Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Congratulations to Mesa for being the nation's largest suburb, and also for approaching the status of being Arizona's second largest city in the near future. Too bad it's mostly a blandish overgrown bedroom community, and has little to offer as far as nightlife, jobs, or cultural activities. Tempe would be the closest "suburb" for those things.
I agree, not much in Mesa in the way of nightlife...if you mean bars. Well, we do have bars, but no "bar scene" like Mill Avenue where one can hit several on foot in a short radius. But we have bars.

Jobs aren't as good as PHX or Chandler, but it's not all bleak - Apple, Boeing, Infineon, Bridgestone, Mitsubishi, Textron, and Dexcom all have significant operations in Mesa. I think Chandler has more because developers built the kind of offices that businesses want. For some reason, there's a shortage of light industrial/manufacturing and class A office space in Mesa. I have no idea why.

As for no culture? Have you ever looked at the event calendar for the Mesa Arts Center and the MCC Performing Arts Center? They're the secret gems of Mesa. I'm hoping to catch Stomp and Shen Yuan this year. We have art centers, art shows, and art walks - just like Scottsdale but without the upturned noses. We have festivals and sports games. Downtown Mesa is fun at Christmas. The New Years Eve Extravaganza at the National Comedy Club sounds pretty fun too.

Mesa may not have much that appeals to college age or 20-somethings, but there's plenty to do for the 30 and over crowd. More than most people probably realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 06:37 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,701 times
Quote:
Congratulations to Mesa for being the nation's largest suburb, and also for approaching the status of being Arizona's second largest city in the near future. Too bad it's mostly a blandish overgrown bedroom community, and has little to offer as far as nightlife, jobs, or cultural activities. Tempe would be the closest "suburb" for those things.
Thank goodness someone finally said this. Mesa is the worst of the burbs IMO. Heck, even Chandler has little downtown area with a few shops and restaurants.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:33 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Thank goodness someone finally said this. Mesa is the worst of the burbs IMO. Heck, even Chandler has little downtown area with a few shops and restaurants.
Many people were hoping the light rail extension would help spur development, but it hasn't happened much in Mesa (or in many parts on the Phoenix section of the line for that matter). Seems like Tempe is the east Valley city which has benefitted the most, but that's largely because it's landlocked, and the only way to grow is upward and inward.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Being from Orange County I considered Long Beach as just a big suburb. I never considered my OC town a suburb of Long Beach, they are all LA suburbs in my book.
I get what you're saying, but keep in mind that it IS possible for a metropolitan area to have more than one urban center.

Long Beach is actually very urbanized. It is a major port/harbor and center of commerce and industry for Southern California, and really, the Southwest U.S. when you factor in the truck traffic in and out of the port.

Long Beach also has a significant skyline with lots of high rises and office buildings, a world-renowned aquarium, lots of ethnic diversity, a large LGBT population, liberal political activism, a state university branch and a vibrant downtown nightlife. It has pockets of very wealthy (Bixby Knolls, El Dorado Park, Naples Marina, State College, Belmont Shore, etc) and very poor areas (North Long Beach, Hellman, Zaferia, CambodiaTown, etc).

A "suburb" ????

Last edited by kttam186290; 12-05-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 03:22 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
So, why is Tempe a suburb of Phoenix while Long Beach isn't a suburb of Los Angeles? They both have a downtown skyline and are major employment centers. In fact Tempe has a higher population density than Phoenix. I haven't met anyone who doesn't consider Tempe a suburb of Phoenix.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:48 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,319 times
To add to this discussion, would you then consider Riverside and San Bernardino suburbs of Los Angeles? Residents of those cities would say "absolutely not."

Old 12-08-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
So, why is Tempe a suburb of Phoenix while Long Beach isn't a suburb of Los Angeles? They both have a downtown skyline and are major employment centers. In fact Tempe has a higher population density than Phoenix. I haven't met anyone who doesn't consider Tempe a suburb of Phoenix.
Long Beach was already an established city for many years ... in fact, it was even more populous than Phoenix up until the 1960 census. What happened was Los Angeles & Orange Counties grew around it, and it basically became a Los Angeles suburb, even though it's really a city of its own. Tempe was pretty much a small town until about the 1980s, and the rest of the east Valley grew around it & forced it to become landlocked. That's why Tempe has a higher population density, and why it looks & feels like a fairly large city, despite its population still being under 200,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
To add to this discussion, would you then consider Riverside and San Bernardino suburbs of Los Angeles? Residents of those cities would say "absolutely not."
I'd say they are distant L.A. suburbs, especially since they're part of the Los Angeles consolidated metro area. But there again, both of them (especially San Bernardino) were already established small cities before the eastward suburban sprawl took hold. Now, you can't really tell the difference between Riverside & Moreno Valley, or between San Bernardino & Rialto.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Quote:
Many people were hoping the light rail extension would help spur development, but it hasn't happened much in Mesa (or in many parts on the Phoenix section of the line for that matter). Seems like Tempe is the east Valley city which has benefitted the most, but that's largely because it's landlocked, and the only way to grow is upward and inward.

There is some new restaurant development downtown, thanks to the Mesa Arts Center. But, it's been slower coming than it needs to be. There are still redevelopment plans in the works, I think.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There is some new restaurant development downtown, thanks to the Mesa Arts Center. But, it's been slower coming than it needs to be. There are still redevelopment plans in the works, I think.
Yes, I know there have been some efforts to revitalize the downtown area, but Mesa is still very much concentrated on suburban type of growth/development. Development of the central core is a lesser priority. The light rail extension hasn't done much of anything for Apache Blvd/Main Street ... still plenty of vacant lots and pretty much an eyesore.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 PM

545 posts, read 411,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Nobody in L.A. or Southern California thinks of Long Beach as a "suburb", to be honest.

Although within L.A. County, it's a city of its own with its own set of suburbs that spill over into Orange County (Seal Beach, Sunset Beach, Los Alamitos, etc.)

kttam is correct. Long Beach is a secondary/satellite city of LA. It's the Southland's version of Oakland. Or Tacoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area