Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 3,830 times

Advertisements

I saw these going on the other night, the news said the illegals were protesting sheriff joe? I drove by but felt like I would get shot so I left before I figured out what was going on.

I am confused as to what they were protesting exactly? I thought sheriff joe was accused of HIRING illegals but this was about rounding up illegals?

Can someone explain? Thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 05:37 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Isn't part of it (or all of it) about racial profiling? They are mad about Sheriff Joe stopping anyone who looks illegal and pulling them over for anything they can.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:43 PM

219 posts, read 764,099 times
Big Bad Sheriff Joe, He well be the only Man in America trying to make a difference about illegal immigration. How dare He.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 3,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Isn't part of it (or all of it) about racial profiling? They are mad about Sheriff Joe stopping anyone who looks illegal and pulling them over for anything they can.
IMO If you are illegal you deserve to be deported.

At the same time if I was NOT illegal, but appeared to be, and was stopped, sure I would be pissed, but I would be happy to know that our state is trying to deport illegals.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM

73 posts, read 254,550 times
No you wouldn't be happy to be pulled over as part of racial profiling--you'd be outraged. You have a law officer who has total disregard for constitutional rights. This crooked racist sheriff of yours should have been put in jail long ago.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTalk View Post
No you wouldn't be happy to be pulled over as part of racial profiling--you'd be outraged. You have a law officer who has total disregard for constitutional rights. This crooked racist sheriff of yours should have been put in jail long ago.
For the record:

30 years the 'man' loooved to profile young White guys with beards and long hair.

Trust me; I got stopped several times and was resentful.

Fast forward to today and I now understand why so many 'long hairs' back in the day were investigated.

BTW: I am a Wash DC native......left there, yes, 30 years ago

Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 PM

88 posts, read 308,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTalk View Post

If your in this country illegally ..you shouldnt have any constitutional rights. Persoanlly the cops can pull me over anytime they want and check me out. Of course if I was transporting illegals, drugs, or guns to gang members, Id play the race and constitution cards to if it meant getting out of a sticky situation.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 PM

77 posts, read 298,414 times
The protesters aren't necessarily all "illegals". Many of them are citizens and legal immigrants, who are concerned that in the push to deport illegal aliens, citizens and legal immigrants are being racially profiled and harrassed by constantly being forced to prove they are here legally. I don't keep my birth certificate or passport in my car, so I'd rather not be pulled over and "checked out" anytime an officer feels like it.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:40 PM

285 posts, read 901,902 times
If folks are upset with "profiling" get mad at the people who are here illegally. They are the ones that are the reason anyone looking hispanic makes you a target for search. I have friends who are Italian and hispanics think they are hispanic. I bet if they got stopped they wouldn't get upset.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 PM

88 posts, read 308,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus View Post
The protesters aren't necessarily all "illegals". Many of them are citizens and legal immigrants, who are concerned that in the push to deport illegal aliens, citizens and legal immigrants are being racially profiled and harrassed by constantly being forced to prove they are here legally. I don't keep my birth certificate or passport in my car, so I'd rather not be pulled over and "checked out" anytime an officer feels like it.
I know there is an Arizona law that states all Arizona citizens need to have either an Arizona Drivers License or Arizona ID isued by MVD in their posession. If you do not have a Valid form of ID the police have the right to take you in and check you out, so they can proove you are who you say you are. It is a misdemeanor violation to not have this type of ID in your possesion. Given the times we live in I see nothing wrong with this law. Doesnt carrying this I.D. proove citizenship, since you need a birth certificate, along with several other pieces of vertifiable ID to obtain it? It may be my own ignorance, but isnt it against the law for Illegal Immigrants to posess a valid Arizona Drivers License? Could somebody clarify that for me? The reason why Im asking is, I saw on the news where one Illegal immigrant was being deported and her husband said she had an Arizona Drivers License for 12 years. Is that legally possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area