Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 08:04 PM

19,374 posts, read 27,616,159 times

Advertisements

For a variety of reasons, our 2 week visit will be a home in Gold Canyon. When we lived at Brown and Ellsworth, there was a lack of restaurants without going into West Mesa, Gilbert, and a few scattered around Superstition Springs. And nothing at all tasty in Gold Canyon.

Should we plan on those long rides to those distant areas? If so, anything new that we should look for? We prefer ethnic or a decent sit down with reasonable wine list. The

Happy Hour is our favorite - and illegal in NC, which is one of the few things I hate about living here.

And, hope against hope, has anything opened in Gold Canyon that's worth a visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 09:52 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,684,275 times
I think you should plan on the drive west. Welcome back...for two weeks!

Old 08-13-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I think you should plan on the drive west. Welcome back...for two weeks!
Thanks, and that's what I figured. 😖 Any specific suggestions? Take out is easily an option.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:51 AM

3,939 posts, read 6,684,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thanks, and that's what I figured. 😖 Any specific suggestions? Take out is easily an option.
What do you like? Downtown Gilbert has a nice variety of casual places to eat. You're never far from take out, though.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:30 AM

61 posts, read 47,854 times
Superstition springs area has some OK places, mostly chains.

Mikey's in Apache Junction is a small diner that has good food.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:58 PM

200 posts, read 410,027 times
For Mexican...try Xavier's Casa Reynosa. It's on higley and southern, N.W. Corner in a strip center.
Family owned and the started in the globe area. Now they have several restaurants in some of the smaller towns also.... Same family owners, but the are all named different. Read their menu for info

Old 08-14-2018, 05:05 PM

107 posts, read 199,285 times
To meet all of your criteria, you'll probably have to venture into Mesa at least, but not all the way to west Mesa.

For lunch, try The Meat Slicer deli in AJ. I think their big sandwich has 14 ounces of fresh sliced meat and the bread is incredible.

For dinner in GC, De La Cruz Mexican serves alcohol; can't comment on the wine selection, but they have some pretty killer margaritas.
We've become big fans of Alessia's Ristorante Italiano on Brown near Higley in Mesa, and they have a great wine selection. Plan on a longer dinner, because they make everything (even the sauce) from scratch after you order it. I've also read of another Italian place at Power and Baseline, but haven't tried them yet. Sam & Luca's Kitchen, I think it is.

I'll add to my list when my SO comments; she's a wine drinker.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:20 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,556,094 times
If Mesa is within reach, Worth Takeaway for an awesome sandwich. Even better, if you take it down the street to Cider Corps.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:37 PM

186 posts, read 193,218 times
Board and Batten is newer and I haven’t been there myself, but many rave about it. Kind of a strange location ( I think it used to be a special events place). I’ll give a second thumbs up to Alessia’s, but Vito’s a little further west has great pizza and good entrees. Also newly opened is Osteria. Casual, wood oven pizza, dinner entree du jour, decent wine. Get the grilled octopus appetizer and thank me later. I also like Bogey’s up in LasSendas. Decent food, killer view, musician on the patio. If you don’t mind going south on the 202 for about 10 minutes, San Tan Viilage has every kind of cuisine you could want. If you like sashimi, Zushi Sushi near Nando’s at Power and McDowell is good. Their Chinese entrees are just mediocre.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:20 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! You've given me some excellent information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area