Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times

Advertisements

Well...better go trade in all the Craftsman tools you have for new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Malls are dead with or without Sears.

I thought all of the Sears stores closed already anyway, that's how important that store is to me.
I'm wondering what's causing the general shift away from physical stores to online shopping.

Are people working more and having less free time than compared to 2-3 decades ago? Are people more lazy and just want everything delivered to their front door? Have big families that they want to devote time to and don't have enough time for shopping? Bored/annoyed with the whole shopping experience?

Seems like most of the retailers that are still alive are shifting towards delivery-based services. Or relying on the fact that they can get you what you want, without you having to browse around in the store.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM

2,275 posts, read 3,077,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...better go trade in all the Craftsman tools you have for new ones.
Ha ha. Actually, I'm sure they'll license off Craftsman and Kenmore to somewhere else as those brands are actually still fairly popular. One of the few things left that Sears still had going for them.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:02 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
With Sears likely to declare bankruptcy, I wonder what could it mean for our malls? I could potentially see Desert Sky Mall, Paradise Valley Mall, and Superstition Springs Center being hit hard if they lose Sears. However, I have been told that the Chandler Fashion Center Sears is one of the most profitable locations in the United States, and I wonder who can fill the spot if Sears goes under (Bloomingdale's perhaps?).
The last time I was in a Sears (not in Arizona) it was on a Saturday, and the mall was reasonably busy. I walked both levels of Sears and saw less than 10 customers. Sears has not been a "draw" for a long time.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM

848 posts, read 967,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
I'm wondering what's causing the general shift away from physical stores to online shopping.

Are people working more and having less free time than compared to 2-3 decades ago? Are people more lazy and just want everything delivered to their front door? Have big families that they want to devote time to and don't have enough time for shopping? Bored/annoyed with the whole shopping experience?

Seems like most of the retailers that are still alive are shifting towards delivery-based services. Or relying on the fact that they can get you what you want, without you having to browse around in the store.
Stores are good for look / touch / feel; the sort of thing you can't get from pictures on a website or videos on Youtube. But more often than not, the stuff with the best ratings, reviews, testing, etc. are only found online. These days, aside from consumables, physical stores are more of an emergency "I need this right now and can't wait 2 days for shipping" thing, for us. So order a good one online so you'll have it for next time, but get the cheap crap at the store for the issue at hand.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:17 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
Quote:

Well...I can answer for our situation at least.

First thing is convenience. Let's say I need to replace the filter in my humidifier. Do I run around trying to find a store that carries that particular brand...or order it on Amazon and have it here in 2 days? My son needs new jeans and he wants the exact same as what he has but a size bigger. Unless our daughter also wants to go look at what Tillys has on sale, I'll just order them online. If it is a more immediate need...we'll go to the store. Lowe's/Home Depot is a great example of that, you really can't go ordering the correct color paint online or get an extra widget for a project when you just broke/misplaced the one you had.

Second...online retailers have more inventory. Brick and mortar shops only stock a certain number of sizes in clothing. If we need (as in the above example) 3 pairs of jeans in a particular size...the local store may only have 2. (Yes, my son is either very particular or extremely boring in his clothing preferences). They may have a shirt in a different color than the local store (Pink Jazz will appreciate that when buying those Pink Izods).

Third, except when there is an immediate need, most online retailers will have your goods to your mailing address within a couple of days. I know most of us remember the old "4-6 weeks" shipping a few years ago but now that is only if you buy something from a Chinese retailer on EBay. Take gifts into consideration...I don't even have to personally ship a gift to a family/friend, I just put in their mailing address and ask for giftwrap option when checking out. We have had Prime for a couple of years and it pays for itself EVERY Christmas.

Long and short of it...we do go shopping every once in a while but a majority of our purchases are online. Except food...I still can't bring myself to do that. If you aren't an invalid or in some way incapacitated...grocery shopping online is just lazy.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:

You're really wondering why online shopping is more popular? Price, information and convenience. That was a tough one.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was told the Chandler Fashion Center location is one of Sears' best performing locations. I would not be surprised if Arrowhead Towne Center is also among one of their better performing locations. I think Chandler Fashion Center could possibly attract an upscale retailer if Sears goes under, considering the other anchors there.

Well, whatever you were told, the Chandler Fashion Center store is on the closure list, as is Desert Sky and what I presume to be near Superstition Springs (6515 E Southern, Mesa)

Old 10-15-2018, 10:32 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
I go to malls at least once every 2 to 3 years. Really... I bought 5 things online just this week. I haven't stepped inside of a Sears in about a decade. I'm part of their problem.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:19 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You're really wondering why online shopping is more popular? Price, information and convenience. That was a tough one.
Not really just about price, information, and convenience. If that was the primary motivating factor, online shopping should have grown exponentially compared to what it is now even in the days of slower Internet. We've had affordable personal computers, internet access, and accompanying logistics networks to deliver goods to homes (UPS/Fedex/DHL), and the internet browsers for the better part of 2 decades now. (even if you consider the old school dial up modems, they did exist already 20-ish years ago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area