Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:23 AM

149 posts, read 151,661 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

I"m sure there is a post somewhere on this forum but I have not been able to find it. So, I'll pose my question here with the hopes that someone has experience .
Obviously we will be relocating in the near future and have been thinking about new build compared to resale. Has anyone done this from a distance. Probably thinking of a 6 month head start until closing date. What are the pros and cons of such a deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 10:44 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,720 times
I would never do it. You would be better off to rent here while your house is being built. I honestly can't think of a single reason that this idea would make any sense whatsoever. I worked in new home construction for a while and would never trust any builder enough to not do inspections of the build at least every few days. Very few on this forum would even advise you to buy resale before moving here, much less build a home. The valley is huge and diverse and impossible to get a realistic feel for from across the country. Move here, rent for six months, scope things out before you buy will be the most common piece of advice you will receive here. Good luck on your move and I hope you love Arizona as much as my wife and I do.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
I purchased a new build in December 2007 and was out of the area until July 2008 when we moved here, inspected the house, and closed.

It worked out well. I had my realtor send me pictures weekly of the build process and I did find one issue during the build (A/C's installed on wrong side of house) that were corrected once I identified the issue. I also hired a home inspector that inspected the house for me towards the end of the build.

I worked out for us but a lot of things have to go right.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:20 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I don't see the problem here. Strictly speaking, you are not even supposed to be on the construction site of your home. Unless you know something about the process, what would you be able to tell anyway? Driving down and picking up the keys is no different from buying one of the many spec homes builders have ready - which is another option falling somewhere between new and resale.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:08 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
I agree with Pond, especially with a larger builder. The process is more idiot proof than ever, and more parts are prefabricated, too. The process is much faster and the quality is better. You will still have a warranty, after you close. My mid 80s parents did this last year with Ryan, and I watched some of the neighboring houses being put up, while I was visiting. There was a sprinkling of spec homes and also the model home was next door. A little reasearch into the building lot, will go a very long way, and will prevent many future problems...like cracks from clay soil.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:39 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't see the problem here. Strictly speaking, you are not even supposed to be on the construction site of your home. Unless you know something about the process, what would you be able to tell anyway? Driving down and picking up the keys is no different from buying one of the many spec homes builders have ready - which is another option falling somewhere between new and resale.
I agree if you don't know anything about construction but if you do and know how things should be done, you want to be there inspecting what they do....wife wants to build a house that we design....I pity the construction manager of that.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:32 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
If I was building a custom build, one thing I would insist on is NOT putting the HVAC and ducts in the attic. Stupid idea from an energy efficiency standpoint and it's done here all the time (not sure about new builds these days, however.)

Old 12-30-2018, 06:51 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
If I was building a custom build, one thing I would insist on is NOT putting the HVAC and ducts in the attic. Stupid idea from an energy efficiency standpoint and it's done here all the time (not sure about new builds these days, however.)
they want to put the hvac unit up there too, which is also terrible. the future is clearly in ductless systems.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:55 PM

186 posts, read 195,319 times
If you have a good builder there should be no issue. My builder’s sales agent took weekly photos of the progress and I flew out for a pre-drywall inspection. The builder’s punch-out team covered the house front to back, inside and out with hundreds of blue tape flaw markers. They also had a pre-closing inspection, and a one-year warranty walkthrough. Unless you are a home builder, you probably wouldn’t be as thorough as they were. Any and all issues that cropped up were handled without question and very promptly. Choose your builder carefully and you’ll have no problem.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:06 PM

720 posts, read 734,167 times
I would do my research and come out and pick and choose which community I want - and to be honest - I always love the "inventory homes" if you can do a quick close you usually get a pretty good deal so if you're not intending on coming first and researching but to pick and choose then I would go that route - you get some upgrades included - just you have to make sure of the lot you're getting - if you're not doing a custom home and choosing one of these builders here - they're going to charge you a realtor fee anyway - so best to get your own realtor who can advise you and be your advocate - the realtors from the builders represent the builder - so that to me is critical especially if you're going to be out of town you need boots on ground here ... best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: