Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:26 PM

13,036 posts, read 7,160,756 times

Advertisements

Make sure you change the air filter lot of people in apartments neglect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 09:32 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,085,800 times
My update is that maintenance came by today (different guy than before) to fix a couple other things and I asked him about the A/C. He ended up on the roof, said it was something with the fan. He fixed it temporarily while he waits for parts.

I ended up turning it off for peak hours because it was staying at 88 and I figured what’s the point of it blowing for nothing. I took it down 5 degrees to 85 for now & we’ll see what happens. It is blowing cool air in the kitchen at least for sure.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:36 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,085,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I’m one of them. I’m selling the house I’ve owned for two years and I didn’t change that one either, so...my bad. I didn’t have problems with it though. In other apartments, I’ve never paid attention. Again, never had a problem regardless. Going to ask for a new filter in this apartment. Doesn’t look like it’s been changed recently.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:55 AM

What happens is the restricted airflow causes it to freeze up on days with high humidity like now during monsoon. Lot of people will remove the filter after it un-freezes then they run it again and clog up the coil with dust then they are frozen again. This might be why you see the temperate go up and down when you turn it off it melts the ice in the coil and works good again until it is frozen again.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:57 AM

13,514 posts, read 7,870,369 times
Quote:
I changed the air filters in my rentals last Feb. Doesn't matter if I give them the filters or not. I've got to verify it has been done or change it myself.

I will be returning to AZ in three weeks and will again go out and replace the filters. After I move to AZ next year I will do so ever three months.

In addition I plan to have my AC guy show me how to clean the split systems on the ground.

There are two properties with package units that were installed last year. I need to learn how to clean those too especially since I don`t think I can bring a hose to the roof.

I`m starting fresh. All my properties have a new AC system and I plan to make damn sure they are cleaned and maintained properly.

In the past I had two properties where I found the filter caked in dust. I`m surprised the AC still ran. Another property the renters removed the filter. They could get away with that sh-t because nobody was checking. I stacked the previous PM got a new company last Feb. (my seventh in twenty years of owning rentals in AZ and SF.) Will be taking over the homes next year.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I changed the air filters in my rentals last Feb. Doesn't matter if I give them the filters or not. I've got to verify it has been done or change it myself.

I will be returning to AZ in three weeks and will again go out and replace the filters. After I move to AZ next year I will do so ever three months.

In addition I plan to have my AC guy show me how to clean the split systems on the ground.

There are two properties with package units that were installed last year. I need to learn how to clean those too especially since I don`t think I can bring a hose to the roof.

I`m starting fresh. All my properties have a new AC system and I plan to make damn sure they are cleaned and maintained properly.

In the past I had two properties where I found the filter caked in dust. I`m surprised the AC still ran. Another property the renters removed the filter. They could get away with that sh-t because nobody was checking. I stacked the previous PM got a new company last Feb. (my seventh in twenty years of owning rentals in AZ and SF.) Will be taking over the homes next year.
Actually should change the filter every month during summer months May-September.

Also watch out for an property you might buy where someone up-sized the unit but never increased the filter box. I had that situation at home I used to live at. The filter box was sized for a much smaller 2 1/2 ton someone up-sized to a 3 1/2 ton unit it was restricting air flow. I had to install a new 20x30 filter box and duct work. Originally the filter box was like 15x20 I think can't remember but it was really small my AC would keep freezing over during monsoon.

I use take a hose up on my roof use an extra 50 feet no problem doing that.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Actually should change the filter every month during summer months May-September.

Also watch out for an property you might buy where someone up-sized the unit but never increased the filter box. I had that situation at home I used to live at. The filter box was sized for a much smaller 2 1/2 ton someone up-sized to a 3 1/2 ton unit it was restricting air flow. I had to install a new 20x30 filter box and duct work. Originally the filter box was like 15x20 I think can't remember but it was really small my AC would keep freezing over during monsoon.

I use take a hose up on my roof use an extra 50 feet no problem doing that.
Will do. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:03 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,589,781 times
I'm a renter and I change my filters on the first of the month when I pay rent. The office gives them to us for free. They also recommend if you have dogs and/or cats, that you change filters every two weeks. I have two cats but so far once a month seems to be working fine. In the winter/fall when I don't use the unit that often, I change the filter every other month instead.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I'm a renter and I change my filters on the first of the month when I pay rent. The office gives them to us for free. They also recommend if you have dogs and/or cats, that you change filters every two weeks. I have two cats but so far once a month seems to be working fine. In the winter/fall when I don't use the unit that often, I change the filter every other month instead.
Unfortunately, I cannot depend on renters to do so even when if I leave filters for them.

I need to personally inspect the filter is new or change it myself.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:11 PM

7,320 posts, read 12,276,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot depend on renters to do so even when if I leave filters for them.

I need to personally inspect the filter is new or change it myself.
Also, they may use filters with the wrong MERV rating. We had a renter that I think used MERV 12 filters in a system designed for MERV 6-8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area