Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:50 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,619 times

Advertisements

Say if I were to work in this address below, and I'd be commuting from either biltmore, central phoenix, or scottsdale then basically I'd have to check with my employer to see if they provide free/discount parking? how da hell else would I get there from the locations I listed above?

from either biltmore, central phoenix, or scottsdale

to

1850 North Central Avenue, phoenix, az
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 11:31 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1225 View Post
Say if I were to work in this address below, and I'd be commuting from either biltmore, central phoenix, or scottsdale then basically I'd have to check with my employer to see if they provide free/discount parking? how da hell else would I get there from the locations I listed above?

from either biltmore, central phoenix, or scottsdale

to

1850 North Central Avenue, phoenix, az
I do believe that's Viad Tower?

And I also believe they have a parking garage on site.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:56 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
I do believe that's Viad Tower?

And I also believe they have a parking garage on site.
If you lived in Central Phoenix, after Dec. you could take lightrail. From the Biltmore, you could take the bus three miles west, then hop on the lightrail from Camelback to the stop that is next to the Viad Tower. Camelback to McDowell is also three miles south. Your whole trip from the Biltmore area would be about six miles. Scottsdale is an entirely different story. You'd need a car, no doubt.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
If you lived in Central Phoenix, after Dec. you could take lightrail. From the Biltmore, you could take the bus three miles west, then hop on the lightrail from Camelback to the stop that is next to the Viad Tower. Camelback to McDowell is also three miles south. Your whole trip from the Biltmore area would be about six miles. Scottsdale is an entirely different story. You'd need a car, no doubt.
ok, thanks. Do you think my employer there will provide me with a free parking spot in the building? or are there any free street parking?

Old 09-14-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
also, how is the rush hour commute to/from Chandler to Viad Tower?

Old 09-14-2008, 03:21 PM

267 posts, read 898,180 times
Quote:
also, how is the rush hour commute to/from Chandler to Viad Tower?
Depends on what part of Chandler - but I'd say at least an hour. The 10 EB in the evenings is pretty horrible - the 60 is probably worse, but you might be able to avoid that. The 101 and 202 aren't all that much better, but everybody's got to get out of Phx one way or the other. You might be able to push it down to 45 minutes, but it took me 45 minutes with NO traffic accidents to head west, and east almost always had more accidents reported.

I'd definitely stick to downtown or Biltmore, if those are still two of your options.

Viad Tower is the old Dial Corp building right? They definitely have their own parking garage, but I don't think that all the tenants inside provide free parking in it - you'd have to ask your employer, and you'd probably end up paying out of pocket. On the bright side, I think the garage has 1000+ spots, so it's probably at least got vacancies. I've had to park 4 or 5 garages away from my office before, until I finally got my assigned, paid-for parking (gotta love government jobs) But, if you live downtown, you could get there by bike, bus, or light rail pretty easily. That building is along the light rail line.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_it_here View Post
Depends on what part of Chandler - but I'd say at least an hour. The 10 EB in the evenings is pretty horrible - the 60 is probably worse, but you might be able to avoid that. The 101 and 202 aren't all that much better, but everybody's got to get out of Phx one way or the other. You might be able to push it down to 45 minutes, but it took me 45 minutes with NO traffic accidents to head west, and east almost always had more accidents reported.

I'd definitely stick to downtown or Biltmore, if those are still two of your options.

Viad Tower is the old Dial Corp building right? They definitely have their own parking garage, but I don't think that all the tenants inside provide free parking in it - you'd have to ask your employer, and you'd probably end up paying out of pocket. On the bright side, I think the garage has 1000+ spots, so it's probably at least got vacancies. I've had to park 4 or 5 garages away from my office before, until I finally got my assigned, paid-for parking (gotta love government jobs) But, if you live downtown, you could get there by bike, bus, or light rail pretty easily. That building is along the light rail line.
thanks....Oh great...the problem is that we want to live in central phx, downtown, biltmore or scottsdale but I have work at Viad Tower(yes the old Dial building) and she has to go out to chandler. It seems like for the commute to be best, residing in Scottsdale would be best?(take 101)

Old 09-14-2008, 05:03 PM

267 posts, read 898,180 times
Quote:
thanks....Oh great...the problem is that we want to live in central phx, downtown, biltmore or scottsdale but I have work at Viad Tower(yes the old Dial building) and she has to go out to chandler. It seems like for the commute to be best, residing in Scottsdale would be best?(take 101)
Well, that's a little different. If you live IN downtown area, and commute "against the flow" out to Chandler, I'll bet the rush hour is only about 30 minutes. Most everyone else is coming IN from Chandler TO downtown Phx.

Living closer to downtown and commuting outward, you don't have the options of the RAPID (RAPID only runs with the major flow so into Downtown in the morning, and out of downtown in the afternoon) She might be able to find some rideshare or vanpool options, though. I wouldn't recommend the regular bus route - that would take WAAY too long. Even if she is driving though, like I said, going the opposite direction of 85% of the traffic on the road isn't so bad

Old 09-16-2008, 12:20 PM

8 posts, read 22,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
That actual street is Portland St looking west from 3rd Avenue, but there are numerous streets in the downtown area with neighborhoods that looks like that, mainly between 7th Ave and 7th St and from Portland St to around Thomas Ave. This are generally the historic neighborhoods of Phoenix and the prices are not cheap.

Are these safe neighborhoods to live in? I've heard bad things about downtown phoenix (We are moving from oregon to phoenix next year). These pics posted at the beginning of the post look like what i'm looking for in a neighborhood (I'm not crazy about the cookie cutter newer neighborhoods). I like the green...coming from oregon this will be nice to see!!
Also - what is considered "expensive"? We are looking to buy a house after renting for awhile.
thanks!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:43 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywork99 View Post
Are these safe neighborhoods to live in? I've heard bad things about downtown phoenix (We are moving from oregon to phoenix next year). These pics posted at the beginning of the post look like what i'm looking for in a neighborhood (I'm not crazy about the cookie cutter newer neighborhoods). I like the green...coming from oregon this will be nice to see!!
Also - what is considered "expensive"? We are looking to buy a house after renting for awhile.
thanks!
Downtown Phoenix and the Central City Precinct in Phoenix are among the safest in the Valley. PD reports that this precinct has the lowest occurrence of crime and an almost nonexistent murder rate. One reason, PD Headquarters, Sheriff HQ, Campus Police, DPS stations, etc., all are located in this area.

Expensive in these neighborhoods downtown are homes that are not less than $500,000. The picture of the street with the palm trees is Portland in the Roosevelt Historic Neighborhood. There is currently a house on sale there, I believe it is around 3000 sq. ft and the listing price is $1,099,000. The apartment homes in the picture are the Roosevelt Square apartments and run between $770 for a studio and $2100 for a two bedroom. Shop around, however, some deals in renovated, privately owned historic buildings can be a little less expensive, but not by much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area