Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:07 AM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Worst was 1980 (or maybe 78 too) when floods washed out all the bridges and crossings but one over the Salt/Gila River. I lived on the "wrong" side then in Ahwahtukee. It took between 3 and 5 hours to get to work just across the river.
Late January1980. I was at ASU, lived on the north side of the river, so I would drive to the zoo, park there, and bike across the Mill Avenue bridge, which was one of two over the Salt. The other was one of the two I-10 bridges, I don't remember the direction which was temporarily closed. The March 1978 floods washed out the low water crossings (McKellips, Rural, 40th, 7th, etc) but the bridges were all OK.

New Years Eve, 1976 (?) it got very cold (a relative term) in the East Valley, mid- to low-20s. A lot of growers had damaged citrus, and on New Years Day the apartment complex my grandmother managed needed me to clean up and remove a lot of Indian Fig prickly pear pads that had frozen overnight and fallen off the plants. It wasn't that cold, not compared to the Northeast of Upper Midwest, but what was unusual about that "cold" spell was the duration... it was below freezing for several hours, followed by a bright, sunny morning that quickly melted the frozen plants, further damaging them. I ended up with two or three wheelbarrows full of cactus pads, too damaged to use as nopales or nopalitos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,720 times
Our first new years eve here 5 years ago it snowed big snowflakes at the bikini lounge about 20 minutes before the countdown. the entire bar ran outside. My native phoenix friend said he's never seen it snow downtown in his lifetime.
That's all I got when it comes to "worst winter" lol.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Late January1980. I was at ASU, lived on the north side of the river, so I would drive to the zoo, park there, and bike across the Mill Avenue bridge, which was one of two over the Salt. The other was one of the two I-10 bridges, I don't remember the direction which was temporarily closed. The March 1978 floods washed out the low water crossings (McKellips, Rural, 40th, 7th, etc) but the bridges were all OK.

New Years Eve, 1976 (?) it got very cold (a relative term) in the East Valley, mid- to low-20s. A lot of growers had damaged citrus, and on New Years Day the apartment complex my grandmother managed needed me to clean up and remove a lot of Indian Fig prickly pear pads that had frozen overnight and fallen off the plants. It wasn't that cold, not compared to the Northeast of Upper Midwest, but what was unusual about that "cold" spell was the duration... it was below freezing for several hours, followed by a bright, sunny morning that quickly melted the frozen plants, further damaging them. I ended up with two or three wheelbarrows full of cactus pads, too damaged to use as nopales or nopalitos.
You're right. 10 was partially open in 1980. That's the road I used. I recall vendors walking among the stalled traffic selling newspapers (remember those?) and coffee.

It used to get really cold around here compared to now. I recall mid-teens every couple years in the cold spots in south Phoenix. The orange groves that are now Gilbert would use "frost water" and had those fans in the rows to pull down warmer air above the inversion. Over the years, it has warmed in the urban areas and we see all kinds of plants now that would never have made it back then.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:35 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
It must have been around December 2014 when the Superstitions got a dusting of snow and my car windshield had frost on it one morning. Like, legit frost you had to scrape. I got to work that day and a coworker, who is a local, was late. When she finally got to work, she was freaking out about the fact that she had frost on her windshield. She was telling everyone she didn’t know if she could come to work because her car was “covered in ice!” It made her an hour late.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 AM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It must have been around December 2014 when the Superstitions got a dusting of snow and my car windshield had frost on it one morning. Like, legit frost you had to scrape. I got to work that day and a coworker, who is a local, was late. When she finally got to work, she was freaking out about the fact that she had frost on her windshield. She was telling everyone she didn’t know if she could come to work because her car was “covered in ice!” It made her an hour late.
There were times when Camelback Mountain, Squaw/Piestewa Peak and the Phoenix Mountains, South Mountain and even Mummy Mountain would see a dusting of snow. I only saw a few flakes, once, and the kids down the street were all screaming "It's snowing!" There were a number of times in the 80s I had to scrape frost off the windshield before going to ASU, and as a kid the small hills in Chestnut Park next to my school were a favorite place to slide down on a piece of cardboard or for those of us with better balance and/or coordination, on foot, during those occasional days when a heavy frost covered the grass.

Those hills seemed so tall back then... I saw them two weeks ago when visiting for Thanksgiving, not too tall now, and we can't blame it on erosion.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:53 AM

Scraping frost is still an occasional treat for those who live in the outer suburbs where the heat island hasn't yet reached. Thick fog, too.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 AM

Maybe this winter will make some memories. I was up at my place on the Rim this weekend looking at all the white stuff and thinking it has been quite some time since I have seen decent snow around Clints Well this early in December.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:32 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Scraping frost is still an occasional treat for those who live in the outer suburbs where the heat island hasn't yet reached. Thick fog, too.
This was a particularly unusual day, apparently, because she lived near downtown LOL

Juat had to laugh at her "my car was covered in ice" thing since I lived where freezing rain happens and i have had to deal with a car covered in actual ice many times, often with snow on top of it.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
This was a particularly unusual day, apparently, because she lived near downtown LOL

Juat had to laugh at her "my car was covered in ice" thing since I lived where freezing rain happens and i have had to deal with a car covered in actual ice many times, often with snow on top of it.
Especially when the wipers freeze to the window. I have driven the first couple miles to work with my head out the window here too because the window would frost over. I keep anti-freeze wiper fluid in the tank because I go up north a lot, but most people just have regular and it freezes to the window on some very cold mornings if you try to use it to melt the frost.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
I remember the 1978 flood that took out most of the bridges around the valley. The Bell Rd bridge between Sun City and Sun City West was completely lifted and moved about a 1/4 mile downstream by the flooding Agua Fria River. People were stranded for days or longer in parts of the valley.
https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/...-over-arizona/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area