Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 08:35 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times

Advertisements

There is still a huge stock of affordable housing in PA. Taxes are waay high, though. Quite a few things would be cheaper in Phoenix. Rent has gotten ahead of itself in most markets, and likely peaked. I moved back to the Valley in 2009, and even then, I couldn't afford to rent...so I bought a condo for 22,000 in NorthCentral, and a SFR for 18,500 in Midtown. Both would command 675+ in today's market....both 1 bedrooms..but the walled 7250 sf lot on the second one, would be a one of a kind, with many dog owning applicants....sold one to a couple from Cali, and the other to a Chinese guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 10:29 AM

566 posts, read 572,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Sounds like life is better all around.

Corngrats.

2 hour commute each way: life is too short.

Yep! 100% worth it.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:48 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEL123 View Post
We are thinking to relocate to Phoenix area, Gilbert is the exact location. Currently, we live in Philly. I would like some input and experiences in regards to salary or pay cut (percentage) that you received, doesn't matter where you from originally.
Why would you accept a pay cut? Is your work suddenly less valuable because you've moved?

Old 09-08-2018, 10:58 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
I will echo the sentiment that Phoenix is no longer as affordable as it was. Sure you can buy a <$200k home in Alhambra or some other area but those are NOT the desirable areas to live. People moving here are looking at Chandler, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Tempe, DT Phoenix, Arcadia, etc. The old "drive until you qualify" adage is dead, flippers are pulling out since they can't make the profit margins in Phoenix like they used to (heard this on KTAR yesterday). Heck, look at the Flagstaff/Prescott market. You can't TOUCH a home for less than $300k. Payson is going that way as well.

As far as the OP's question of taking a pay cut? I would not do that no matter what they said.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:02 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Phoenix isn't cheap anymore. Don't let those employers lie to you. Phoenix was the second highest city in the nation for percent increases in rent, only behind Queens NYC. Unless you have the cash for a real good down payment then I wouldn't even bother. Housing costs are outrageous here. I will give Phoenix a bone here and say groceries are ridiculously cheap compared to other places in the country I've visited, and it's due to the fact we probably have 20 or so different grocery store companies (unlike Florida, which has Walmart and Publix).

Part of me is hoping for another housing crash so maybe I can get something instead of renting for the rest of my life. Don't know where people expect me to pull 30k out of my butt for a one bedroom condo but I'm not ever going to have that. Housing is out of line with the pay here by miles. Not quite California level but, pretty bad.
Get an FHA loan. 3% is all you need for a down payment.

Even at that down payment, a mortgage can be cheaper than renting in many areas like Tempe or Phoenix.

It’s not ideal, but it’s what I would do.

To the OP, a starter home in any desirable part of town will run 290k+ and that number is still growing.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Opinions run strong on pay versus COL and the experience varies a lot from person to person, while costs in Phoenix have risen from the historical lows post 2008 recession pay and employment has as well. When all things are considered Phoenix continues to rank very well in cost to income rankings like the one here- https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ing/378150002/

Old 09-08-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Get an FHA loan. 3% is all you need for a down payment.

Even at that down payment, a mortgage can be cheaper than renting in many areas like Tempe or Phoenix.

It’s not ideal, but it’s what I would do.

To the OP, a starter home in any desirable part of town will run 290k+ and that number is still growing.
There are some first time homebuyers programs as well that will kick in (some of?) your downpayment as well.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:20 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
Electric must be expensive in Phoenix. I'm guessing a few hundred a month due to air conditioning

Old 09-08-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Electric must be expensive in Phoenix. I'm guessing a few hundred a month due to air conditioning
Correct.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:39 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
The AC doesn’t run year-round and a lot of us barely use any heat in the winter, in total our utility use here is lower than when we lived in the northeast where we had significant AC and heat use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area