Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 11:50 PM

31 posts, read 22,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Other posters and I have explained to you why the statistics aren’t as they suggest when you want to live in a desirable part of the metro. Ignore that and respond with silly jokes all you want. Come see for yourself since it sounds like you’ve never even been here.
No need for that, guy. Lived in Tempe in '01. I'm not going to continue to explain why facts and logic override your personal experiences and one-off scenarios. I bet I know your position on climate change, evolution, and other scientifically-proven occurrences though.

Class is in session, lil bud...

Forget average (mean) home prices. We're going to be discussing median home values instead so you'll have no excuses.

The median price in a particular neighborhood is generally regarded as the more useful of these two ways of looking at prices. That's because an average price can be significantly skewed by sales that are extremely high or extremely low.

Median value means we're practically eliminating "cheap houses way out in the boonies" from the sample size. The median home value in Phoenix is $232,700. Pretty damn affordable, right? No skewed data. No cherrypicking random listings. Just cold, hard facts. Your only objection is no longer valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 12:12 AM

9,189 posts, read 16,538,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop. View Post
No need for that, guy. Lived in Tempe in '01. I'm not going to continue to explain why facts and logic override your personal experiences and one-off scenarios. I bet I know your position on climate change, evolution, and other scientifically-proven occurrences though.

Class is in session, lil bud...

Forget average (mean) home prices. We're going to be discussing median home values instead so you'll have no excuses.

The median price in a particular neighborhood is generally regarded as the more useful of these two ways of looking at prices. That's because an average price can be significantly skewed by sales that are extremely high or extremely low.

Median value means we're practically eliminating "cheap houses way out in the boonies" from the sample size. The median home value in Phoenix is $232,700. Pretty damn affordable, right? No skewed data. No cherrypicking random listings. Just cold, hard facts. Your only objection is no longer valid.
I can’t wait to see what lovely place in a desirable area that you find for $232k. Best of luck. Your stats are meaningless. I live here, own property here and know that this isn’t the cheap paradise of years back that ignorant people think it is. An average income will no longer afford one an above average lifestyle here.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 09-09-2018 at 12:21 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I can’t wait to see what lovely place in a desirable area that you find for $232k. Best of luck. Your stats are meaningless. I live here, own property here and know that this isn’t the cheap paradise of years back that ingnorant people think it is. An average income will no longer afford one an above average quality of life here.
None of your personal experiences disprove anything I've said or support any claim you've made. This isn't how debate works. Prove me wrong with actual evidence. The floor is yours.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
None of your personal experiences disprove anything I've said or support any claim you've made. This isn't how debate works. Prove me wrong with actual evidence. The floor is yours.
Show me nice houses in a desirable area for your suggested median price. Good luck. Median absolutely does get impacted by all those cheap exurb houses. Clearly there are more of those than $million+ sales, so how will that not skew the median? Don’t worry trying to dance around it; it will. I know it does because that median price won’t get you much and if that’s the median, good luck finding anything for less. Don’t take my word for it. Have a look for yourself.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Show me nice houses in a desirable area for your suggested median price. Good luck. Median absolutely does get impacted by all those cheap exurb houses. Clearly there are more of those than $million+ sales, so how will that not skew the median? Don’t worry trying to dance around it; it will. I know it does because that median price won’t get you much and if that’s the median, good luck finding anything for less. Don’t take my word for it. Have a look for yourself.
I'm not much of a cherry picker myself. That's more your thing. Phoenix is affordable. The data proves it. And you're unable to prove otherwise.

Average annual income: $73,135
Median monthly rent: $1,296
Cost of annual necessities: $21,412

Helpful reading:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/us-c...of-living.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-the-most.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...s-to-live.html
https://patch.com/arizona/phoenix/he...est-big-cities
https://smartasset.com/mortgage/what...ing-in-phoenix

Do some research and come back with evidence to prove Phoenix is not affordable. Personal experiences and opinions prove nothing.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I'm not much of a cherry picker myself. That's more your thing. Phoenix is affordable. The data proves it. And you're unable to prove otherwise.

Average annual income: $73,135
Median monthly rent: $1,296
Cost of annual necessities: $21,412

Helpful reading:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/us-c...of-living.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-the-most.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...s-to-live.html
https://patch.com/arizona/phoenix/he...est-big-cities
https://smartasset.com/mortgage/what...ing-in-phoenix

Do some research and come back with evidence to prove Phoenix is not affordable. Personal experiences and opinions prove nothing.
Yawn. Click-bait articles don’t trump actual real estate listings. Again, have a look for yourself at what is ACTUALLY AVAILABLE PRESENTLY. You’re either in for a rude awakening or already realize that you’re wrong and simply enjoy arguing.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitn8v View Post
yawn. Click-bait articles don’t trump actual real estate listings. Again, have a look for yourself at what is actually available presently. You’re either in for a rude awakening or already realize that you’re wrong and simply enjoy arguing.
Present evidence to prove phoenix is not an affordable city.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Present evidence to prove phoenix is not an affordable city.
“Affordable” is subjective. There’s no way to prove that. For me, and plenty of others, it’s very affordable, as are many places. For those with average or below incomes, it won’t be so much. I don’t know why you’re so opposed to looking for yourself, but once you do, you’ll see that your suggested median price, won’t get one anything nice, anywhere nice, let alone the high life. You’re about five years too late for that.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:44 AM

29,775 posts, read 18,629,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Opinions run strong on pay versus COL and the experience varies a lot from person to person, while costs in Phoenix have risen from the historical lows post 2008 recession pay and employment has as well. When all things are considered Phoenix continues to rank very well in cost to income rankings like the one here- https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ing/378150002/
Yeah I had thought that Phoenix incomes were much lower based on my perception and what I had heard but most of the evidence shows that in Phoenix, the income averages are good for the costs.

Moving far from family is a big step, I would want to be sure I enjoyed the dry heat and culture of Phoenix as opposed to Philly before taking that step.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:00 AM

4,054 posts, read 5,066,268 times
So...if we take your $232k average on Zillow, and look for 3/2s in Maricopa County...you get West Valley (Glendale, South Mountain, etc.) and fringe East Valley (West Mesa). Nothing in the desirable areas (Best places to raise a family). Median home value...sure but there are going to be the low value homes (sub $200s in Alhambra, older Glendale, etc) and then everything above $250. Most of the new homes being built in the East Valley are "Starting in the mid-$300s" according to the signs...which means when all is said and done, you are in the $400s.

I understand that there needs to be a measuring stick when comparing affordability...but your experience in Tempe in '01 would be different now in 2018. It may change again in 2020...when a lot of professionals expect a decline in housing values again. Time will tell. Most of the time...I feel like all those reports put out touting the affordability of Phoenix Metro and the quality of life quotient espoused like the above article are engineered by our Chamber of Commerce and the Realtors Association to convince people to move here.

The fact of the matter is, the OP is asking if they should take a pay cut to move to the Phoenix Metro. As others from PA that have moved here have indicated...it is not much less expensive to live here than PA. Now that is going to take in a lot of factors...we have relatives living in rural PA that have a much bigger home than ours on 2.5 acres that is less expensive than our home in Chandler. Homes in Philadelphia would probably be much more expensive and carry a heavier tax burden...although a $5k difference in property taxes as noted before is really NOT that much in the greater scheme of things. Just wait...property taxes will be going up after November as the education funding in this state takes center stage and <whomever wins> will start looking for additional funding for the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area