U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 AM
 
Location: KY
285 posts, read 574,483 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

Kevin I wondered the same thing. Maybe fakes are used???

 
Old 04-01-2008, 01:31 AM
 
77 posts, read 183,309 times
Reputation: 40
Kevin, it is a law that when driving you have to have a Driver's License in your possession. However, there is absolutely no law in Arizona (or anywhere in the US) that says you have to have ID on you any time you walk down the street, thank goodness. That was the case in the USSR, but not here. Now, having an ID is helpful in a lot of situations, and you're right that if you've been arrested and don't have ID on you then the police can't let you go until they confirm who you are, but it is NOT a legal offense you'd be prosecuted for, not even a misdomeanor.

That said, a driver's license or AZID does not yet proove legal residency in itself. It is now against the law for illegal immigrants to obtain a driver's license, but it hasn't always been, and when you consider that 60% of the people here illegally came here on visas that they allowed to expire later, you can see that someone could get a driver's license as a legal resident, and after their visa expires they'd become an illegal resident with a perfectly valid license.
 
Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 AM
 
Location: Surprise, Arizona
88 posts, read 196,323 times
Reputation: 45
Default I think it's more behaviour profiling than racial profiling

I remember a few months ago I got pulled over in Surprise, (I'm an excellent driver especially when I know a cop is behind me.) As I moved to scratch an insatiable itch on my back side, the wheel jerked on slightly..seconds later the bubble gums came on..and I was checked out by a Hispanic cop (young and enthusiastic) Once he saw I was sober as a judge, and after checking me for wants and warrants he let me go, and I was on my way. Did I play the race card? No because he was just doing his job, and playing a hunch. I feel this racial profiling crap is just another way of trying to get the public to defocus on the core issue...Illegal immigration, and its connection to gang activity, drugs, violence, car thefts, human smuggling, and the impact on our economy. Believe it or not I am sort of down the middle on this issue, because I know a lot of good Hispanics who work hard and want to make a better living for their families. They are great folks and people you can trust, and some are my dearest friends, but along with the good comes a flow of bad, who infiltrate our society with corrupt morals, and hatred. And the sad thing about it is, we cant separate the good from the bad, because Mexico is so corrupt, there is no way of identifying the criminals from the innocent, because for a few bucks the authorities conveniently lose any record that may be available. But try getting a work Visa in Mexico, without an Arizona DL, Birth Certificate, Police records, and the bond money to secure your bail should you violate any laws. I'm telling ya..it ain't happening. I wish I had the answers, I know there is no political solution, in this system of things, but at least Joe Arpaio is trying, while other agencies do squat, and cry about the paperwork involved with the deportation process. Of course with such a weak border, they probably feel the work is pretty fruitless, since most involved in drug felonies simply use ICE to get a free ride home to bring another backpack full of weed, coke, and now tweak, in the states. Of course I'm just talking small timers here, but you get the picture. I'm not saying racial profiling doesn't exist, between all races, in some form, but don't you think its a pretty lame excuse for saying the Sheriff shouldn't be doing his job? I think that rates right up there with not allowing the CIA to tap into to cell phone calls of known Al-Queda cells. LETS GET A CLUE PEOPLE..OUR BORDERS IN ARIZONA ARE INSECURE AND WIDE OPEN- WE ARE AT WAR WITH TERRORISM-CRIME-GANGS AND DRUGS - and people like our beloved Phoenix Mayor are whining about racial profiling and civil right violations to people who aren't even protected under our constitution, because they are not lawful citizens.
 
Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 AM
 
Location: Surprise, Arizona
88 posts, read 196,323 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus View Post
Kevin, it is a law that when driving you have to have a Driver's License in your possession. However, there is absolutely no law in Arizona (or anywhere in the US) that says you have to have ID on you any time you walk down the street, thank goodness. That was the case in the USSR, but not here. Now, having an ID is helpful in a lot of situations, and you're right that if you've been arrested and don't have ID on you then the police can't let you go until they confirm who you are, but it is NOT a legal offense you'd be prosecuted for, not even a misdomeanor.

That said, a driver's license or AZID does not yet proove legal residency in itself. It is now against the law for illegal immigrants to obtain a driver's license, but it hasn't always been, and when you consider that 60% of the people here illegally came here on visas that they allowed to expire later, you can see that someone could get a driver's license as a legal resident, and after their visa expires they'd become an illegal resident with a perfectly valid license.
Wow that does explain how so many Illegal Immigrants obtian DL's thanks for the information..I need to double check with the AZID thing though..One of my friends (non_Hispanic) was picked up and did a night in jail because he didnt have a an AZDL or AZ ID the cop told him it was a misdemeanor for an adult to not have a valid form of ID...perhaps they were just screwing with him..
 
Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 AM
 
77 posts, read 183,309 times
Reputation: 40
Hey Kevin, you may be right about behavior profiling, I'm honestly only aware of what I read so I don't have much experience to draw on, just what the protestors seem to be claiming.

That said, I hear what you're saying, but we definitely have a different view of the world in general. I'd agree we definitely need to solve the illegal immigration problem, and the border needs to be secured of course. But I worry that when we start thinking in "war" terms about any of the issues you mention, it clouds our minds and we start acting on emotion and fear, rather than reason and respect for the rights and dignity that all humans are endowed with by their creator regardless of documentation. I believe it's not the constitution which gives rights, but God who gives rights: the constiution just explains that the government can't take our rights away no matter how many 'wars' we are in.

To me, it seems like world history is full of migrating populations and the best you can do is help them adapt to your culture, values, and language. If we choose to antagonize groups and act like we're at war instead of work out a rational solution, then I'm worried Phoenix is on the path to looking like Paris did after the riots in 2005. But I'll leave the debate at that I guess . . .

Last edited by Climacus; 04-01-2008 at 02:52 AM..
 
Old 04-01-2008, 02:48 AM
 
77 posts, read 183,309 times
Reputation: 40
It isn't a misdemeanor from my search (you can check Arizona Revised Statutes), but from what I've heard it is the case that the police can keep you in jail 24 hours if you don't have ID, since as a practical matter they need time to verify you are who you claim to be and don't have any outstanding warrants.
 
Old 04-03-2008, 12:31 AM
 
Location: GLENDALE
1 posts, read 1,251 times
Reputation: 10
I Have One Question- Are You White? Is That Why You Said You Felt Like You Were Going To Get Shot? Dont You Think That They Feel That Way Knowing They Are In Our Country? Dont You Think To Profile Everyone As The Same Or Bad Is Wrong? Do You Like Mexican Food? Ever Had One Do Your Lawn? Maybe Got Chili Peppers Some Where Hanging In Your Kitchen? Sheriff Joe Is A Fat, Self- Centered, Money Laundering Pig! That To Be Honest Is A Under Statement. Yes Their Are Millions Here Illegally But For A Second Imagine Something With Me - Imagine Living In A Country Where Everything Costs What It Does Here, Rent, Food, Clothes Etc. Now, Imagine Working 40 To 50 Hours Of A Hard Labor Job And Only Recieve $100 A Week For You And Your Family And Remember Most Of Them Have 3 Children Or More. Sure You Would Want Better For Your Family Right? Now Coming To The United States Costs Oh Probably With Lawyer Fee's Your Green Card, Other Visas Or Work Permits Costs Over $5000 Per Person, How Impossible Is That To Save Up For In The Mean Time Of Supporting A Family Off Of Making Only $100 A Week? Does That Seem Reasonable Or Fair? Have You Ever Been To Rocky Point? Beautiful Place, And You Know What Millions Of Us Go Every Year And They Dont Charge A Dollar For Us To Go There, They Are A Poor Country, We Are One Of The Richest So Why Do They Let Us In Free And We Make Them Pay? Doesnt Really Add Up. You Know I Have Many Illegal Friends And They Are By Far Some Of The Most Devoted, Hard Working, Loyal People I Have Ever Met In My Life. I Wouldnt Trade Them For The World And I May Not Be Able To Keep Them From Getting Kicked Out Of The Country But I Can Educate People From Being Naive And Telling Them A Little Bit About It So They Know And I Hope Thats What Ive Done. You Know There Are Just As Many Bad White People As There Are Mexican Ones, You Cant Think That Way. All The Notorious Killers In The World Are White- Charles Manson, Scott Peterson Etc, Etc. Mexicans For The Most Part Mind Their Own Buisness And Do What They Have To , To Be Able To Support Their Families- Now If Your Hubcaps Are Missing, It Probably Was A Mexican But Worring About One Of Them Blowing Up An Airplane You Got It All Wrong!!
 
Old 04-03-2008, 01:47 AM
 
Location: Surprise, Arizona
88 posts, read 196,323 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERASCHROME View Post
I Have One Question- Are You White? Is That Why You Said You Felt Like You Were Going To Get Shot? Dont You Think That They Feel That Way Knowing They Are In Our Country? Dont You Think To Profile Everyone As The Same Or Bad Is Wrong? Do You Like Mexican Food? Ever Had One Do Your Lawn? Maybe Got Chili Peppers Some Where Hanging In Your Kitchen? Sheriff Joe Is A Fat, Self- Centered, Money Laundering Pig! That To Be Honest Is A Under Statement. Yes Their Are Millions Here Illegally But For A Second Imagine Something With Me - Imagine Living In A Country Where Everything Costs What It Does Here, Rent, Food, Clothes Etc. Now, Imagine Working 40 To 50 Hours Of A Hard Labor Job And Only Recieve $100 A Week For You And Your Family And Remember Most Of Them Have 3 Children Or More. Sure You Would Want Better For Your Family Right? Now Coming To The United States Costs Oh Probably With Lawyer Fee's Your Green Card, Other Visas Or Work Permits Costs Over $5000 Per Person, How Impossible Is That To Save Up For In The Mean Time Of Supporting A Family Off Of Making Only $100 A Week? Does That Seem Reasonable Or Fair? Have You Ever Been To Rocky Point? Beautiful Place, And You Know What Millions Of Us Go Every Year And They Dont Charge A Dollar For Us To Go There, They Are A Poor Country, We Are One Of The Richest So Why Do They Let Us In Free And We Make Them Pay? Doesnt Really Add Up. You Know I Have Many Illegal Friends And They Are By Far Some Of The Most Devoted, Hard Working, Loyal People I Have Ever Met In My Life. I Wouldnt Trade Them For The World And I May Not Be Able To Keep Them From Getting Kicked Out Of The Country But I Can Educate People From Being Naive And Telling Them A Little Bit About It So They Know And I Hope Thats What Ive Done. You Know There Are Just As Many Bad White People As There Are Mexican Ones, You Cant Think That Way. All The Notorious Killers In The World Are White- Charles Manson, Scott Peterson Etc, Etc. Mexicans For The Most Part Mind Their Own Buisness And Do What They Have To , To Be Able To Support Their Families-(you

Now If Your Hubcaps Are Missing, It Probably Was A Mexican But Worring About One Of Them Blowing Up An Airplane You Got It All Wrong!!


GO TO Maricopa County Sheriff's Office check the Mugshots in alphabetical order, the facts may beg to differ with your statement concerning innocence. You may have to worry about a lot more than your hubcaps, after reading the profiles. If you do not think there is a direct connection with Hispanic gangs here, and Mexico concerning human smuggling, drugs & grand theft, you're in denial about that as well. GO JOE !
 
Old 04-03-2008, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Surprise, Arizona
88 posts, read 196,323 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus View Post
It isn't a misdemeanor from my search (you can check Arizona Revised Statutes), but from what I've heard it is the case that the police can keep you in jail 24 hours if you don't have ID, since as a practical matter they need time to verify you are who you claim to be and don't have any outstanding warrants.
You're correct..talked to a retired Phoenix cop, I was mis-informed. It is not a law violation to not have a state approved Id in your possesion.
 
Old 04-03-2008, 01:57 AM
 
Location: southern california
49,752 posts, read 46,833,795 times
Reputation: 40998
its never about the law breaker, its always about how the authorities handled it huh? friends, its not about how the police acted, its about why they came.
we all gota job, cops, law enforcement citizens, law obediance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top