Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 12:52 PM

2,772 posts, read 5,722,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Agreed. It's a cheap DIY kit. Here is a house worth saving. https://realestate.savingplaces.org/...frank-furness/ Or maybe this one https://realestate.savingplaces.org/...an-romanesque/ Not some POS DIY kit house.

It's not even the nicest Sears kit.

If you click on the first pick in this list (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...oenix,_Arizona) you can see some beautiful places worthy of their status. There are also a number of craptastic buildings that are total head-scratchers.

I believe the owner of the building in questions has a plan: let the giant tree in front and mother nature take care of the issue for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 01:42 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
I'm not privy to this word, McMansion.

I googled for definition... and it seems to be a pejorative.

Yup, it is. Large square feet, often on a small lot considering the size of the house, and often built to minimum standards with a few cosmetic upgrades to make it look flashy.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:39 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Yup, it is. Large square feet, often on a small lot considering the size of the house, and often built to minimum standards with a few cosmetic upgrades to make it look flashy.
Here is how I define it.

"Miller analyzed (hundreds of articles) each instance to try to understand how it was being used, and found that the term McMansion tended to fall into one of four general meanings: a large house, a relatively large house, a home with bad architecture or design, or a symbol for other issues, especially sprawl and consumerism. Most often, McMansion simply referred to a large house. source https://www.citylab.com/equity/2012/...anything/1813/

I think it took on a negative connotation of "cheaply built" after people didn't appreciate the sprawl and consumerism. In other words, "McMansions" often have travertine (real stone), hard wood floors, natural stone counter tops, raised panel hardwood doors etc. But because people wanted to feel good about taking jabs at others, they attached it to striped homes that are larger.

Other than a small subset of homes built over the past 60 years, most use cheap materials. Let's pick on the 50's - 70's. Often they use crappy windows, 2x4 construction, poor insulation, vinyl flooring, ugly ceramic etc. AND they were small shoe boxes with a terrible layout. Hence, I live in a McMansion (10,000 square lot; faux stone, taller white doors, ceramic floors, engineered flooring, factory built cupboards, etc). But I paid $52 a square foot. Now I super charged it. I happen to like my space. YMMV.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Sure, most houses are built to a pretty low standard... good enough to make the inspectors sign off. McMansion is just a bigger version of this.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:50 PM

136 posts, read 140,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Agreed. It's a cheap DIY kit. Here is a house worth saving. https://realestate.savingplaces.org/...frank-furness/ Or maybe this one https://realestate.savingplaces.org/...an-romanesque/ Not some POS DIY kit house.

Just because something is DIY does note make it POS, not at all. Had it not been built properly or to standard it would have fallen apart years ago. The materials were of good quality as testament to being 100 years old. The Sears homes in many cases were bought as a kit because everything was there including plans and and lumber was already cut to size (saving build time as well as labor) . It was less expensive than custom/traditional built at the time (there were no subdivisions like today) , the kits were not cheap but did save approx 25% of cost over traditional . Many buyers paid to have professional tradesmen do the actual build and Sears recommended doing so in their sales literature. And although Sears sold 1000s of kits before they stopped in 1942 (WW2) good examples that are over 100 years old are becoming fewer. Throughout Southern Cal there are a lot of existing Craftmans', relatively speaking, and you would have a hard time identifying a Sears kit over a traditional build, even if right next door to each other. Not many around Az so it should be kept as a example and the National Registry agreed enough to designate the house as such.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM

136 posts, read 140,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Not everything is worth saving. Given that it's a house built elsewhere and sent here,

Only the prercut lumber and materials were sent, it came as a kit sold by Sears, but had not been previously built. All new materials.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:21 PM

2,772 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55182 View Post
Not many around Az so it should be kept as a example and the National Registry agreed enough to designate the house as such.

Just because the National Registry adds it, doesn't make it important, it's kind of a chicken/egg thing. Especially since there is no funding or guidance as to the level of upkeep. If you scroll through the pictures I linked to earlier, there are some absolute dumps (some beautiful properties too) designated to have historical significance when they actually have very little.

If it's just the house that needs to be preserved, then the owner should be allowed to move it off to a corner. As it stands now, it doesn't face the street it's listed on, it's not even on the street named after the person it's supposed to commemorate and it's pretty rundown surrounded by a chain link fence (I'm not sure if the chain link fence has historical significance ).

If it's supposed to be preserving history, it's not showing much of a history to preserve.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55182 View Post
Just because something is DIY does note make it POS, not at all. Had it not been built properly or to standard it would have fallen apart years ago. The materials were of good quality as testament to being 100 years old. The Sears homes in many cases were bought as a kit because everything was there including plans and and lumber was already cut to size (saving build time as well as labor) . It was less expensive than custom/traditional built at the time (there were no subdivisions like today) , the kits were not cheap but did save approx 25% of cost over traditional . Many buyers paid to have professional tradesmen do the actual build and Sears recommended doing so in their sales literature. And although Sears sold 1000s of kits before they stopped in 1942 (WW2) good examples that are over 100 years old are becoming fewer. Throughout Southern Cal there are a lot of existing Craftmans', relatively speaking, and you would have a hard time identifying a Sears kit over a traditional build, even if right next door to each other. Not many around Az so it should be kept as a example and the National Registry agreed enough to designate the house as such.
Fair enough. POS was too strong of a word. The house is nothing special and IMHO, not worthy of calling it a historical architecture.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Sure, most houses are built to a pretty low standard... good enough to make the inspectors sign off. McMansion is just a bigger version of this.
To clarify (per my link above), often "McMansions" have much better materials and construction as compared to the overwhelming majority of 1950-1980 homes built. In other examples, they are just bigger versions. Plus, nearly always (but not 100% of the time), bigger homes spend more money on the interior. Better HVAC, appliances, thicker walls, better __________. There are exceptions (i.e. simply a bigger version). The exceptions are when people buy a bigger box to make sure they buy for expansion with a bigger family. My 2nd home in MN (lived there for 21 years) was such a beast. 4,000 square foot without air, inexpensive ceramic etc. Though the years, we super charged everything. We ended up having a lot of top end jewelry (floors, fire place, pool, landscaping, appliances, etc etc etc. We easily put in more money later into the home than the initial finished shell. Plenty of people do that. Of course, not often in PHX because people are migrant. A guess PHX is a perfect spot for UHaul corporate (they keep those trucks busy in PHX). lol

The bottom line is 90% plus homes from 1950-1980 have far worse caliber materials. Putting it another way, great caliber homes (large or small) are few and far between.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 08-17-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-19-2018, 03:48 PM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
The owner should be able to do what he wants with his own land I could understand if it was a house build by someone who was historically famous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area