U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:54 PM

1,673 posts, read 3,805,253 times

Advertisements

Been a long two years waiting - but looks like things will finally be moving ahead - BIG news for Casa Grande - combined with the move of the Nikola Plant from Buckeye to Coolidge last week, this area could really become a hub for these industries.

Saudi wealth fund is investing $1 billion in Lucid Motors, a Tesla rival
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,822,701 times
It doesn't say anything about CG.
I would love to see this happen, but is there enough qualified workers?

Old 09-17-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
It doesn't say anything about CG.
I would love to see this happen, but is there enough qualified workers?
Sorry - I thought most knew that CG was the announced factory location 2 years ago....just been waiting and waiting for the financing to get approved. Things have been occurring in the background by the city in anticipation - as a matter of fact a grant approval will happen tonight to assist with some of the roadway infrastructure for the project.

Yes - between the Lucid factory and the Nikola truck factory in nearby Coolidge ( https://www.pinalcentral.com/coolidg...87fc759a1.html ) workers will be an issue - but it is a good problem to have - between the 2 it should be 4K+ direct jobs and several thousand more indirect.

Likely new residents will follow the jobs here.

ETA - BTW the article DOES in fact mention CG as the location.

Last edited by sh9730; 09-17-2018 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 07:17 PM

4,030 posts, read 7,865,228 times
FYI the "Coolidge" location is actually closer to Eloy. They'd probably draw workers from Tucson or Phoenix.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
FYI the "Coolidge" location is actually closer to Eloy. They'd probably draw workers from Tucson or Phoenix.

True - there was a bit of "selective annexation" as I call it to get this land into Coolidge instead of Eloy - but it is technically in the City of Coolidge. Either way, it will have a significant impact on CG as well.

The same landowner owns both parcels for Lucid and Nikola.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 AM

6,719 posts, read 8,179,553 times
I'm happy to hear about the plants location and the surge of capital. It was interesting to read that Musk tripped on his you-know-what discussing taking Tesla private with the Saudi's. For such a smart guy, Musk is screwing up left and right. His ego is out of control. [mod cut] I don't blame the Saudi's from pulling out of the Tesla deal. Smart move!

Lucid (a great name) is going to need a lot of high powered talent in Casa Grande. IMHO, that's not going to be easy (relocation) sell. CG makes my winter town of Surprise, AZ look like a posh, world class destination.

Last edited by volosong; 09-18-2018 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: commentary about national political office-holders not appropriate to this thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:02 AM

694 posts, read 686,513 times
This morning in the Arizona Daily Star (Tucson)

Quote:
Casa Grande is a step closer to adding 2,000 new auto manufacturing jobs, after Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund invested more than $1 billion in Lucid Motors, a California-based electric-car startup.

Lucid says it will use the money to complete engineering development and testing of its first electric car, the Lucid Air, to construct its factory in Casa Grande, begin its North American retail rollout and begin production for the car.

Lucid Motors announced in 2016 it would build its factory in Casa Grande, but it was still seeking capital to construct the $700 million plant. (Continued)
https://tucson.com/business/casa-gra...4075eefbb.html

Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I'm happy to hear about the plants location and the surge of capital. It was interesting to read that Musk tripped on his you-know-what discussing taking Tesla private with the Saudi's. For such a smart guy, Musk is screwing up left and right. His ego is out of control. [mod cut] I don't blame the Saudi's from pulling out of the Tesla deal. Smart move!

Lucid (a great name) is going to need a lot of high powered talent in Casa Grande. IMHO, that's not going to be easy (relocation) sell. CG makes my winter town of Surprise, AZ look like a posh, world class destination.
Yes, it is great news. Just a quick note - while the announcement by Elon and the Saudi's, followed by the public announcement about Lucid made it SEEM like the two were related - in reality they were not directly. Lucid has been in talks with the Saudi's for months - long before anything Elon said came into play. In the background we knew this was going on - but of course not to blow it - kept it VERY quiet.

NOW, could the SAUDI's have started some preliminary discussions with Elon and then gone public in an attempt to extract a little bit more out of Lucid in the end - maybe.

Last edited by volosong; 09-18-2018 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 11:17 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,443,389 times
Quote:

Agreed on the talent issue, although there will be plenty of people who will live in Chandler or Ahwatukee and make the not so long commute into CG. You can bet that once people really get wind that this is really happening that homebuilders won't be too far behind in trying to meet some future demand for people that won't want the longer commutes. CG is affordable and there is plenty there to meet people's daily needs so that will be a draw.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I just re-read your post and got the slight dig at CG and reputation. Yes, CG is older than Surprise so there is some more "gritty" neighborhoods - just as there are in Chandler, Mesa, Goodyear, and others.

But there are also PLENTY of new neighborhoods and varying class levels including:

Villago - nice, originally Fulton Homes development where house go for about 225K or so on average. KHovnanian just purchased all 300 of the remaining lots here and sales are pretty hot...

LUCID MOTORS Factory In Casa Grande To Finally Become a Reality-villago.jpg, LUCID MOTORS Factory In Casa Grande To Finally Become a Reality-villago-lake.jpg

Coyote Ranch - average home price 400K - very nice neighborhood with large lots.

LUCID MOTORS Factory In Casa Grande To Finally Become a Reality-coyote-ranch.jpg

And then plenty of "estate" homes with land for horses etc as in the pic below that sell for up to 800K+

LUCID MOTORS Factory In Casa Grande To Finally Become a Reality-cg-estate-home.jpg

And yes as Shampoo points out - the builders are returning here now - the city is currently working with 12 builders to fill in the 6000 lots that are graded and ready to go after the crash.

Things are looking up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area