Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 AM

872 posts, read 998,915 times

Advertisements

A lot of Texas' cities can be very unpredictable in terms of weather. On paper it looks not half-bad, but in reality, it's another thing. For example, the Dallas area can get freezing temps and longer cold snaps than Phoenix. Not only that, but they can get snow and ice storms. The same goes for other "warmer" winter cities like Atlanta, Nashville and places in South Carolina

I just prefer Phoenix's stable and predictable winter/spring weather. Our "cold snaps" aren't really much of a change compared to the regular highs. I remember in Jan 2017 where we had more than 3 days of mid 50s and it was quite cloudy. I think that's as worse as it can get. I think even a place that had mid 50s and cloudy weather all winter would still be yuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Wife and myself from Ontario, Canada spent winters in the southwest for the years from O4 to 09 and loved it for the availability of a variety of landscapes. We would start in Yuma and spend a month or so there, then decamp and take the Semi tractor with Harley aboard and 5th wheel trailer to the Rio Grande Valley to spend another couple of months wending our way further along from McAllen north/west to end up over in San Diego to then return to Yuma.

We luxuriated in the beautiful warm DRY days and colder nights with sometimes waking up to frozen water lines. The more open spaces lend themselves to motorcycle touring of the very best kind and all of the various little towns in the areas mentioned are chock full of things to do along with people who are not standoffish but open and engaging.

We have now picked central Florida for the last 8/9 winters due to age and ease of traverse to and fro along with allergies (+4 to dust) not bothering me anywhere near as badly as they did in Arizona. Now instead of touring on the M/C we ride a cart and golf on one of the hundreds of golf courses available all over the central Florida area.

No one should be reluctant to snowbird in the Southwest. It's a beautiful area.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:30 PM

404 posts, read 480,313 times
This is our 2nd year snowbirding to Tucson. Desert evenings are cooler than we'd prefer, but we don't care for FL - at all. Spend a winter in Wisconsin and you'll know why we think winter in the Sonoran Desert is so wonderful. 45 degrees? No problem!! Plus, it's very beautiful here.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:08 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Just something to wonder about - I wonder how many snowbirds run their air conditioner in the winter. I never had to run the AC in the winter the entire time I lived here even in the warmer than average days; we never turned ours on before March and typically run the heat overnight starting around mid-December (earliest we turned on the heat was late November one year).

Old 11-28-2018, 01:28 PM

586 posts, read 540,975 times
I used to run AC all winter but now run it when inside temp is above 75. 10 years changes things!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Just something to wonder about - I wonder how many snowbirds run their air conditioner in the winter. I never had to run the AC in the winter the entire time I lived here even in the warmer than average days; we never turned ours on before March and typically run the heat overnight starting around mid-December (earliest we turned on the heat was late November one year).

Old 11-28-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
I used to run AC all winter but now run it when inside temp is above 75. 10 years changes things!!!!!
Surprisingly, many newer homes here in the Valley might actually be colder inside in the winter due to the use of radiant barriers. While radiant barriers reduce cooling costs in the summer, they can make a house somewhat colder in the winter and slightly increase heating costs.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:55 PM

404 posts, read 480,313 times
Quote:
We arrived this year on 9/30 and haven't turned on the a/c at all. Last year was warmer and had it on a couple times.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:46 PM

Heading down tomorrow, packed only shorts, Speedos, and tank tops. Should be all good hey??

Old 11-30-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Heading down tomorrow, packed only shorts, Speedos, and tank tops. Should be all good hey??
Well, on Sunday the high will be 60 degrees and the low will be 39 degrees. I typically need to wear a hoodie at those temperatures.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:13 PM

Positively tropical, that's a 60 degree jump in temperature jump, Can't wait to hit the pool!!!!!
Heater be damned.
Quote:
Well, on Sunday the high will be 60 degrees and the low will be 39 degrees. I typically need to wear a hoodie at those temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area