Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 05:43 AM

20 posts, read 47,527 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am thinking about moving to Phoenix in a few months, but I'm wondering if the heat is going to be unbearable in the summer for my dogs. Specifically, I'm worried about them burning their paws when they have to go outside. Are there any dog people that can give me some insight? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 06:04 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
They are OK on natural materials like gravel and, of course, grass that people have in their backyards. Artificial grass gets really hot but I doubt hot enough to burn the feet. We have pavers (bricks) for our patio and the dogs won't linger on it in summer. It is really scorching. A quick trot across to the gravel is OK, though. Sidewalks and asphalt are too hot for walking mid-day, but then only a fool would be out walking their dog in the heat of a summer day here. Don't worry about it. There's millions of dogs here that are doing just fine.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
I’ve has dogs my whole life here, don’t leave them in the car on hot days, don’t walk them on asphalt during the summer days, you walk early or late from June-Sept the rest of the year is really nice. There are dozens of dog parks, tons of dog friendly restaurants and endless trails across the state to take your hiking buddies with you.

Enjoy and welcome to Arizona!

Old 11-17-2018, 09:48 PM

20 posts, read 47,527 times
Thanks for the tips. We currently live in the center of Seoul, and our apartment is surrounded by only brick and asphalt, so getting the dogs outside to do their business in the middle of a summer day is always a bit tricky. Knowing that it gets well above 100F in the summer in Phoenix had me concerned, but I think we will just follow your advice and make it a priority to live in a neighborhood where they'll be able to walk on more natural surfaces. Thank you again and maybe we'll see you in a local dog park in the coming months. ^^

Old 11-18-2018, 05:24 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,894 times
A lot of people buy little booties for their dogs paws out here during the summer. Because yes the asphalt can get too hot, so if walking your dog on asphalt you should buy some. That's the most humane way to go about it.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
A lot of people buy little booties for their dogs paws out here during the summer. Because yes the asphalt can get too hot, so if walking your dog on asphalt you should buy some. That's the most humane way to go about it.
That’s a good point, we put those on our pup for hiking too since the rocks can be harsh on their paws.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgiomma View Post
Thanks for the tips. We currently live in the center of Seoul, and our apartment is surrounded by only brick and asphalt, so getting the dogs outside to do their business in the middle of a summer day is always a bit tricky. Knowing that it gets well above 100F in the summer in Phoenix had me concerned, but I think we will just follow your advice and make it a priority to live in a neighborhood where they'll be able to walk on more natural surfaces. Thank you again and maybe we'll see you in a local dog park in the coming months. ^^
You won’t find anything nearly as dense as Seoul here and just about every neighborhood has green space the dogs can go to play and/or a dog park nearby. One reason we don’t have daylight savings time here is to have an earlier sunset during the hottest months, even in the longest days of the year it’s dark by 8pm, although it’s still pretty toasty it’s not burn your feet hot in the evenings.

Always test the surface with your own feet or hand first, that will tell you if it’s safe for the pups.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:37 PM

383 posts, read 634,591 times
When the temperature is in the 90's and above, make sure you put booties on if you are walking on the pavement. Take your long walks at 5-6AM when the temps are lower. During the day, they do their business and take them inside.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
When I let my dogs out in the summer, they know to run very quickly across the concrete patio to the cool deck around my pool! (My boy will sunbathe next to the pool) As others have said, don't walk them in the heat of the day and it should go without saying but NEVER leave them in your car.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 AM

277 posts, read 276,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgiomma View Post
Hi all, I am thinking about moving to Phoenix in a few months, but I'm wondering if the heat is going to be unbearable in the summer for my dogs. Specifically, I'm worried about them burning their paws when they have to go outside. Are there any dog people that can give me some insight? Thank you!
There are dogs that live outside here year round
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: