. I parked my butt in some shade for 20 minutes, drank lots of water, turned around and headed back. There's nothing wrong with reaching your limit and quitting. The second time I had to call it quits I was probably only 200' from the summit on the Cholla Trail. No shame in my game about tucking tail and running. I'd rather live to hike another day.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:22 AM

7,130 posts, read 9,162,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
As others have mentioned, the key here is to KNOW YOUR LIMITS. I've been defeated by Camelback on two occasions, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Both times I was beat were when the temps were 105+, and I felt the onset of heat exhaustion setting in. I parked my butt in some shade for 20 minutes, drank lots of water, turned around and headed back. There's nothing wrong with reaching your limit and quitting. The second time I had to call it quits I was probably only 200' from the summit on the Cholla Trail. No shame in my game about tucking tail and running. I'd rather live to hike another day.
Me too. A few years ago on a hot summer afternoon I attempted the climb. My usual 20 oz bottle of water in my hip pocket. When it was down to about 1/3 left, the top was maybe 200-300 yds away, I turned back. Not worried about living or dying, but dehydration is not fun.

Side note: While the views from Camelback Mtn are great the climb reminds me of ants climbing an ant hill. Prefer the less traveled hills around here.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,939,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Me too. A few years ago on a hot summer afternoon I attempted the climb. My usual 20 oz bottle of water in my hip pocket. When it was down to about 1/3 left, the top was maybe 200-300 yds away, I turned back. Not worried about living or dying, but dehydration is not fun.

Side note: While the views from Camelback Mtn are great the climb reminds me of ants climbing an ant hill. Prefer the less traveled hills around here.
20 oz? That's all? I take 72 oz and have nearly finished it during those 2.5 hours!

I agree with you about the less-traveled mountains. I far prefer the McDowells. Once you get to the top of those, you can take the East End Trail back down the back side for some peace and quiet. I rarely encounter hikers (after you reach the East End Trail) during my 8 mile loop.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:55 AM

8,029 posts, read 12,217,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

When I was younger, my family and I hiked on a trail in the Superstitions (which made a good day trip) but we always went during the more decent times of year, such as late fall, winter, or early spring. Even then, we had to know our limits and always carry plenty of water. We never even gave it any thought about hiking during the hot months, but then I guess we just had basic common sense ... something that seems to be lacking these days.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:20 PM

296 posts, read 317,579 times
I hike during the summer but if I can't get out on the trail before 7 am, I don't bother. If I start at 6-7 I can usually be done by 10-11, so it usually won't be so hot. I'll see some people heading out as I'm getting back to the car and wonder how they can do it.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:30 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,629,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Heat sparks multiple mountain rescues around Phoenix area - Arizona's Family

More idiots hiking in the heat, becoming injured, dehydrated, or disoriented, and having to be rescued. Wasting tax money and wasting paramedics' time to save a bunch of bozos who caused their own problems, when the paramedics can & should be attending to REAL emergencies. My question is: why hike in the heat? In fact, what's the big thrill of hiking in the Phoenix area "mountains" when there are so many cooler, prettier, and less crowded hiking spots in northern & eastern AZ?!

Several years ago, I and many others called for a Stupid Hiker Law to be passed ... however, anymore I'm not so sure this would be very effective. What should be done instead is to simply put signs on the entrances to the hiking trails stating: SOCIAL DARWINISM BEGINS HERE, HIKE AT YOUR OWN RISK. There should be absolutely no rescues. If somebody is too inexperienced and ignorant to understand the risks, especially in these extreme temperatures, then too bad. Let the coyotes have them as a snack!
I studied population statistics in public health. One poster noted that many of those rescued are often from out-of-state - not local experienced hikers. They are at much higher risk. Even a "cool" day by local standards is often extremely hot for those from cooler regions. Hiking a rugged Phoenix mountain trail in the heat requires (1) experience, (2) legitimate physical training, (3) acclimatization, (4) familiarity with trails, (5) physically ideal state with plenty of water, (6) time of day, (7) proper speed of hike and (8) accurate assessment of personal limits. If any of those parameters are "off the mark" the risk elevates in the heat of summer even for an experienced hiker. For an out-of-state hiker usually multiple parameters are "off the mark" by default.

For me, my personal upper limit is about 95 F to 100 F depending on how I feel that day. I generally go up Piestewa Peak as fast as I can. Then I hike down slowly. For me, this is about 25-32 min in the summer ascent which I normally do in the morning. The best way to train for summer hikes is to start preparing in the winter and acclimatizing gradually over many months to the deep summer heat. Over time, the hiker becomes familiar with the trail, gains VO2 max, gets stronger hiking muscles, learns to avoid risk obstacles, assess speed, etc. Most hikers also have "strong" days and "weak" days of muscle strength or joint health. Some weekends I don't hike because my muscles and joints don't feel "ready".

Time of day is crucial for me in the summer. After many months of hiking in the winter interjected with 20k trail runs, half marathons, and 30ks, a summer hike is doable for me up until about late morning. I never hike in the afternoon in the summer. There are people who do when it gets above 105F, but that is too extreme for me.

So, I do hike in the summer but am ultra-experienced and can do a moderately intense sub 2-hour half marathon in the winter. By summer I am prepared for morning hikes but cap it at that. My regimen is to drink as much water at the start, wet my hair (which evaporates heat away) and stick to morning hikes. I go up for a speed proper for my physical state - which is generally about 25-30 min in middle age. Twenty years ago I could run up most of the way and get to the summit in 18 min - great for me but slow by Zuni/Navajo/Pueblo Indian standards. I am Native American.

Ironically, when I was living in in Colorado I was in much better shape from hiking up the 14ers in the state which usually have snow in the summer. Those trails are very difficult at high altitude and very low oxygen. But even though I was in better shape and far younger (late 1990s/early 2000s), I would not hike Piestewa Peak at temperatures above 80F when I returned for visits. As a guy living in Colorado I was not acclimatized to Phoenix heat, and I was well aware of it. So, I stayed off the Piestewa Peak above 80F even though I was an extreme Colorado mountain runner who could do Longs Peak in less than 3 hours from the Ranger Station via the Keyhole Route - Boulderites know how hard that is. But Phoenix summer heat should not be underestimated.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:35 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,901,562 times
great post man, you are 100% on target in everything you said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area