Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:51 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,272,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I much prefer the convenience of a strip mall. Park near the store I want, get what I need, and go.

There is a lot to be said for that. I used to not mind the extra walking. I used to go to malls TO walk. Not so much any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 01:09 PM

50,364 posts, read 23,952,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I much prefer the convenience of a strip mall. Park near the store I want, get what I need, and go.
And then after a decade or so strip malls start looking crappy with empty storefront that make an area look blighted.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:20 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,754,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And then after a decade or so strip malls start looking crappy with empty storefront that make an area look blighted.
I hate strip malls. Give us walkable retail areas with apartments above them. This single-use land zoning is making Phoenix's sprawl worse, ruining our beautiful desert, and increasing our summer temperatures.

Malls can easily become housing, hospitals, hotels, so many things malls can become. They will not go to waste, even if the way we shop changes.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:16 PM

551 posts, read 689,836 times
I just wish they would start building some of these strip malls with a bit more care in terms of aesthetics akin to how some of the larger malls are (even many that closed down were really just amazing inside) because we have to look at them every day. I understand that shopping patterns have changed drastically over the last decade, but that doesn't mean we should throw aesthetics in the bin. These places are hideous on the outside and on the inside as well.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:56 AM

2,070 posts, read 1,625,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

Soon they'll be extinct.
As a realist, I am aware of the rise of eCommerce as a major factor in the demise of the shopping mall. Back in 2000 I was working at a marketing startup that was trying to automate marketing campaigns using web apps - an early form of business intelligence and data mining. The concept of data science was a root for this application, and it was focused on the web. I did my research and saw IT business articles proclaiming shopping malls would become extinct in coming decades due largely to eCommerce. That was around the fall of 2000. It was an extremely accurate article in hindsight now that in 2018 many malls across the country are dead.

But as an Arizonan, I miss the malls of my childhood: Los Arcos, Tri City, Fiesta, and Metro Center. In its hey day Los Arcos Mall was awesome with Sears and the Pancho's food buffet. Metro Center had a huge variety of shops adjacent to its malls like "Atomic Comics". I remember the line went around the block when "Star Wars - Return of the Jedi" opened at theater near Fiesta Mall in the summer of 1983. The arcade at Fiesta Mall was the "go to" place for early 80s teens when home video games were of very poor quality (think of games like "Pong" or "Asteroids").

In the midst of that was Sears. Out in rural Arizona at higher altitude where mud, rain, and snow are far more common, ranchers or game rangers who needed tire chains oftentimes would not be able to find it in those rural cities or even Phoenix. But in the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s they could order hard-to-find tire chains in a Sears catalog. Nowadays, the tire chains can just be ordered on Amazon for rural Arizonans who can't find it in local stores or Phoenix. The internet led to the demise of Sears. But I have fond memories of shopping there in childhood at places like Los Arcos Mall. Sears owned the 1970s retail market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4h7chFGQw8

Last edited by grad_student200; 10-24-2018 at 02:21 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 03:13 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,197,593 times
Their stores are such neglected dumps that I wonder how many will just get the business end of a wrecking ball instead of trying to fix?
The Sears store at the mall here (not in AZ) was so nice that they tore it down when the Sears closed.
They put up a new Dicks Sporting Goods in its place.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:04 PM

7,311 posts, read 12,250,593 times
Another Sears location was just added to the closure list today - Paradise Valley Mall. This leaves Arrowhead Towne Center as the only remaining location in the Phoenix area.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 AM

50,364 posts, read 23,952,006 times
Sometimes I think people forget.

Sure, we've had and have stores like Montgomery Wards and Sears going under.
But we've also gotten stores like Wal-Mart and Target.
I never heard of Kohl's growing up.

Things change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area