Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,142 times

Advertisements

So some good news, it looks like I might be moving back to the Phoenix metro for a job in Tempe. (Fingers crossed, I should be receiving an official offer around Labor Day). I lived for a short time in midtown Phoenix (near Central and Indian School) but at the time was working in the area so didn't have to worry about an actual commute. Now as I'm looking to move back, I was wondering how the traffic situation would line up to drive from the same general area (somewhere near my previous location possibly up toward Camelback/Bethany Home but not too far from the 51) to Tempe, near University and the 101 during regular business hours. I haven't ruled out looking at places in Tempe or Scottsdale, however i did enjoy living in Midtown/Central PHX area. Thanks in advance, I'm excited to be coming back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 12:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
It's a reverse commute mostly, so it might not be too bad. I'd just live in Tempe (or central to south Scottsdale, if that appeals to you), but it would work. I just don't see spending more time in the car than you have to.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
If you haven’t lived here in a while I suggest checking out Roosevelt bewteeen 7th street and 3rd avenue there’s probably a dozen new 4-7 story complexes there plus two highrises currently under construction (The Link (40 stories) and The Stewart (20 or so stories). The first downtown grocery store is also under construction at 1st Street and Washington which should be opening next year. There’s also countless new restaurants, bars, and quite the array of new music venues all fairly walkable from the Roosevelt area. Uptown is sill nice but I’d much rather be downtown now and you’ve got a much easier path to the 10 with a straight shot to Tempe, 20 mins would be my estimate:

Old 08-23-2018, 09:51 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
The commute isn't bad. As already mentioned above it's a reverse commute.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:36 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
The morning drive probably wouldn't be bad, but coming back might.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:21 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The morning drive probably wouldn't be bad, but coming back might.
It's not too bad. I-10 is light but you do start encountering traffic once you're on Hwy 51. If it's too congested, I just get off at one of the exits and take surface streets the rest of the way.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:15 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
It's not too bad. I-10 is light but you do start encountering traffic once you're on Hwy 51. If it's too congested, I just get off at one of the exits and take surface streets the rest of the way.
I worked for 5 months doing a similar commute. The drive home SUCKED. Ended up taking surface streets to avoid the clogged freeway and it would take me an hour to get home. (Working 7:30-4) My hours changed to 6-2:30 and I was able to use HOV which made a huge difference.

So glad I don't have to do that anymore!

Old 08-25-2018, 06:35 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,078,730 times
I live near the 51 and Glendale Ave and commute to the 60 and Alma School. It takes me about 30-35 minutes on the worst days. It's the 51 that's the worst part but once you're past that going in it's clear sailing as you're going the opposite way of most traffic. Getting to Tempe from where I'm at would be 25 minutes tops, so not bad at all. Obviously would be even shorter the further south on the 51 you are.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:45 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I worked for 5 months doing a similar commute. The drive home SUCKED. Ended up taking surface streets to avoid the clogged freeway and it would take me an hour to get home. (Working 7:30-4) My hours changed to 6-2:30 and I was able to use HOV which made a huge difference.

So glad I don't have to do that anymore!
I usually work 10-6 so I avoid almost all of the traffic. It was the only way I'd take a job offer here, was flex time.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenvoice View Post
So some good news, it looks like I might be moving back to the Phoenix metro for a job in Tempe. (Fingers crossed, I should be receiving an official offer around Labor Day). I lived for a short time in midtown Phoenix (near Central and Indian School) but at the time was working in the area so didn't have to worry about an actual commute. Now as I'm looking to move back, I was wondering how the traffic situation would line up to drive from the same general area (somewhere near my previous location possibly up toward Camelback/Bethany Home but not too far from the 51) to Tempe, near University and the 101 during regular business hours. I haven't ruled out looking at places in Tempe or Scottsdale, however i did enjoy living in Midtown/Central PHX area. Thanks in advance, I'm excited to be coming back
I have a similar commute every day. In the mornings, south on the 51 would be the most congested part of your commute ... however, since you'd likely be going east on the 202, the traffic is a little lighter once you transfer from the mini stack. The afternoon & evening commute is much worse. West on the 202 can be backed up from the 143 to the 10/51 mini stack as early as 2:30, then north on the 51 is bumper to bumper. What I usually do is use surface streets in the evening commute. Perhaps exiting the 202 at either 44th, 40th, or 32nd Street and going north to Camelback might be a little better, but then you're stuck with the seemingly endless traffic lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area